GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
No it’s more personal using manual setup! Audyssey is in its glory for Atmos or multi subs but with 5.1 manual is more than good enough!

I agree, you feel like you've accomplished something. I noticed the sub sounds a lot more solid and not boomy!
I actually have a 5.2.1 with 2 front height dolby speakers.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
In your opinion what is best? Audyssey, Dirac or YMMV? Or is that personal too?'''lol..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without measuring your results hard to know if your manual setup was an improvement. Audyssey generally doesn't result in boomy subs IME (unless inherent in the subs perhaps). Audyssey does quite well with subs generally, Dirac gets very good marks from many as well....Trinnov or Room Perfect are well regarded too.... I think we need to resolve your calibration first tho :)

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
In your opinion what is best? Audyssey, Dirac or YMMV? Or is that personal too?'''lol..
I’ve never used any! Only read about them. My system is calibrated to my taste and no one I know personally has a clue about audio. In all honesty I’m only impressing myself with my HT!

I’m not looking for perfect just good enough and that’s why all I ever used was SPL meter, measuring tape, my ears and sub crawl! Basic without all the technology!

Never been disappointed! Don’t max my volume ever usually 20% below reference level most of the time!

And if my setup could sound marginally better with the tech such as audyssey that’s great however not in a rush I’m just young old fashioned I guess:)

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Without measuring your results hard to know if your manual setup was an improvement. Audyssey generally doesn't result in boomy subs IME (unless inherent in the subs perhaps). Audyssey does quite well with subs generally, Dirac gets very good marks from many as well....Trinnov or Room Perfect are well regarded too.... I think we need to resolve your calibration first tho :)

Sub is HSU. Audyssey does a good job but it seemed muffled when watching TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sub is HSU. Audyssey does a good job but it seemed muffled when watching TV.
Maybe you need to say more than you just have Audyssey enabled when watching tv....the sub brand doesn't mean a lot either.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Maybe you need to say more than you just have Audyssey enabled when watching tv....the sub brand doesn't mean a lot either.
Not sure what else I can say? Normally I set to DTS + Neutral X on the receiver. I turned off Audyssey for the manual set up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what else I can say? Normally I set to DTS + Neutral X on the receiver. I turned off Audyssey for the manual set up.
It just doesn't tell me all the possible settings that can come under the Audyssey umbrella. The brand of the sub is a good one, but the brand alone doesn't tell me much. That's all I meant....I'm an information junkie and I need moar! :)

If you run manual setup you have no choice but not to use Audyssey, they do not co-exist (altho you can make some changes to settings after running Audyssey). What about why you're goosing the trim levels to get to 80dB even tho you have master volume only set at 75 dB? Why?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Why would the LPF of LFE do that? Or, @GuitarPicker are you saying you have the low pass filter on the sub itself set at 120?
120Hz set in receiver. Lowered to 80Hz. Can't tell much difference. At lower volumes the sub does not engage on auto setting. After following HTfreak2004 recommendations it sounds really good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
120Hz set in receiver. Lowered to 80Hz. Can't tell much difference. At lower volumes the sub does not engage on auto setting. After following HTfreak2004 recommendations it sounds really good.
Cool. The LPF of LFE should only affect content with an actual LFE channel (.1) rather than redirected bass. Usually the way to get an auto on to trigger is by raising the sub trim in the avr (and lower the gain on the sub by a like amount) to get a stronger signal. What sub trim level do you have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, you feel like you've accomplished something. I noticed the sub sounds a lot more solid and not boomy!
I actually have a 5.2.1 with 2 front height dolby speakers.
BTW that should be expressed as 5.1.2....subs go in the middle

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Cool. The LPF of LFE should only affect content with an actual LFE channel (.1) rather than redirected bass. Usually the way to get an auto on to trigger is by raising the sub trim in the avr (and lower the gain on the sub by a like amount) to get a stronger signal. What sub trim level do you have?

Trim level is set to 50%, HSU recommends at 9 o'clock.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Trim level is set to 50%, HSU recommends at 9 o'clock.
Recommendations are one thing, reality another. Trim in your avr means what sub level setting (+/- dB). Gain on the sub itself as far as the knob position goes is a poor indicator generally, maybe a starting point as a suggestion for setup.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Recommendations are one thing, reality another. Trim in your avr means what sub level setting (+/- dB). Gain on the sub itself as far as the knob position goes is a poor indicator generally, maybe a starting point as a suggestion for setup.
Yeah I’d say go back down to 9 or 10 o’clock so the the AVR is more like -5ish...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis