P

powermang

Enthusiast
Good Morning,

I've been incrementally improving my home theater over the years and i'm finally at a point where i'm reasonably happy with the way it sounds, however, there is always room for improvement. Currently my setup is as follows.

dedicated room approx: 1620 cubic feet (15ftx12ft)
Pionner VSX-LX303
LRC -ELAC debut 2.0 B6.2
2x Surrounds and 4xAtmos - ELAC debut 2.0 OW4.2
Subs - 2x PB1000 front corners
2xELAC Sub3010 back corners
2x4 minidsp

Looking for thoughts on where i should be looking for my next incremental move? Happy with the number of speakers i have and honestly wouldn't have the space or interest in adding any more atmos speakers.
I have been wondering if my next move should be upgrading my AVR? Would there be any benefit to moving over to Denon? Perhaps the Denon 4500H, the biggest difference between my current pioneer and the denon 4500H is power, the pioneer is rated 100 watts per channel while the Denon is 125. Would the head room in power bring more clarity and less distortion? Generally listen to my movies around -10 or -12. Loud but not excessive. The Pioneer does not have pre-outs so a preamp is not an option and from what i gather on the forums may not be all that beneficial.
Another thought would be upgrading my LRC. I see there are some improvements to the ELAC Deput speakers with the new reference line.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good Morning,

I've been incrementally improving my home theater over the years and i'm finally at a point where i'm reasonably happy with the way it sounds, however, there is always room for improvement. Currently my setup is as follows.

Pionner VSX-LX303
LRC -ELAC debut 2.0 B6.2
2x4 minidsp

Looking for thoughts on where i should be looking for my next incremental move? Happy with the number of speakers i have and honestly wouldn't have the space or interest in adding any more atmos speakers.
I have been wondering if my next move should be upgrading my AVR? Would there be any benefit to moving over to Denon? Perhaps the Denon 4500H, the biggest difference between my current pioneer and the denon 4500H is power, the pioneer is rated 100 watts per channel while the Denon is 125. Would the head room in power bring more clarity and less distortion? Generally listen to my movies around -10 or -12. Loud but not excessive. The Pioneer does not have pre-outs so a preamp is not an option and from what i gather on the forums may not be all that beneficial.
Another thought would be upgrading my LRC. I see there are some improvements to the ELAC Deput speakers with the new reference line.
The difference in power from 100W to 125W is completely negligible! 3db SPL gain is a doubling of power.

Only upgrade the AVR if there are newer features or protocols that you are lacking today.

Have you done any room treatments? That would be a good upgrade to consider.

You mention minidsp, do you have measurement gear to tune the sound to the room? That would be the next step to consider.

How about your TV? Is it lacking in any way?

Beyond that, quit worrying about it and enjoy what you have!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Elac Debut Speakers are great value for the $, but there are plenty of much better speakers. Speakers, is there you'd see the most impact of updating, not AVR.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I would also consider upgrading your speakers. Do you have a budget?

P

powermang

Enthusiast
Okay...Speakers are clearly the winner here.

Is it okay to just update the LRC and leave the effects speakers as they are? I'm pretty happy with the ELAC on walls.

In terms of budget, probably in the 1500 range for now. Book shelf speakers fit best into my listening environment. Any thoughts on brands in this price range?

R

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay...Speakers are clearly the winner here.

Is it okay to just update the LRC and leave the effects speakers as they are? I'm pretty happy with the ELAC on walls.

In terms of budget, probably in the 1500 range for now. Book shelf speakers fit best into my listening environment. Any thoughts on brands in this price range?

R
Yes. The surrounds (including Atmos) do not need to match your mains and center. Even though it is convention, your center doesn’t necessarily need to match your mains. (But that gets complicated. ;))
Having the voicing match well between your front three, and having a center channel design that promotes clear dialog is what is important. Matching brand and model (ie using all Monitor Audio Silver) goes a long way to solve for the first. Research and auditioning is the only way you can guarantee satisfaction in that last point.

$1500 for new front 3?

Can you consider using all matched stand mounts across your front, or do you need that horizontal center?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some of the good [imo] options for $1500 LCR :
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/16550-c-lcr-center-channel-speaker?category_id=1964848-center-speakers
http://gr-research.com/centrare.aspx [(he most unusual visually, but probably best value right here)
SVS Ultra Bookshelf and Center would be a good option as well. but bit over the budget

P

powermang

Enthusiast
Yes. The surrounds (including Atmos) do not need to match your mains and center. Even though it is convention, your center doesn’t necessarily need to match your mains. (But that gets complicated. ;))
Having the voicing match well between your front three, and having a center channel design that promotes clear dialog is what is important. Matching brand and model (ie using all Monitor Audio Silver) goes a long way to solve for the first. Research and auditioning is the only way you can guarantee satisfaction in that last point.

$1500 for new front 3?

Can you consider using all matched stand mounts across your front, or do you need that horizontal center?
yes, 1500 for front 3.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
yes, 1500 for front 3.
If you like the Elac Debuts, would you consider a step up the ladder to the Uni-Fi? From what I have been able to see online, you can upgrade, even to the floorstanding UF5s for less than your $1.5K budget. Food for thought...

P

powermang

Enthusiast
If you like the Elac Debuts, would you consider a step up the ladder to the Uni-Fi? From what I have been able to see online, you can upgrade, even to the floorstanding UF5s for less than your $1.5K budget. Food for thought...
Thats a good idea, i'm thinking about some UF5 floor standers, could maybe make that work.

Also, pricing out the SVS Ultra book shelves. All good ideas. Thank you.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good Morning,

Pionner VSX-LX303
LRC -ELAC debut 2.0 B6.2
2x4 minidsp

You have not described the improvement sought, or any performance issue, so it appears your system satisfies. With that in mind, maybe you don't do anything and just enjoy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As usual, post #2 completely ignored, that just isn't the "fun" option, but it should be heavily considered!

P

powermang

Enthusiast
As usual, post #2 completely ignored, that just isn't the "fun" option, but it should be heavily considered!
My apologies, i would entertain the idea of room treatments.

I do have REW and a mic for testing, however, i have never been really sure how to tell what i would need i terms of treatments.
Base traps might prove difficult due to a doorway in one of the back corners of the room. I have considered side wall treatment, that seems like something that isn't too complicated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats a good idea, i'm thinking about some UF5 floor standers, could maybe make that work.

Also, pricing out the SVS Ultra book shelves. All good ideas. Thank you.
The Ultra speakers are very good. My 5.1 setup are all Ultra speakers and I love 'em. I kept an eye on SVS' outlet (which is currently wiped out fromsale a recent sale) and ended up scoring 3 Ultra bookshelf speakers for $399 apiece. I don't know if you can do much better than that, bang for buck. They're very neutral, accurate speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis