Sprout 100 & Polk Audio RTI-A7

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Consider instead, making certain you get the right tool for the job.
What is your goal?
What is your story, @Yohansen ?
Did you just get those speakers? Shopping for something new? Looking for good 2-channel... Surround... HT?
Unfortunately I bought these speakers because the Klipsch that I had, were too bright.
My goal is to achieve good nice sound, (not loud sound).
I like two channels sound. All I want is to have a nice combo that will express the sound at its best in an affordable price. I have a 4TB hard drive full of flac songs. Actually, a discography of bands that I love.Also, I have a living room around 15 by 15 feet.
I am not into surround and home theater.
Stupid me, I sold my Rotel preamp and power amp along with my Oppo blue ray and Magnepan 1.7i speakers...anyway...I regretted it of course.
I would like to say that you all guys rock!
I want to believe that here at the forum I will find the solution and the right equipment with your help.
I don’t know if I missed something, my way of expressing is messed up a bit trying to express what I mean....and I think this is because I’m Greek. LOL My name is Yannis or John in English.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello all,

I currently own the Polk Audio RTI-A7 speakers and I’m expecting a delivery of the Sprout 100.
I would appreciate your opinion regarding this combo.

Thanks in advance
I would personally also avoid PS Audio......but especially avoid the Sprout! What a hipster device that thing is.

Looks like the Sprout100 is an update on the original.

But, EVERYONE needs to understand that the original Sprout DOES NOT have a ruler flat frequency response like we expect for modern SS gear! Looks to be intentional design decision.

Sidebar 3: Measurements

However, note the 7.5dB peak centered on 67Hz in this graph. It appears that the Sprout's speaker outputs offer some compensation for the rolled-off low frequencies typical of small, inexpensive speakers, then quickly roll off the low bass to avoid overload.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I would personally also avoid PS Audio......but especially avoid the Sprout! What a hipster device that thing is.

Looks like the Sprout100 is an update on the original.

But, EVERYONE needs to understand that the original Sprout DOES NOT have a ruler flat frequency response like we expect for modern SS gear! Looks to be intentional design decision.

Sidebar 3: Measurements

However, note the 7.5dB peak centered on 67Hz in this graph. It appears that the Sprout's speaker outputs offer some compensation for the rolled-off low frequencies typical of small, inexpensive speakers, then quickly roll off the low bass to avoid overload.

Very interesting. Also notes the low voltage gain.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I mean the specs of the speaker. For example, my RTI-A7 can hold from 30 to 300 watts. I’m sorry for the confusion.
If it doesn't work out, return the Sprout 100 and try a pair of real separates such as:

Even the 125 W/225W 8/4 ohms Halo amp will provide the current the RTI-A7 needs unless you listen really loud and sit way back, so if they don't sound good you can eliminate that potential excuse by their fans.

With the D70, you can skip the preamp. Its specs/measurements would be far superior than the PS Audio's on paper and on the test bench, though you probably need golden ears to tell the audible difference.

Edit: Just realize the huge price gap between the A23 and the Sprout 100, so I added the Monolith alternative to narrow the gap a little.

Last edited:
Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
If it doesn't work out, return the Sprout 100 and try a pair of real separates such as:

Even the 125 W/225W 8/4 ohms Halo amp will provide the current the RTI-A7 needs unless you listen really loud and sit way back, so if they don't sound good you can eliminate that potential excuse by their fans.

With the D70, you can skip the preamp. Its specs/measurements would be far superior than the PS Audio's on paper and on the test bench, though you probably need golden ears to tell the audible difference.

Edit: Just realize the huge price gap between the A23 and the Sprout 100, so I added the Monolith alternative to narrow the gap a little.
Thank you Peng for the links. I checked them out and I’ll try the sprout in the meantime. If I don’t like it and doesn’t work out then I might get the ones you suggest me....kind of pricey though!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately I bought these speakers because the Klipsch that I had, were too bright.
My goal is to achieve good nice sound, (not loud sound).
I like two channels sound. All I want is to have a nice combo that will express the sound at its best in an affordable price. I have a 4TB hard drive full of flac songs. Actually, a discography of bands that I love.Also, I have a living room around 15 by 15 feet.
I am not into surround and home theater.
Stupid me, I sold my Rotel preamp and power amp along with my Oppo blue ray and Magnepan 1.7i speakers...anyway...I regretted it of course.
I would like to say that you all guys rock!
I want to believe that here at the forum I will find the solution and the right equipment with your help.
I don’t know if I missed something, my way of expressing is messed up a bit trying to express what I mean....and I think this is because I’m Greek. LOL My name is Yannis or John in English.
Are you still in Greece?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Peng for the links. I checked them out and I’ll try the sprout in the meantime. If I don’t like it and doesn’t work out then I might get the ones you suggest me....kind of pricey though!
Yes, but it is about do it right the first time. The Sprout would be fine if you sit close enough and don't listen at anywhere near ref level. Ref level is 85 dB average, C weighting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean the specs of the speaker. For example, my RTI-A7 can hold from 30 to 300 watts. I’m sorry for the confusion.
That is what I was referring to as a speaker wattage spec, it's generally meaningless except at the upper end it may tell you where you might destroy your speaker. Your speaker doesn't "hold" wattage....it uses it as needed per the volume level you're asking of the system. Sensitivity is a far better guide for telling you how well your speaker uses that power and what spl it will yield.

Your speakers likely most of the time will use only a few watts or even less than a watt depending on how loud you're listening and depending how far away from the speakers you are. Thus, the minimum of 20 is not very helpful in terms of what the speaker "holds", is it? These are fairly sensitive speakers at 89dB (even tho it does not give the exact specification for this, we'll assume with an 8 ohm rating it is 1 watt (2.83V at 8 ohm) at 1 meter distance). The 300 watts may be only for peak power, which would yield more like 150 watts continuous power the way many speakers are rated. Even with 150wpc you only lose 3dB over 300wpc as it takes a doubling of power to gain 3 dB spl.

Using an spl calculator like this with the speakers' sensitivity and the distance you are from the speakers at the levels you're trying to achieve might be more interesting to see what kind of power requirements you actually need.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Don’t get me wrong but I’m thinking of Polk Audio T-50 speakers. The reviews are great and I heard them at a friend of mine. They don’t produce too much base but enough to enjoy. I have a small room.

I think I’m gonna get rid of the Polk Audio RTI-A7 and get those puppies. They are 150w per channel and the sprout 100 is 100wats per chann at 4 ohms.
What do you think lovinthehd?
Thank you in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don’t get me wrong but I’m thinking of Polk Audio T-50 speakers. The reviews are great and I heard them at a friend of mine. They don’t produce too much base but enough to enjoy. I have a small room.

I think I’m gonna get rid of the Polk Audio RTI-A7 and get those puppies. They are 150w per channel and the sprout 100 is 100wats per chann at 4 ohms.
What do you think lovinthehd?
Thank you in advance
I think you're not getting how little importance the wattage rating of the speakers is :) Besides, the RTI-A7 are rated at 8 ohms so more like 50+ wpc (as reality is they're going to vary likely from 5 to 8 ohms at a guess without seeing the actual impedance graph for the whole frequency range). I'd chose speakers by what sounds good to you, and if you like the T-50s better go for it. The T-50 is rated 90dB sensitivity and from 6-8 ohms for impedance by Polk, so not much difference changing speakers in the electrical sense. Did you already buy the sprout amp?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Since hes in the US i think he can just return it before 30 days if he doesnt like it. How it will do with the speakers i have no idea, its a lot weaker than other PS audio amps and does look like its made less for hifi and more for fun with smaller speakers or those who just want a very small size. More a lifestyle product.

Will be fun to see what the OP thinks of it when he tries.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I think you're not getting how little importance the wattage rating of the speakers is :) Besides, the RTI-A7 are rated at 8 ohms so more like 50+ wpc (as reality is they're going to vary likely from 5 to 8 ohms at a guess without seeing the actual impedance graph for the whole frequency range). I'd chose speakers by what sounds good to you, and if you like the T-50s better go for it. The T-50 is rated 90dB sensitivity and from 6-8 ohms for impedance by Polk, so not much difference changing speakers in the electrical sense. Did you already buy the sprout amp?
Yes, I already ordered the Sprout. From what you noticed I will keep the RTIA7 since there is no big difference

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I already ordered the Sprout. From what you noticed I will keep the RTIA7 since there is no big difference
Since it's already on the way, that sounds like a good plan. It may well work just fine for your purposes...altho a relatively expensive way to go for what it is....

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Since it's already on the way, that sounds like a good plan. It may well work just fine for your purposes...altho a relatively expensive way to go for what it is....
I just ordered the ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speaker to pair them with the Sprout 100.
These speakers are rated at 4 ohm and will give me 100w per channel. Polk audio were very good but something was missing from the midrange frequencies and kind of little bright.
Very excited.
I would appreciate your input
Thank you in advance

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I havent heard those but will be fun to hear what you think. Hopefully you will like them better but they may be more of a lateral move. Remember that the sprout isnt very powerful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered the ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speaker to pair them with the Sprout 100.
These speakers are rated at 4 ohm and will give me 100w per channel. Polk audio were very good but something was missing from the midrange frequencies and kind of little bright.
Very excited.
I would appreciate your input
Thank you in advance
What do you mean the speakers will give you 100 watts?

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I havent heard those but will be fun to hear what you think. Hopefully you will like them better but they may be more of a lateral move. Remember that the sprout isnt very powerful.
Thank you Leemix. I will post my impressions once received. The sprout gives 100 watts per channel if the speakers are 4 ohms. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speaker will use whatever power you require for a given spl, at 100 watts you're just at the maximum the amp can provide at a given distortion spec.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The speaker will use whatever power you require for a given spl, at 100 watts you're just at the maximum the amp can provide at a given distortion spec.
...and below what the speaker is rated for (possibly conservatively), and moreover you will be below reference level spl at you LP and have little to no headroom for increased dynamic content.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis