Advice on acquiring new surrounds

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Most of you guys have given me a lot of help on building my theater room
Im getting ready to go shopping on new surrounds

I need to get rid of these bipole surrounds this installer installed not my choice long story there lol some of you are aware of
I've narrowed down my choices to 3 options

1) PSA the MT-110SR
Pro's I love the mounting capabilities of these either flat on wall or they are vesa compatible so I can angle them any way I like

They have a compression driver like my beloved JBL studio 590's

Very sensitive I think 94db very dynamic a sealed design so wall placement is easier handle a lot of power so they can keep up with my 590's later I can ceiling mount them they are built with an angle like the SVS prime elevations which I think would make them beasts for atmos speakers down the road when I buy 4 more 590's for my 7 base layer
They are made to be crossed over with subs

Cons directional due to the horn can be compensated somewhat due to the ability to angle them with wall mounting flexibility

Option 2 HSU HB-1 or HC-1 horn loaded bookshelf or LCR speaker
Pros sensitivity at 92 an perfect match for the 590's handle a lottof power can keep up with 590's way way less expensive then the PSA
Great reviews

Cons directional going to be more challenging to wall mount ported so need some space off the walls

Option 3 HSU CCB-8

Pros superb off axis response I can place them between the rows and get probably the best proper coverage for both rows

sensitivity okay I think in full space 88db but they handle a lot of power meant to be crossed over with a sub great great imaging important for an atmos or dts based system which mine is

Can sound and image just as well up close or far way toying with the idea of mounting on ceiling when repurposed as well. Think with off axis imaging they could be repurposed as bad ass ceiling speakers

Cons challenging wall mount ported so space is needed not sure if these can work was surrounds? Need advice on that one although more expensive then the horn HSU still less expensive then the PSA

Both companies do exceptional customer service so tie there

Great warranties by both tie there

I think PSA has better trial period and offers free shipping so edge there

Room is 18 wide by 26 deep with a slant on the left wall to the door 9 ft high ceilings
Up front running 3 JBL studio 590's with 2 SVS PB 4000's

Pictures to give you idea of placement to help with speaker decisions
20191118_135610.jpg
20191118_135551.jpg

All ideas and opinions and alternate speaker options are greatly appreciated thanks guys!!!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want a match, why not get the JBL Studio 530s while they are on sale right now? Nothing else is going to match your 590s as good as the 530s.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want a match, why not get the JBL Studio 530s while they are on sale right now? Nothing else is going to match your 590s as good as the 530s.
Agreed! Strike while the iron is hot!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Except more 590’s!!!!!!!!
Mwahahahahahaha.....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Option 2 HSU HB-1 or HC-1 horn loaded bookshelf or LCR speaker
Pros sensitivity at 92 an perfect match for the 590's handle a lottof power can keep up with 590's way way less expensive then the PSA
Great reviews

Cons directional going to be more challenging to wall mount ported so need some space off the walls
Not 92 db ... that measurement is half space

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They are only 86db sensitive will they be able to keep up with the 590's in that room? I'm also till I get a third sub needing some help with some decent 80hz punch from the surrounds can the 530's give me that punch and dynamics I'm looking for with an 80hz crossover. I like good dynamics at lower volumes you know me Shady LOL

If they can I'll pull the trigger

Also will there narrower dispersion be an issue on surrounds? In that room layout?

If not I'll pull the trigger

If I pull the trigger what wall mounts would you recommend for these bad boys?

Thanks guys the response is overwhelmingly for the 530's I'm surprised they must be worth all the hype then

Thanks for your help boys if I can get those questions answered I'll be pulling the trigger!

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
If I pull the trigger what wall mounts would you recommend for these bad boys?
I'm also seeking the answer to this question. Additionally, if mounted close to the wall should I/he/we use the port inserts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 530s may be of lower sensitivity so just takes a bit more amp....I use my 530s as rear surrounds (580s for surrounds). A mount like the Pinpoint AM40 perhaps....or is that now an AM41B?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm also seeking the answer to this question. Additionally, if mounted close to the wall should I/he/we use the port inserts?
Thank you very much on that that is a question I hope to have answered as well my friend I need some 80hz punch in that room so maybe a wall boost would be preferable?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys the response is overwhelmingly for the 530's I'm surprised they must be worth all the hype then
Well, they are the best match for your front stage outside of getting a couple more 590s. Plus they're half price right now...

As far as mid bass punch you don't get that from your surround speakers so much as your center, mains and subs. Kinda sounds to me like you might wanna play around with your crossover setting. I went higher with mine and I'm getting what I felt was missing before. Seems a shame to run my towers with 120 hz crossover, but it does sound better.

Narrower dispersion? I think you have enough speakers in that room that dispersion shouldn't be a concern, but I'm not a pro either, someone else will have to comment. Not sure where your concerns are with them keeping up with the 590s either. Level matching makes that a non issue doesn't it? How loud are you listening and how often will your surrounds be playing?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They'd br
The 530s may be of lower sensitivity so just takes a bit more amp....I use my 530s as rear surrounds (580s for surrounds). A mount like the Pinpoint AM40 perhaps....or is that now an AM41B?
They'd be powered by my anthem amps so no lack of power for them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, they are the best match for your front stage outside of getting a couple more 590s. Plus they're half price right now...

As far as mid bass punch you don't get that from your surround speakers so much as your center, mains and subs. Kinda sounds to me like you might wanna play around with your crossover setting. I went higher with mine and I'm getting what I felt was missing before. Seems a shame to run my towers with 120 hz crossover, but it does sound better.

Narrower dispersion? I think you have enough speakers in that room that dispersion shouldn't be a concern, but I'm not a pro either, someone else will have to comment. Not sure where your concerns are with them keeping up with the 590s either. Level matching makes that a non issue doesn't it? How loud are you listening and how often will your surrounds be playing?
Good point with 11 speakers in the room and they are 6 ft from the seating edge I don't think dispersion will be am issue

I'm having some midbass suckouts in the middle of that room and the PB 4000's are to big to put in back or near field

I plan on buying 1 more PC 4000 to adress this issue placing it in the back by the seating

Until then even with that I don't like listening at high volumes so I like speakers that can give me good punch at lower volumes difficult to find with your standard bookshelf

I like all my speakers to be highly capable down to at least 80hz my in ceilings are way way overkill for this reason as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Hah hah they'll be playing ALOT!!!! Like I said the issue isn't loudness with them turned up but more great sound like the 59p's can do when turned down a little I want badass sound without risking my hearing LOL

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I tried the 120hz crossover it helps but there's a fullness that's missing especially with male voices in some cases

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hah hah they'll be playing ALOT!!!! Like I said the issue isn't loudness with them turned up but more great sound like the 59p's can do when turned down a little I want badass sound without risking my hearing LOL
I like the pricing and the fact that they're a good match for the front stage. You might be able to achieve some better mid bass with some more tweaking and possibly a higher crossover. Get your subs a little more involved with bass reproduction. Those 4000s should be able to play very competently crossed a little higher.

I forgot if you were using a mini and rew to help dial things in?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Lovin what do you have your 530's crossed over at?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you very much on that that is a question I hope to have answered as well my friend I need some 80hz punch in that room so maybe a wall boost would be preferable?
The Studio 530 are strong to below 60 hz and still have some usable bass after that -- they can punch

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis