$48 Roku Ultra Black Friday Deal Started

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Try unplugging it for about 10 seconds. I think if you let it reboot on your schedule maybe it won't do it randomly while you're watching something! I haven't had much problem with mine until recently. Not sure what changed!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just another reason why I hated Roku. The Amazon 4k firestick is much better, and on sale for $25, never had an issue with the firestick, Best of all never any buffering.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have one of these and it's a great little streamer. As with past Rokus mine tends to spontaneously freeze and reboot once or twice a week but nothing else that I'm aware of has this much content.

I have the ROKU Ultra+ unit. I'm not using it very often but so far I have been satisfied. It was bought mainly for streaming opera recordings from the Met. They have a huge archive of audio and video recordings spanning over several decades. Their subscribing fees are reasonable at CA$20 a month and you can cancel subscription any time.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I mainly stream from the latest ShieldTV but I bought the new Roku Ultra just so I could stream Amazon Music HD. No Roku I've ever owned (5 or 6) has been super stable but they do have the most content and are stable enough for my needs. As for Fire TV, I hate the interface enough that I'd give up streaming movies if the Fire TV were my only choice. Been there and threw it away.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I mainly stream from the latest ShieldTV but I bought the new Roku Ultra just so I could stream Amazon Music HD. No Roku I've ever owned (5 or 6) has been super stable but they do have the most content and are stable enough for my needs. As for Fire TV, I hate the interface enough that I'd give up streaming movies if the Fire TV were my only choice. Been there and threw it away.
What’s the “device capability” on the Roku for Amazon Music HD?

The Firestick 4K is 16/48.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I can't find an official bitrate quote from Amazon but Amazon providing a Amazon Music HD app for the Roku (replacing their plain Amazon Music) so it is at least CD quality. It's one of the platforms that Amazon bragged would support Music HD.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
As for Fire TV, I hate the interface enough that I'd give up streaming movies if the Fire TV were my only choice. Been there and threw it away.
Between an old Roku stick that was given to me and I think a gen 2 Fire TV box, I'm not so in love or disappointed in either that I actually need the latest and greatest HD doo-dad. I almost bought the Ultra but I realized in the nick of time that the movie content of both services was lame and there was no way in hell that I was gonna give 'em another 20 bucks for tunes. But I almost bought it.

I'd be interested in hearing what you didn't like about the interface though.

I got weak: I ordered it even though I didn't need it. I needed some cable pants anyway.

Thanks ... :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd be interested in hearing what you didn't like about the interface though.

I got weak: I ordered it even though I didn't need it. I needed some cable pants anyway.

Thanks ... :D
It's been a few years but I found the Fire TV's interface 'too busy' and too 'sell Amazon products-centric'. With a Roku or a Shield I can reorder apps to suit my viewing habits. I mainly watch YouTube TV and YouTube so they show up first, followed by Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Music HD. I still have to deal with Amazon's interface when I'm in Prime Video but I don't go there unless I know what I want to watch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I've gotten used to my FireSticks (non 4k) busy interface and moving their in house apps into the queue unwanted....it's been cheap and fairly reliable (I have more internet access issues than stick issues, tho). For the $30 each I paid, they're fine.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
While I've gotten used to my FireSticks (non 4k) busy interface and moving their in house apps into the queue unwanted....it's been cheap and fairly reliable (I have more internet access issues than stick issues, tho). For the $30 each I paid, they're fine.
Fortunately I have plenty fast Internet (500:500Mb/s) but unfortunately my home has poor power which sometimes briefly dips down to 108 volts. It's why I use line conditioners.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fortunately I have plenty fast Internet (500:500Mb/s) but unfortunately my home has poor power which sometimes briefly dips down to 108 volts. It's why I use line conditioners.
The dips in voltage caused issues with the Fire device?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The dips in voltage caused issues with the Fire device?
I never had problems with my Fire TV but I only used it for a few months before switching back to a Roku. Low voltage may be the culprit behind my Roku reboots but I'd think that the wall wart (transformer) would deal with that while stepping voltage and converting it to DC. I'm not an electrical engineer so I could well be wrong.

It's more expensive toys like computers, TVs, Bluray players and high-end consumer routers that I plug into line conditioners, or battery backups that go into fits of beeping whenever the voltage drops too low.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never had problems with my Fire TV but I only used it for a few months before switching back to a Roku. Low voltage may be the culprit behind my Roku reboots but I'd think that the wall wart (transformer) would deal with that while stepping voltage and converting it to DC. I'm not an electrical engineer so I could well be wrong.

It's more expensive toys like computers, TVs, Bluray players and high-end consumer routers that I plug into line conditioners, or battery backups that go into fits of beeping whenever the voltage drops too low.
I've never used a line conditioner on anything. I'm 63. Maybe just always had good electricity :)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
The user interface on the firestick 4k is great, way better than the Roku in my opinion. I have 3 and never had an issue with any of them. The Roku we did have ( gave it away ) was nothing but problems. But if Roku floats your boat and your willing to deal with it's quirks, by all means stick with it.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've never used a line conditioner on anything. I'm 63. Maybe just always had good electricity :)
Lucky you. :)

Decades ago while living in an apartment I lost a high-end TV, a computer, and a VCR to a single power surge. Then maybe five years later and working as a tech my employer had computers in one building fail at a ridiculous rate due to what we later tracked down and found out to be a power (grounding) issue in that building. Power issues do happen it's just that most people never experience worse than the occasional outage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The user interface on the firestick 4k is great, way better than the Roku in my opinion. I have 3 and never had an issue with any of them. The Roku we did have ( gave it away ) was nothing but problems. But if Roku floats your boat and your willing to deal with it's quirks, by all means stick with it.
Really? I wonder if its different from my older Fire Sticks?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lucky you. :)

Decades ago while living in an apartment I lost a high-end TV, a computer, and a VCR to a single power surge. Then maybe five years later and working as a tech my employer had computers in one building fail at a ridiculous rate due to what we later tracked down and found out to be a power (grounding) issue in that building. Power issues do happen it's just that most people never experience worse than the occasional outage.
Unlucky you instead? I do remember my grandfather going around the house when I was a kid unplugging everything if a bad lightning storm was due....that's as close as I've gotten to taking any special precautions over the years....but only lived in an apartment briefly....couldn't stand it.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Really? I wonder if its different from my older Fire Sticks?
Well I don't know how old your is, or what gen. But I can say my sisters regular firestick is not like our 4k firestick's or like 4k firemodule cube thingy (LOL). Her's is deff different interface and way slower, I would say she has had it a couple of years or so. ( but wouldn't swear to it ). With the new firestick 4k, the new youtube app is spectacular.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I don't know how old your is, or what gen. But I can say my sisters regular firestick is not like our 4k firestick's or like 4k firemodule cube thingy (LOL). Her's is deff different interface and way slower, I would say she has had it a couple of years or so. ( but wouldn't swear to it ). With the new firestick 4k, the new youtube app is spectacular.
They're Alexa enabled, I want to say v.2, bought a year and a half ago I think just at the 4k rollout? I do remember before Amazon had the proper youtube app, tho (they had another app that sucked). My main complaint is the busy menu/layout....it's weird.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis