DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
I'm out at that price, my old school infinities will do just fine. I would however like to figure out how to buy out a line of speakers much like the seller did. Seems like a great way to make some money on the side.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm out at that price, my old school infinities will do just fine. I would however like to figure out how to buy out a line of speakers much like the seller did. Seems like a great way to make some money on the side.
Don't spend that money yet. I'm hoping they will go back on sale for Xmas. Fingers crossed. Didn't listen to music last night, but used them for my dvr shows and boy are these are not to be missed even at $109 a pair and a steal of the year.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't listen to music last night, but used them for my dvr shows and boy are these are not to be missed even at $109 a pair and a steal of the year.
And they are worth even more than the current prices.

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Don't spend that money yet. I'm hoping they will go back on sale for Xmas. Fingers crossed. Didn't listen to music last night, but used them for my dvr shows and boy are these are not to be missed even at $109 a pair and a steal of the year.
Yeah I'm holding my powder, but not holding my breath that they go back on sale. Thats just how my luck goes.
On a side note I find it kinda wild that the most talked about speaker right now "on this site" is one that is over 10 years old....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder how low the price was on The TP center? Was $80. It's 89 now. It would be great if lowered to $70 shipped. Anyone here got the center yet? I'm sure the SQ is very good. The 160's went up to $109. Just like you said Z.
I have the center, but I just hooked it up for a few mins to be sure it works. I currently don't have a location to install it, but I may work on that this weekend.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"My name is slipperybidness, and I'm an audioholic!"

They are a clear step up from the P363 that I replaced with the TP260.

Clarity is a good word, I absolutely find dialogue is easier to understand on these vs. the P363 and that was one of my big goals to replace these.

OK, OK, I know a good deal when I hear one! I have been keeping my eyes open for good speakers that I could live with for a long time, but also at a very good price (dare I say, "cheap"). Before these came along, the new RBH impression series was high on my list. But, even at the normal RBH sale price, I would have been able to cover only 1 room, while I am all set now on the DCM! The only other speakers really in my sights were the JBL studio line.

And, once KEW clued me into going directly to their website and using a black friday code, the savings were even better! And, that cherry finish is nice and matches my living room perfectly so it was an easy sell for the WAF.

This is my haul:

4x TP160
2x TP160C
2x TP260
2x TFE60
1x TFE60C
2x TFE630LCR (in ceiling)

We're talking about ALL of this for the neighborhood of $940! Delivered to my door 2 days after I placed each order!

I did have some damage on one of the towers from Fedex, but it was on the back corner, the speaker sounds fine, and rather than mess with insurance claims he refunded me $25 and called it even.

I really couldn't be happier, and you can't beat that price/performance and delivery time.

By the way, in a PM it was indicated to me that a little toning down on the tweets would likely make the TP160 match my Alexis Audio / Philharmonitors very well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I'm holding my powder, but not holding my breath that they go back on sale. Thats just how my luck goes.
On a side note I find it kinda wild that the most talked about speaker right now "on this site" is one that is over 10 years old....
Yup, one good clue is the "magnetic shielding". That was needed back in the day when CRT was the TV technology, but shielding really isn't much of a consideration for 2019 due to newer TV tech.

Here is the thing.....

And, I bet that @zieglj01 would agree.

All this buzz about the TP160......I think the real gem here may be the TFE60!

Granted, the TFE60 is a LARGE bookshelf that is kind of awkwardly deep (DCM actually calls it a mini-tower), it isn't as purdy as the TP line cherry finish, and it is more expensive. And, granted I have spent more time listening to the TP line.

BUT......the little time that I have spent with the TFE60 has kind of indicated that these may be something special. At the very least, the little time that I have spent on them tells me that I need to spend more time on them!

Just my impressions, but the TP line seems more like the consumer/home grade product, while the TFE line feels and sounds more like the professional theater and/or professional mixing studio line.

My L/C/R TFE purchase was an impulse buy, the seller had made a special offer since I had it on my ebay watch list. I don't even really know where/how I will find a permanent home for them, but I get the feeling I'm gonna make them work somewhere/somehow. It would be a shame to put such nice speakers on garage duty.....but that may be where they go.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Clarity is a good word, I absolutely find dialogue is easier to understand on these vs. the P363 and that was one of my big goals to replace these.

OK, OK, I know a good deal when I hear one! I have been keeping my eyes open for good speakers that I could live with for a long time, but also at a very good price (dare I say, "cheap"). Before these came along, the new RBH impression series was high on my list. But, even at the normal RBH sale price, I would have been able to cover only 1 room, while I am all set now on the DCM! The only other speakers really in my sights were the JBL studio line.

And, once KEW clued me into going directly to their website and using a black friday code, the savings were even better! And, that cherry finish is nice and matches my living room perfectly so it was an easy sell for the WAF.

This is my haul:

4x TP160
2x TP160C
2x TP260
2x TFE60
1x TFE60C

We're talking about ALL of this for the neighborhood of $940! Delivered to my door 2 days after I placed each order!

I did have some damage on one of the towers from Fedex, but it was on the back corner, the speaker sounds fine, and rather than mess with insurance claims he refunded me $25 and called it even.

I really couldn't be happier, and you can't beat that price/performance and delivery time.

By the way, in a PM it was indicated to me that a little toning down on the tweets would likely make the TP160 match my Alexis Audio / Philharmonitors very well.
SCORE!

That's a pile of good speakers for under a thousand bucks! I'd love to have all your new toys! Lol

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
SCORE!

That's a pile of good speakers for under a thousand bucks! I'd love to have all your new toys! Lol
Well....I didn't even mention the Denon AVR-3500H (also a killer deal) needed for these speakers.

I should be all set for quite a while.

Once I recover from these purchases, maybe looking at some bang for buck subs

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
And, I bet that @zieglj01 would agree.

All this buzz about the TP160......I think the real gem here may be the TFE60!

Granted, the TFE60 is a LARGE bookshelf that is kind of awkwardly deep (DCM actually calls it a mini-tower), it isn't as purdy as the TP line cherry finish, and it is more expensive. And, granted I have spent more time listening to the TP line.

BUT......the little time that I have spent with the TFE60 has kind of indicated that these may be something special.
The TFE60 is unique and sort of special -- they play above their original $500 list price -- they are transparent and their soundstage is really good -- I continue to like them more and more each day.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, some people already think we may be crazy -- it does not take much to tone down the slight highs. KEW pretty much nailed it with his slight EQ

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The TFE60 is unique and sort of special -- they play above their original $500 list price -- they are transparent and their soundstage is really good -- I continue to like them more and more each day.
Have you heard any of the other speakers in the TFE line?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just my impressions, but the TP line seems more like the consumer/home grade product, while the TFE line feels and sounds more like the professional theater and/or professional mixing studio line.
Having never heard the TFEs (Time Frame Evolved) that's my impression also. Their Time Frame series has always been their flagship speakers, tho I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir now, lol. You're making me really want to hear them tho!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Have you heard any of the other speakers in the TFE line?
Not yet, but the TFE series is voiced the same across the TFE line ... but the word is that the TFE towers have some generous bass ... but that can be toned downed some.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not yet, but the TFE series is voiced the same across the TFE line ... but the word is that the TFE towers have some generous bass ... but that can be toned downed some.
The TP260 has some pretty good, clean bass.

Just going by my subjective opinions, but they do not dig as deep as the P363, nor with as much authority.

But, they also seem to be a tighter bass that don't lose their composure as quickly as the P363.

Still not as good as my GE T2 in either department :cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I read that about the TFE200, was thinking that the TFE100 might be better in that regard; however, it really is a moot point as I would ultimately expect to cross these to a sub at around 80Hz.
Tower or not, you can only expect so much out of a 6.5" driver!
I suspect DCM opted for a bit of extra "weight of bass" (in the range they can produce it) in order to compensate for the "depth of bass" that is physically impossible with smaller drivers (without any crazy special porting configuration).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I read that about the TFE200, was thinking that the TFE100 might be better in that regard; however, it really is a moot point as I would ultimately expect to cross these to a sub at around 80Hz.
I suspect DCM opted for a bit of extra "weight of bass" (in the range they can produce it) in order to compensate for the "depth of bass" that is physically impossible with smaller drivers (without any crazy special porting configuration).
Yes, crossing to a sub would be beneficial ... DCM does like some bass and seems to have a good driver, I would not be surprised if it hits 40 hz

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

This is my haul:

4x TP160
2x TP160C
2x TP260
2x TFE60
1x TFE60C

Dang what a great haul. I have been curious about the TFE, but look too large and bulky looking. I can't wait till you post some pics. I've been enjoying the TP so much. Decent soundstage on some recordings. The highs seemed to have tamed with every play.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The TP260 has some pretty good, clean bass.

Just going by my subjective opinions, but they do not dig as deep as the P363, nor with as much authority.

But, they also seem to be a tighter bass that don't lose their composure as quickly as the P363.

Still not as good as my GE T2 in either department :cool:
The DCM has good composure (they built their drivers), even the bookshelves with just the Kevlar woofers hold together and the bass is tight and articulate

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
Every single time I read your post, I hear the voice of H Jon Benjamin in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis