What subwoofer do I need?

Enthusiast
bought a new Danon 8500 Receiver
Odyssey is tuning the system for large 40HZ / 60HZ speakers

Is there a subwoofer that can give me more -resolution to treble tones / higher tones / middle tones
more meat for the sound?

I hope I asked right, like REL Sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is actually Denon, not Audyssey, deciding to set the crossover for your speakers based on the measurements it takes, you can raise the crossover if you want (but don't lower it).

What sub do you have now? Rel wouldn't be a sub I'd buy, too much $ for too little performance.

Enthusiast
It is actually Denon, not Audyssey, deciding to set the crossover for your speakers based on the measurements it takes, you can raise the crossover if you want (but don't lower it).

What sub do you have now? Rel wouldn't be a sub I'd buy, too much $ for too little performance.
It is actually Denon, not Audyssey
Denon= Audyssey on DENON 8500
These two parts are made up of a receiver and both make the decision

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon= Audyssey on DENON 8500
These two parts are made up of a receiver and both make the decision
Yes, I know. I have two Audyssey enabled Denons as well as an Onkyo. As Audyssey has stated, if it was up to them alone they would simply with the use of a sub automatically set speakers to small/to use bass management and set a crossover of 80hz....

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
My Marantz receiver with Audessey XT32 was doing the same thing. I had to go into the manual menu to put my front speakers to small and 80Hz. It had set them to large full range and turn my surrounds to small and 80Hz. It set them to 60 hz. After that, I had a ton more bass output. When running Audessey I also set the master gain down on my minidisp so it wouldn't place the subs at -10. I like a little more bass in everything so that did the tric for me. When I was done, I put the master gain back to normal.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My Marantz receiver with Audessey XT32 was doing the same thing. I had to go into the manual menu to put my front speakers to small and 80Hz. It had set them to large full range and turn my surrounds to small and 80Hz. It set them to 60 hz. After that, I had a ton more bass output. When running Audessey I also set the master gain down on my minidisp so it wouldn't place the subs at -10. I like a little more bass in everything so that did the tric for me. When I was done, I put the master gain back to normal.
It's the manufacturer that sets the speakers, Audyessey does its thing afterwards. The only way to get .lfe is set to small or "double bass, lfe + main. If set to large nothing is going to be sent to the sub.

This has been an issue with people setting up subs as long as I can remember with AVRs w sub output, frustrating to have to keep repeating it so much. That and when people believe that the large or small is taken literally.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis