Advice on acquiring new surrounds

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like the pricing and the fact that they're a good match for the front stage. You might be able to achieve some better mid bass with some more tweaking and possibly a higher crossover. Get your subs a little more involved with bass reproduction. Those 4000s should be able to play very competently crossed a little higher.

I forgot if you were using a mini and rew to help dial things in?
No mini will need one when I go to 3 I'll bet REW I'm not very good at yet need to change that the midbass mudroom suckouts need no REW or DSP to catch it's painfully obvious sit in the seats while playing a bass song or bass part of a movie and then step back to the back of the room by the door it's like night and day

Obviously I have a null in that spot no crossover or even eq is going to fix that and since the 4000's are too big to rearrange to the back of the room

Hence the need for at least 1 more PC 4000 I plan on getting 2 eventually

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Studio 530 are strong to below 60 hz and still have some usable bass after that -- they can punch
Ok badass I think you guys have talked me into it I'll let you know how it goes when I order all studio 5's for the room it will look super super sexy!!!!! Ohhhhhh booooyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No mini will need one when I go to 3 I'll bet REW I'm not very good at yet need to change that the midbass mudroom suckouts need no REW or DSP to catch it's painfully obvious sit in the seats while playing a bass song or bass part of a movie and then step back to the back of the room by the door it's like night and day

Obviously I have a null in that spot no crossover or even eq is going to fix that and since the 4000's are too big to rearrange to the back of the room

Hence the need for at least 1 more PC 4000 I plan on getting 2 eventually
Make sure when you want to get serious with REW that you start a thread. I have some experience with it and will be happy to help out.

You might be surprised. I have a nasty suckout in my room too and managed to eq it out with a mini and a higher crossover. In fact my suckout sounds a lot like yours. Like you allude to, eq can't always fix stuff like that, but it can help.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Lovin what do you have your 530's crossed over at?
Right now 200hz (as suggested by the avr) but the room is a bit weird back there, and have the speakers in somewhat a compromised place (but sounds just fine). Have been thinking of changing the mounting to AM40s oriented normally, instead of horizontal on the top of some cabinets in the back of the room as they are currently, and move to the sides of those cabinets instead. I also have just built/painted a riser for my center and painted the ones I made for the surrounds....and just bought some more baltic birch panels to finally finish off my sub collection with the drivers I have sitting around....so it's subject to change soon.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Make sure when you want to get serious with REW that you start a thread. I have some experience with it and will be happy to help out.

You might be surprised. I have a nasty suckout in my room too and managed to eq it out with a mini and a higher crossover. In fact my suckout sounds a lot like yours. Like you allude to, eq can't always fix stuff like that, but it can help.
Here's a before and after. The before is after running Audyssey, I think. After is with the mini.

Audyssey 9-19-19 sweeps-1.jpg

REW filters EQ 1 9-20-19.jpg

*Edit: That suckout is way worse with no DSP whatsoever. Can't find a chart to show it tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those 3 charts are actually a great representation of my journey from where I started to where I am now since I joined here at Audioholics. Amazing what you can accomplish when you're given and follow good advice!

You can see that while Audyssey didn't nail it, it still did a pretty good job considering what it had to work with but I still had some issues. Using rew I was able to dial it in even better. I'm not using aggressive PEQ either. Audyssey got it close enough that I didn't have to.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or a few nasty peaks. :D
That too. Those are easy to deal with tho.

*Edit: I see what you're getting at! Once I dial down the peaks, the suckouts aren't so bad... perspective. I needed it, lol.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay guys I ordered 4 of the studio 530's the whole total came to with free shipping $600 that's insane for that price.

I ain't going to lie I'm super stoked!!! If these have the same imaging and soundstage properties the 590's do I can't wait to hear how they are going to sound!!!!!

Thanks for all your help guys I really really appreciate it!

Do any of you have recommendations for wall mounts for these?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will for sure get with you when I'm ready to start REW
I'm going to buy the 3rd sub first put it in the back then after that I'll start that thread and you can walk me through REW.
I want to eliminate most of the issues by either sub placement on acquiring enough subs in the right spots then going with eq I always try to minimize eq as much as I can
But I know I'll need to do some so when it's time I'll hit you up bro

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis