Suggestions for Surround Speakers with Elac Front/Center?

N

Neo_2020

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am new to home theater systems and am in the process of setting up a 5.1 system in my home. Currently, I have Elac Debut b6.2 for my front L/R, Elac c6.2 for my center, and SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer. I wanted to use Elac OW4.2 for my surround but my surround junction box is on ceiling and it does not seem like I can easily mount Elacs on ceiling (do not have any keyholes). I am wondering if I can use Polk S10s for surround in this setup or if there are any other suggestions?
Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting indeed. Is there a reason you don’t want to mount them on the wall instead, where they normally go?

N

Neo_2020

Audiophyte
I do not have wall in that area and the speaker connectors are on the ceiling. However, I believe I have figured out how to mount Elacs using the OmniMount ceiling mount. Will give it a try next week and hopefully will not damage the speakers in the process (as it seems to require drilling in the speakers).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I do not have wall in that area and the speaker connectors are on the ceiling. However, I believe I have figured out how to mount Elacs using the OmniMount ceiling mount. Will give it a try next week and hopefully will not damage the speakers in the process (as it seems to require drilling in the speakers).
Don’t be scared...
But do be smart.
Have a good drill, with a good drill guide.
How many mounting points are needed? Using threaded inserts? How heavy is the speaker?

N

Neo_2020

Audiophyte
Need two mounting points.
The speakers do not have threaded inserts, so will need to use #12 or #14 wood screws with mounting plate.
The speakers are about 8 lbs.
Omnimount 15C can hold up to 15 lbs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need two mounting points.
The speakers do not have threaded inserts, so will need to use #12 or #14 wood screws with mounting plate.
The speakers are about 8 lbs.
Omnimount 15C can hold up to 15 lbs.
I currently use some 10.5 lb speakers with those mounts....like all that style mount IME getting it to stay at the desired angle can take some real torquing down of the clamp on the ball, was worse when I had used some 14lb speakers....8lbs should be easier, tho. Be sure not to drill into any crossover :)

N

Neo_2020

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your help. Just wanted to report that I successfully installed the ELAC OW4.2s on ceiling using Omnimount 15C. As a reference for anyone looking for how to do this, I drilled two holes in the back of the speaker as described in the mount's manual. I drilled the holes as high as I could with the mount plate aligned with the top of the speaker and used the #12 wood screws provided with the mount. I am not sure if the procedure has effectively voided my speaker warranty or not, so consider the risks before attempting this.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you all for your help. Just wanted to report that I successfully installed the ELAC OW4.2s on ceiling using Omnimount 15C. As a reference for anyone looking for how to do this, I drilled two holes in the back of the speaker as described in the mount's manual. I drilled the holes as high as I could with the mount plate aligned with the top of the speaker and used the #12 wood screws provided with the mount. I am not sure if the procedure has effectively voided my speaker warranty or not, so consider the risks before attempting this.
The thought-crime of thinking about drilling into your cabinets voided the warranty! The rest was just for fun!!! :p
:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as you didn't incur the need for the warranty by drilling into the passive network or similar, probably not a big worry unless you want to sell them, depending how clean a job you do (you could always add inserts later and say it's a custom job :) ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis