Problem with AVR/FireStick/Monitor???

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

I just bought a new 4k HDR 27" monitor to watch movies in the near field configuration. And once I replaced my old Hitachi TV with this new monitor I got 'No signal'. Exactly the same cable into hdmi input on Toshiba results in FireStick 4k output. What is the difference?

My configuration FieStick 4k -> (AV3 input) Yamaha a1070 (Output 1) -> (hdmi input) Monitor (or TV)

To make things more complicated. I also use this configuration - Oppo 103d (Output 2) -> (AV1 input) Yamaha a1070 (Output 1) -> (hdmi input) Monitor (or TV). In this case I have video signal on both monitor and TV.

All connections are done via hdmi cables. Tried to connect this new monitor - Acer H277HK to my PC and it also works fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What high speed hdmi cable are you using? Are you turning the tv on first?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
What high speed hdmi cable are you using? Are you turning the tv on first?
To be honest I am not sure exactly what cable. But it thick, 5m, not very cheap. Forgot to say that my TV only supports 1080p, The monitor is 4k. Do you think that that cable is not up to task? Which cable do I need for 4k signal?

I think I turned the monitor after everything else. But will play more with the sequence.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a thought, your cable may be sufficient, but perhaps not....could just be a handshake issue. https://hdmi.org/resource/cables

Generally you want to turn the display on first, then turn on other devices back thru the chain to the source....

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
You are right. Cable is the problem. Found some other short hdmi cable and it works fine!!!
I will buy some better cable, probably 2.1.

Do you know if there is a way to get 4k in more than 60hz? I know FireStick only supports 60hz. But any way tv or monitor can increase that frequency? What if TV/Monitor supports 100/144hz? Will I still get 60hz due to FireStick limitation?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are right. Cable is the problem. Found some other short hdmi cable and it works fine!!!
I will buy some better cable, probably 2.1.

Do you know if there is a way to get 4k in more than 60hz? I know FireStick only supports 60hz. But any way tv or monitor can increase that frequency? What if TV/Monitor supports 100/144hz? Will I still get 60hz due to FireStick limitation?
Cables don't come in the hardware version designation like 2.1....why I linked you directly to the source. Marketing will be what it will be, tho.

Haven't dived into the whole 4k thing yet....altho was good to know about your 4k stick audio vs mine on Disney....

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Cables don't come in the hardware version designation like 2.1....why I linked you directly to the source. Marketing will be what it will be, tho.

Haven't dived into the whole 4k thing yet....altho was good to know about your 4k stick audio vs mine on Disney....
Yeah, i got it with the cable names. Never thought there are so many types of them))) Thank you for your help! Was thinking to return the monitor. Now as it works I am going to keep it. The image it shows is great!

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Just to to give you an update. My old hdmi cable for some reason started showing green dots all over the screen. This initially was happening only for the Firestick config, not the Oppo config shows the green dots too. I bought another 10m allegedly high speed cable which has the same issue. Then I bought optical hdmi cable and it did not work either until i realised that it was one way cable and I connected source end to the monitor. Switched the ends and now it works!!! Just not sure if issue is fully in the cable or hardware also played the role.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just to to give you an update. My old hdmi cable for some reason started showing green dots all over the screen. This initially was happening only for the Firestick config, not the Oppo config shows the green dots too. I bought another 10m allegedly high speed cable which has the same issue. Then I bought optical hdmi cable and it did not work either until i realised that it was one way cable and I connected source end to the monitor. Switched the ends and now it works!!! Just not sure if issue is fully in the cable or hardware also played the role.
Just out of curiosity. Have you changed your settings on the firestick 4k since getting the new monitor ? If not you need to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
10m is very long for an hdmi cable that isn't active....is your optical cable active or passive?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
10m is very long for an hdmi cable that isn't active....is your optical cable active or passive?
The one that works is one way. Which I guess means it has transmitter and receiver. All that did not work are just normal passive cables.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
What setting should I change?
Sorry for the late response. But if you haven't done it yet. You need to go in and change your firestick 4k display settings and then reboot the stick.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Sorry for the late response. But if you haven't done it yet. You need to go in and change your firestick 4k display settings and then reboot the stick.
Sorry, you have not answered my question. What should I change?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I think he mentioned the resolution setting a ways back....
Ok. I probably missed that. My bad. Anyway it looks like active optical hdmi cable works fine. My only concern is that you should be really careful with it. There are some hybrid optical cables but these are even more expensive. I bought my 10m cable for about 50£.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I mentioned the display setting because, I did not know if your other set was a 1080p or not. If so you need to change the setting for 4k, and now that you have an HDR capable tv, you need to turn on the HDR on the 4k stick. Sorry if I did not make that clear earlier.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I mentioned the display setting because, I did not know if your other set was a 1080p or not. If so you need to change the setting for 4k, and now that you have an HDR capable tv, you need to turn on the HDR on the 4k stick. Sorry if I did not make that clear earlier.
That is fine)) Unfortunately i had to try 3 different hdmi cables despite the correct display settings. Have to return 3 cables back to amazon)))

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis