New to all this Audio

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
Hey everyone new here name is Eric.

just built a house about a year ago and finally got all my audio gear installed. I have a pioneer SC-LX801. Im currently running 7.1.2 with front ceiling Atmos speakers.

question I’m running Disney+ via my PS4 (bitstream Dolby) why am I not getting the option of Atmos if the show is Atmos enabled?

Last edited:
A

AMG16

Audiophyte
So basically it’s objected based and not true Atmos, so that’s why it’s not coming up? Sorry I’m new to all this home theater stuff. Had a real basic out the box onkyo 5.1 system at my old house. Loved the system and surround sound...so decided to go bigger

Trying to learn a lot in the process now since I upgraded.

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone new here name is Eric.

just built a house about a year ago and finally got all my audio gear installed. I have a pioneer SC-LX801. Im currently running 7.2.1 with front ceiling Atmos speakers.

question I’m running Disney+ via my PS4 (bitstream Dolby) why am I not getting the option of Atmos if the show is Atmos enabled?
Welcome, Eric, I am not sure if your ps4 supports Atmos, also I am providing link related to Disney streaming service.
Here, https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-plus-dolby-atmos-problems/
Secondly, is the ps4 connected to your pioneer AV receiver?

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
From what I have been reading if you have a receiver that is Atmos and the PS4 is set to bitstream it would work. Previous movies I’ve watched on the PS4 would come up Atmos. That’s what got me confused.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I have been reading if you have a receiver that is Atmos and the PS4 is set to bitstream it would work. Previous movies I’ve watched on the PS4 would come up Atmos. That’s what got me confused.
If your PS4 could do it with others I'd suspect an app limitation....

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Those previous movies you have watched, which Atmos worked, where they streamed from the Disney stream service?

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
No, they were Blu-ray from Redbox
Atmos worked with the Blu-ray movies, but is not reproducing with Disney streaming service or the specific movie you streamed.

Quoting from the Digital trends
Disney+ also offers Dolby Atmos sound mixes on selected content, including the Marvel movies and every single Star Wars flick, including the original trilogy.Atmos, 4K, and Dolby Vision HDR are included in Disney+’s standard $7 subscription fee.

Officially, any Atmos-friendly device should be able to stream Dolby Atmos on Disney+, but that functionality isn’t working on certain pieces of hardware quite yet. Disney told Digital Trends that it’s aware of the problem, and will be rolling out fixes for more devices soon.

When Disney was ramping up the hype machine for its Disney+ streaming service, one of the biggest benefits it touted was the availability of both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on a significant chunk of its banner content. Movies like the Star Wars franchise, which would be presented in 4K HDR for the first time, and shows like the Disney+ original The Mandalorian were also supposed to get the full Dolby treatment.

As the dust begins to settle on the first week of Disney+ operations, however, one thing is becoming clear: Your ability to hear the soundtracks of your favorite content in Dolby Atmos could be hampered by your choice of streaming device.

Digital Trends has discovered significant discrepancies in how Disney+ content is handled by three major platforms: Apple TV, Roku, and Android TV. Here’s what we’ve found.

The Disney+ app on Apple TV 4K presents all Dolby Vision content in glorious HDR. That goes for all of the Star Wars flicks and The Mandalorian. But only the Star Wars movies are streaming in Dolby Atmos. When we tried to watch The Mandalorian, the best sound quality we could get was Dolby 5.1.

Using a new Nvidia Shield TV 2019 — which includes onboard Dolby Atmos decoding, unlike the previous Shield TV 2017 which could only pass through Atmos — Dolby Vision once again worked flawlessly, but we couldn’t get Dolby Atmos to work on any content on the Android TV device.

The Roku Streaming Stick+ was the most capable of the three devices. It easily played both the Star Wars movies and The Mandalorian in Dolby Atmos. Sadly, because the Streaming Stick+ does not support Dolby Vision, we could only watch this content in HDR10, which still looks amazing when compared to SDR (standard dynamic range).

This represents a very real dilemma for audio enthusiasts who signed up for Disney+ hoping for the very best in home theater surround sound. Dolby 5.1 sounds pretty great, but if you have a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system at home, you deserve to hear what the format can do to bring episodes IV-VI of the Star Wars saga to life in a whole new way.

We’re a bit stumped as to why this is happening at all. The Disney+ support page on the topic suggests that if your device can handle Dolby Atmos, it should get Dolby Atmos:

Disney+ offers a growing library of content in 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos. Supported audio formats for a given title can be found in the DETAILS section under each title. Disney+ will automatically use the highest-quality audio your system can support.
We know that Netflix places severe limitations on which streaming devices get Dolby Atmos audio. Apple TV 4K has always been compatible, but the Nvidia Shield TV 2017 couldn’t get it and neither can any Roku devices. This makes our Roku experience on Disney+ all the more perplexing — Disney+ is clearly not placing Netflix’s restrictions on Dolby Atmos based on a device’s ability to natively decode Atmos.

Responding to our request for a comment on this situation, a source at Disney+ did not corroborate our experiences but did tell us that the service is working with its device partners to enable Dolby Atmos playback and will be bringing Dolby Atmos to additional devices soon.

Meanwhile, you can do a trial run of different streaming services, specifically for testing Atmos channels, like Netflix, Vudo or Amazon Prime. You can also try streaming the Atmos supported movies in the Disney+ service, like Marvel movies and Star Wars.

Last edited:
A

AMG16

Audiophyte
Yea I was reading that article as well. I did my test on the Mandalorian it says Atmos supported. Now it may be giving me Disney Atmos, but my receiver comes up saying Atmos as a surround option with a Blu-ray.

I can check a Atmos show on Netflix and see if it works. So Netflix offers true Dolby Atmos?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea I was reading that article as well. I did my test on the Mandalorian it says Atmos supported. Now it may be giving me Disney Atmos, but my receiver comes up saying Atmos as a surround option with a Blu-ray.

I can check a Atmos show on Netflix and see if it works. So Netflix offers true Dolby Atmos?
No, the bandwidth would be too much, they use DD+ with Atmos metadata like the other streaming services....

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
Yessir so that would be why I don’t get the Atmos option on my receiver. Blu-ray only lol

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Im currently running 7.2.1 with front ceiling Atmos speakers.
I'm trying to understand your set up, 7.2.1 respectively. It's seven (7) floor channels which are three (3) front speakers left, right and center front speakers, two(2) surround channels left and right surround speakers, and two (2) back channels left and right back speakers, whereas you have two (2) subs and one (1) Atmos channel?

Is this a typo error and it is really 7.2.2?

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
Sorry 7.1.2 and I have a pioneer SC-LX801. Front L/R, Center, surround L/R, rear L/R, 2 front Atmos ceiling speakers and sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
More reasons why I’m not interested in streaming. I do some, but if it’s important, or something I really want for demo use, it’s on a disk.

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
I ran Netflix and Disney+ On my smart TV apps and the Dolby Vision comes up, but till don’t have any option on the receiver saying DD+ just the regular Dolby digital Dolby surround. Just want to make sure Best Buy connect everything correctly and I’m getting the full benefits of this receiver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ran Netflix and Disney+ On my smart TV apps and the Dolby Vision comes up, but till don’t have any option on the receiver saying DD+ just the regular Dolby digital Dolby surround. Just want to make sure Best Buy connect everything correctly and I’m getting the full benefits of this receiver
How is your tv connected to your avr?

A

AMG16

Audiophyte
HDMI in the arc port. When I go to a 4K channel on direct TV my receiver switch’s to the DD+ option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI in the arc port. When I go to a 4K channel on direct TV my receiver switch’s to the DD+ option.
Older avrs sometimes didn't have the DD+ decoding, or if you were using an optical cable then it wouldn't come thru; HDMI ARC is capable as long as the tv is...could be a limitation of what the tv can send out. At least I assume your D* is a separate settop box and not coming out of your tv....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis