Defiance x15 vs VTF-15H MK2

O

orp0408

Audiophyte
As the title states, i am trying to decide between this 2 subs. Room is 5400 cubic feet. Sr7013, focal aria 906 front stage and micca mb42x surrounds. Carpet over concrete floor. X15 is from a local dealer and is only $50 more than the HSU once everything is all said and done(im in Canada, so exchange and taxes). I know the Hsu is better down low, but leaning towards x15(with a plan of getting a second one in a year). Thanks for any input

O

orp0408

Audiophyte
Sorry forgot to add 60% HT, 40% music (both digital and analog)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also consider the VTF-3 mk5 for a bit lower price than the VTF15h....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you checked out the AH reviews on the Paradigm and Hsu?

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/vtf-15h & https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/hsu-vtf-15h-supplemental
That review is for the VTF15h mk1. The VTF15h mk2 is majorly improved over the mk1.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both are terrific subs. The difference is, as you have guessed, the Hsu does dig a bit deeper, but it doesn't have all the app technology of the X15. I am sure you would be happy with either.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
True, but something to go on.....any plans to do a review of the updated one?
Paul didn't seem very happy to be doing a re-review of that one, lol.

I was wondering the same about an updated review. Or one of the VTF-3 MK5. I think I remember a preview..?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As the title states, i am trying to decide between this 2 subs. Room is 5400 cubic feet. Sr7013, focal aria 906 front stage and micca mb42x surrounds. Carpet over concrete floor. X15 is from a local dealer and is only $50 more than the HSU once everything is all said and done(im in Canada, so exchange and taxes). I know the Hsu is better down low, but leaning towards x15(with a plan of getting a second one in a year). Thanks for any input
Man that's tough because they both are highly regarded subs. The HSU does dig deeper but how much more noticeable is it? The Defiance has just insane output from like 25 Hz on up unbelievable output from the review for a 15. And it digs all the way down to 20hz as well. Not sure how much output below that but so know it's solid all the way down to 20hz.

If they were out when I was designing my theater room I may have just gone with them over my dual PB 4000's I'm finding I like a sub that can dig to 20hz but I really like it when they can hit you with that midbass slam

Both picks are great so best of luck on your choice!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
True, but something to go on.....any plans to do a review of the updated one?
Paul didn't seem very happy to be doing a re-review of that one, lol.

I was wondering the same about an updated review. Or one of the VTF-3 MK5. I think I remember a preview..?
These subs have been out for some time now, so no plans to review them. It's a shame they never did get a in depth review from Audioholics, I don't think many people quite realize the performance of these things. It's pretty nuts considering the cost.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's a shame they never did get a in depth review from Audioholics, I don't think many people quite realize the performance of these things.
When I was shopping last year, that played a part. I trusted what most said about the Hsus, but with little else to go on...
Still, very happy with the X-13s. Would love to get to compare with Hsu someday! :)

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Let’s stop messing around and get serious gentleman!

Captivator 2400!
3E901B28-6799-4E53-B58A-6C3C4A7EFCCE.png

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
They don't call you home theater freak for nothing eh? ;)
“Lovinthehd” said I shouldn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger o_O

Well actually JTR speakers are his dream choice!

I just got sucked into that dream too. Imaging 128 db inside your HT now that’s freaky!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I just got sucked into that dream too. Imaging 128 db inside your HT now that’s freaky!
I'd actually like to think that's appropriate audioholic behavior! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

And for the record JTR speakers are my dream choice as well!

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
And for the record JTR speakers are my dream choice as well!
You know they aren’t really that expensive in my opinion. Especially considering they don’t actually need a sub!

The ones I was viewing last night on JTR website where 215RTs model :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis