Connecting a passive subwoofer to modern recievers directly.

K

KiranH

Enthusiast
What would happen if I take a passive subwoofer's bare wire split cable, install an RC jack and connect it to Sub pre-out of a reciever? Will it work?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What would happen if I take a passive subwoofer's bare wire split cable, install an RC jack and connect it to Sub pre-out of a reciever? Will it work?
No, it dosent have power to drive the sub. You need an additional amplifier. What sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hooking a passive sub to one of the powered speaker terminals on the avr isn't a good idea either fwiw. As was said, you need an amp between avr and sub for the sub pre-out to work properly.

K

KiranH

Enthusiast
You're right, but I couldn't find any subwoofer amps or low pass filters in my locality. Can it be made with right tools and equipment?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You're right, but I couldn't find any subwoofer amps or low pass filters in my locality. Can it be made with right tools and equipment?
No. You would need lots of equipment and have to have extensive design experience and skills.

Where do you live? Power amps should not he hard to find. The receiver already has the low pass filter. You just need a powerful enough power amp.

K

KiranH

Enthusiast
No. You would need lots of equipment and have to have extensive design experience and skills.

Where do you live? Power amps should not he hard to find. The receiver already has the low pass filter. You just need a powerful enough power amp.
I live in India, I did find dayton audio subwoofer amps but here they cost as much as a new 8" active sub.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I live in India, I did find dayton audio subwoofer amps but here they cost as much as a new 8" active sub.
What sub are you trying to power? If it's a HTiB sub, its probably better to get a new real sub. An 8" sub is meh.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see what you mean. A 100 watt plate amp is around $15,000 Rupees, which is about $220 USD. I agree that an 8" sub will likely be a disappointment. You should probably be looking at 10" powered subs.

I have long known that the home audio market in India is small, but the car market quite large.

K

KiranH

Enthusiast
I see what you mean. A 100 watt plate amp is around $15,000 Rupees, which is about $220 USD. I agree that an 8" sub will likely be a disappointment. You should probably be looking at 10" powered subs.

I have long known that the home audio market in India is small, but the car market quite large.
Yeah, even electronic shops dont have any idea of home theater products. I have a boston acoustics 12" sub in a home made wooden cabinet. Im trying hard to make use of it. And $220 with taxes goes upto $330. So, yeah electronics market is a bit costlier. Anyway thanks for your input.

K

KiranH

Enthusiast
I have a old custom made Subwoofer amplifier that i use with another setup, please find the attached images. I will try to duplicate this.

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a old custom made Subwoofer amplifier that i use with another setup, please find the attached images. I will try to duplicate this.
If you can get your hands on a small class d or h amplifier 60 to 100w @4ohms, and add a passive HPF and crossover, that would work. Here in the US they cost around $80 for the amp and under $20 for the other two.

If not and you want to build an amp, go for it, but I'd probably skip the endeavor untill a new unit can be purchased.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cannot get my hands on used products, since no one has any idea about it.
Hard to believe there's no market for used pro amps at all....I could believe it might be small tho....or does everyone buy new and use them until they no longer work?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hard to believe there's no market for used pro amps at all....I could believe it might be small tho....or does everyone buy new and use them until they no longer work?
Things are very different in India. Homes are on the whole small and stable electricity supplies in parts can be a problem. Above all the gap between what is luxury and necessity is far different from here. In other words the market for this sort of gear is in no way comparable to here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Things are very different in India. Homes are on the whole small and stable electricity supplies in parts can be a problem. Above all the gap between what is luxury and necessity is far different from here. In other words the market for this sort of gear is in no way comparable to here.
I've seen used gear (even regular consumer audio gear) commented on by others in India so curious. I wasn't comparing it to the US.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis