New tv - old receiver

B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Hello,
I just purchased a Samsung QLED TV. I have an existing surround sound (klipsch front, center, rear and sub) hooked up through a sony da4es receiver.

The problem is I can't hook up regular/cable tv up through the da4es but when I use the "smart tv" aka online that isn't and can't be hooked up.

The obvious is the sony da4es does not have a hdmi port.

I purchased a new Yamaha receiver which compared to the sony sounds like crap for the hdmi port but doesn't seem like its compatible with the tv because when I switch inputs I lose the tv sound and literally need to unplug the hdmi cable from behind the tv.

Any solutions to keeping my sony da4es receiver and being able to hook my surround sound up to TV and smart TV?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless eq was applied differently, I'm confused how one sounded different from the other. Given you are using Klipsch speakers I'm sure you weren't clipping them. Which Yamaha?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you run room correction with the Yamaha? There shouldn't be a huge difference from one receiver to the next sound wise unless one was eq'd and the other wasn't, or eq'd differently.

B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Unless eq was applied differently, I'm confused how one sounded different from the other. Given you are using Klipsch speakers I'm sure you weren't clipping them. Which Yamaha?
Rx-v485

Last edited:
B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Did you run room correction with the Yamaha? There shouldn't be a huge difference from one receiver to the next sound wise unless one was eq'd and the other wasn't, or eq'd differently.
I've been told (dont know how true it is) that new receivers don't match up to old ones. ESPN in regards to the internal amp which you can tell even by the weight of the unit.

B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Have to look up room correction. Dont know what it is

B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Ok....just looked it up. Will give ypao a try. I hope it helps.
Do you think it will?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have to look up room correction. Dont know what it is

Yamaha's version is called YPAO. It's a program that uses an included mic and measures the acoustics in your room then makes eq adjustments to best suit the room.

As far as the amp sections it's true that older models may have been more robust but the modern units still deliver on power when you get into mid and upper tier models and sound just as good as long as they're operated within spec. Sound quality upgrades come with better speakers and subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok....just looked it up. Will give ypao a try. I hope it helps.
Do you think it will?

Yup. I'm not familiar with YPAO as its been a while since I've had a Yamaha, but I'm pretty sure it's similar enough to Audyssey for the setup. Take as many measurements as it allows and make sure you're careful with mic placement and follow instructions as to the order, position and ear height of each measurement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been told (dont know how true it is) that new receivers don't match up to old ones. ESPN in regards to the internal amp which you can tell even by the weight of the unit.

I see such comments frequently in various audio groups/fora. Not my experience, I don't miss my older receivers in several ways....and the amp section is the least of my concerns in that regard. The newer, lower end units may have lesser power supplies and amp sections, and the power supply has probably more to do with the weight than the amp section particularly; you get what you pay for to an extent. I think a lot of comments come from guys who remember paying $400 in the 70s/80s and compare to an avr of the same price point....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If it has a Class-D switching type power supply, it will have the power without the weight

B

Bk124tt

Enthusiast
Still dont know why I can listen to tv through surround sound then switch inputs to watch smart tv through dvd player but when I switch back to tv I have no surround sound (sound)
When I unplug the hdmi cable from behind the tv (and plug back in) I get the sound back.

If I unplug the hdmi cable from behind the receiver that does not get the sound back

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you get rid of the annoying Tapatalk ad I might be interested in further discussion.... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis