Thinking of picking up an svs pb12 on black Friday sale.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
How tall is ceiling?

Is the room closed or open to other rooms? If open to other rooms/hallways you need to add that in also.

Basically you calculate cubic feet of volume the sub must pressurize.
Oh man then add quite a bit more. Open to foyer, hallway and kitchen doorway. Dude. I cant even calculate 8ft ceilings. The angles are not even. I will try to walk you through. You walk into foyer about 8 ft long wall on left. In that walk on the right is a dining room. You walk into the living room from there, the doorway to dr is open. You are in the bottom left of the rectangle. Immediately to the right is sitting area, left is a long hallway to br's. On the far right is the doorway to the kitchen. So 26 feet long and 15 deep with foyer, kitchen doorway and dining room open to the box.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh man then add quite a bit more. Open to foyer, hallway and kitchen doorway. Dude. I cant even calculate 8ft ceilings. The angles are not even. I will try to walk you through. You walk into foyer about 8 ft long wall on left. In that walk on the right is a dining room. You walk into the living room from there, the doorway to dr is open. You are in the bottom left of the rectangle. Immediately to the right is sitting area, left is a long hallway to br's. On the far right is the doorway to the kitchen. So 26 feet long and 15 deep with foyer, kitchen doorway and dining room open to the box.
Best guesstimate of total volume?

5000 cu ft? Bigger?

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Are there baseline figures for cubic space and suggested sub size and power? I'm still a newbie. I see all power and frequency stuff listed in specs for speakers but not that. If there were a certain decibel and frequency rating for volume I'm ignorant.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are there baseline figures for cubic space and suggested sub size and power? I'm still a newbie. I see all power and frequency stuff listed in specs for speakers but not that. If there were a certain decibel and frequency rating for volume I'm ignorant.
The sub sees the whole room. Trying to pressurize that size isnt easy but you can have subs close to the MLP to make up for not pressuring the whole area.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Back to the original question. I was thinking of picking up an svs pb12 ported sub on black Friday. If you were me, would you pull the trigger or think and talk about it more.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Has anyone seen, so I married an axe murderer? "Did they mention the wife?"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's this article on room size and sub rating https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

Sub measurements are available from some, some you have to do your homework with third party testing for the most part (like here or at data-bass.com).

As to your original question for $500 you might not beat it, but can you add to it later (it being an old model and apparently on its last run)?

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
There's this article on room size and sub rating https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

Sub measurements are available from some, some you have to do your homework with third party testing for the most part (like here or at data-bass.com).

As to your original question for $500 you might not beat it, but can you add to it later (it being an old model and apparently on its last run)?
Oh do you mean buying a twin brother later? You mean I'm not done buying once I add this...."smirks," I wont be totally fulfilled and happy with what I have? I guess this isn't about audio equipment is it? This is really about finding that feeling I had when I was kid and I listened to my best friend's dad's audio. One speaker is too many and a million isnt enough.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh do you mean buying a twin brother later? You mean I'm not done buying once I add this...."smirks," I wont be totally fulfilled and happy with what I have? I guess this isn't about audio equipment is it? This is really about finding that feeling I had when I was kid and I listened to my best friend's dad's audio. One speaker is too many and a million isnt enough.
Just depends on how much you want :) Let's just say I prefer more than not enough. YMMV.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think dual VTF2 is the ideal but you probably can work with a single one and get by.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like you're dealing with a similar volume I am. I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5s and they do it with a little to spare. I don't think I'd want any less than a pair of 12s tho. You might wanna keep your options open to adding a second down the road. Like HD said, it depends on your expectations too.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Update, I changed the location of the r112sw and polk psw10. Found the sweet spot. Took the B&W out. Now have the 2 rp160m on stands facing viewers. Total sound explosion with 2 less speakers and less power consumed. 700 swing. Now I can allocate that to a true need. Older homes break. Happy for this hour.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
SVS makes very good subwoofers, but if you are looking for other options, the Monolith by Monoprice 10" THX or Monolith by Monoprice M10-S 10" THX, both are similarly priced. The differences are one is a ported designed and the other is sealed. Other option is Rythmik L12 sealed subwoofer, price 549. However, due to the size of your room, I would recommend dual subwoofers. Investing in two less expensive suboofers, or you can always add another subwoofer later for better coverage. Hope this helps!
Up until a few weeks ago, I had been quite content with my pair of SVS SB-2000 subwoofers - used 99% of the time for music, 1% for movies. I went on a little journey - purchased a pair of SVS PB-3000 subs. Way, way overkill in my 2 bedroom condominium. Ended up eating $360 on return/restocking fees at my local audio shop. I then found a 10" ported Monolith for $325.00 locally and sprung for it. Then, found a 2nd Monolith 10" Ported "Open Box" on the Monoprice site. I ended up purchasing the 2 Monolith subs for less than I sold my pair of SB-2000 subs for. To my ears, the pair of 10" subs puts out astounding bass, and while ported, I've found that it doesn't interfere with music, but sounds just beautiful. Additionally, if I want, I can plug the ports and lose a few Hz of extension. Best decision I ever made. The SVS SB-2000 subs weighed just 34 pounds, each. The Monolith is well built, well braced and weighs in at 72.5 Lbs., each.

Attachments

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Up until a few weeks ago, I had been quite content with my pair of SVS SB-2000 subwoofers - used 99% of the time for music, 1% for movies. I went on a little journey - purchased a pair of SVS PB-3000 subs. Way, way overkill in my 2 bedroom condominium. Ended up eating $360 on return/restocking fees at my local audio shop. I then found a 10" ported Monolith for $325.00 locally and sprung for it. Then, found a 2nd Monolith 10" Ported "Open Box" on the Monoprice site. I ended up purchasing the 2 Monolith subs for less than I sold my pair of SB-2000 subs for. To my ears, the pair of 10" subs puts out astounding bass, and while ported, I've found that it doesn't interfere with music, but sounds just beautiful. Additionally, if I want, I can plug the ports and lose a few Hz of extension. Best decision I ever made. The SVS SB-2000 subs weighed just 34 pounds, each. The Monolith is well built, well braced and weighs in at 72.5 Lbs., each.
Beautiful, glad you like them and enjoy them and I'm pleasantly surprised with the prices as well. I was really hoping you found something you would enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, why not go thru SVS to avoid the restocking thing or was that more than 45 days in use or ? Or not in US?

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
Curious, why not go thru SVS to avoid the restocking thing or was that more than 45 days in use or ? Or not in US?
No, I'm in the U.S. The up-front deal was priced better from my local retailer and, somehow, I seemed very confident they were going to be the subs for me. After the fact, I realized that going directly with SVS would have permitted for the trial of the subwoofers, free return shipping and no restocking fees. I tried to support my local retailer first - with SVS being a benefactor too. Though, the local retailer doesn't have as much of the "nice" gear as they once had on display. They seem to be keeping the lights on through local home theater installations and selling a bunch of Klipsch speakers over the Web.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis