Replacing old Towers ideas

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you can wait a couple of days, I will get a comparison of the JBL 580 versus the TCM TFE 100 speakers.
Will do my best to communicate the differences I hear.

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
OK , sounds close. I seem to remember reading here about another set of speakers from a small company someone recommended over Bic 89's I think. Can't find the particular post. But thanks again. I do need to do something , missing my tunes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have the MTX any more? I was going to ask just what would you like different from what they do?

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
I still have them the got crispy a little while back. They actually held up well considering I bought them back in the 90's. So anyway music sounds not so good anymore

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
Would love a good clean sounding Loud, speaker that works well with a balance of music. But mainly Heavy or Hard Rock

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any interest in DIY? Otherwise too bad the JBL 590 sale is over, bet you'd like those....but the sale for $440 each is over, they're back up to $1k.

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
Well I may have to just pickup a set of DCM's and take a shot. Worse case may shop will get a new setup

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another speaker that may be more along the lines of your MTX might be the Cerwin Vega XLS-215....not sure what they go for....

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
Really wanting to step up my sound a bit. My speakers where good for my younger days. But I really like clarity and those subtle nuances you here from a better speaker.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well I may have to just pickup a set of DCM's and take a shot. Worse case may shop will get a new setup
You should easily hear the difference -- the DCM are on a much higher level. Those are cheapy drivers in the older MTX speakers you had

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You'd have to spend quite a bit more than $250 to do any better for tower speakers. And like I mentioned before, it leaves funds leftover for a decent sub too.

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
I was expecting to pay on the 4-500 per speaker. Range but if these sound as good as the price then we'll be fine. And if not not much harm done. And I'll have non krispy music again. Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nothing wrong with being a little crispy when listening to music though...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
OK , sounds close. I seem to remember reading here about another set of speakers from a small company someone recommended over Bic 89's I think. Can't find the particular post. But thanks again. I do need to do something , missing my tunes.
Yes it is close! However that is without considering the price!
If you are counting dollars (who isn't), the price makes it an easy call!
They are at the same level of Sound Quality as the 580's!

I was hoping some of the comments I made might help you with your decision!

Will you use a subwoofer?
What percentage of your use is Gaming vs HT vs Music?
What is your music preference?
What would you do with the $400 you would save from buying the TFE100's?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any interest in DIY? Otherwise too bad the JBL 590 sale is over, bet you'd like those....but the sale for $440 each is over, they're back up to $1k.
The sale on the 590's is over, but now, the 580's are on sale at $320/ea (60% off MSRP); or $640/pr vs $250/pr:

Honestly, for many rooms, the 590 can be a bit imposing (they are bigger than you would expect!) at:
49-3/4" X 12-11/16" X 16-1/4 HXWXD (590)
42-1/16" X 9-7/8" X 13-3/4" HXWXD (580)

Of course, some of us like imposing speakers! :D

I think there are lots of reasons to get the TFE100's, but if my comments on the 580 "speak to you", you do have a better option than paying MSRP!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For the difference in price I'd go with the TFEs. Going from Kurt's impressions they both have their edge in one area or another but as a whole are pretty equal in sound quality. I think the JBLs are easier on the eyes (with the grilles on) and worth the sale price for sure, but we're talking a difference of $400.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was expecting to pay on the 4-500 per speaker. Range but if these sound as good as the price then we'll be fine. And if not not much harm done. And I'll have non krispy music again. Lol
The TFE100 use to list for $799 a pair ... you are looking at clearance prices on them --- they will be an ear-awakening event compared to your former MTX ... however, JBL is also a good option ... but as stated, you will have extra money with the DCM purchase ... your call

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
I was looking at the tfe100 when I came across the 200's. I found 1 or available at some bulk audio store. Reached out waiting on reply..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was looking at the tfe100 when I came across the 200's. I found 1 or available at some bulk audio store. Reached out waiting on reply..
Make sure they are talking about a pair -- hope it works out

H

HeavyM

Enthusiast
Well 200's off the table. Dealer said it was a old ad. I just wanna Rock....thanks for the help all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis