CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So I recently turned in all the paperwork to get pre-approved for a home loan. As a first time homebuyer I'm most interested in two thing: #1 - getting a fairly newly built house that's not gonna be problem ridden or perhaps new construction. #2 - Finding a house with a rectangular"ish" living room for the home theater set up. I think it's kind of funny that I'll be putting a very big emphasis on finding a house that will suit my HT/ 2 channel needs. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My humble suggestion to focus on a house: is choosing the location first. You could build a new house addition, change walls, etc, but you can't move the house.
a) Choose the area which is both easy and quick to get to work
b) if you have assigned schools (even if you don't have/planning to have kids) - choose an area with better schools.
a + b = will significantly impact the value and future growth of your largest investment you've ever made so far.
This site provides decent info on area of your interest:

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Definitely do not equate newer with better or higher quality. Use buildingscience.com to get educated on some basics like foundation, insulation, moisture control etc. Use that knowledge to help you make a sound decision. Good luck!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if you have dealt with WAF, but one thing I did manage in my current home is my own den which also has its own half bath and access or the garage where my 2nd fridge resides just a few steps away, aka my “speaker room.” :)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
There is nothing wrong with considering a house based on your hobbies and interests. It would be a guy who likes to restore old cars looking at a house without a garage.

Location is important as BSA stated. Is the area trending up? Stagnant? Or trending down? Big investment.

Man, there is so much to consider...As already stated, new doesn't mean quality. My house was new when it was built in 1996. The shitty Pella Proline windows were replaced once on discount and I swapped a bunch out for new fiberglass windows this summer. So new doesn't mean quality. New means you can put off some maintenance for several years. Or you can fight with the builder over things that are not correct.

Things I like to watch out for are windows. Good windows that are low maintenance. I also pay attention to the landscaping and how it is sloped to handle water. So many problems occur because water run off is not done well. Paint is an easy fix. Moving walls if you don't have skills can get pricey.

Good luck! It's an adventure but I prefer home ownership over apartments. Less noise. More peace.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
a) Choose the area which is both easy and quick to get to work
I'm with you on A 100%. That's actually the reason for getting the house in the first place. Right now I'm commuting 40 minuets each way to get to work and back. I currently live in the city and commute to the suburbs so after looking at the cost of living out there I realized buying a home there would be a lot more beneficial that renting. Never thought about B though, good to consider. Right now I'm dating and still not married so WAF is not an issue right now but could be in the future.

So many problems occur because water run off is not done well.
I'll kept an eye out for this, thanks! That's one of the big problems here in LA, water, water, and more water.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm with you on A 100%. That's actually the reason for getting the house in the first place. Right now I'm commuting 40 minuets each way to get to work and back. I currently live in the city and commute to the suburbs so after looking at the cost of living out there I realized buying a home there would be a lot more beneficial that renting. Never thought about B though, good to consider. Right now I'm dating and still not married so WAF is not an issue right now but could be in the future
I am repeating myself, but it's worth it, I think: Your local school ratings would significantly affect your future home value regardless if you planning to use them or not.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I am repeating myself, but it's worth it, I think: Your local school ratings would significantly affect your future home value regardless if you planning to use them or not.
Copy that. Thankfully, where I'm going has an "A" school rating according to niche.com

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Copy that. Thankfully, where I'm going has an "A" school rating according to niche.com
Zillow is another source for school ratings. Don't put too much trust into Zestimate numbers. Ideally, you should find an honest realtor who could assist you with house hunting (I know it's a tall ask) - it's free service for a buyer.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm with you on A 100%. That's actually the reason for getting the house in the first place. Right now I'm commuting 40 minuets each way to get to work and back. I currently live in the city and commute to the suburbs so after looking at the cost of living out there I realized buying a home there would be a lot more beneficial that renting. Never thought about B though, good to consider. Right now I'm dating and still not married so WAF is not an issue right now but could be in the future.

I'll kept an eye out for this, thanks! That's one of the big problems here in LA, water, water, and more water.
Close proximity to stuff you like to do is another thing to consider. Sucks wanting to get a drink at a decent bar and having to drive half an hour to get there.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Oohh... LA area. I'd also look at mudslide and wildfire risk as well as how many ways you have to get the hell out of Dodge should you need to. Oh wait...just saw the Fleur... I'm guessing Louisiana not LA. Yeah, I'd REALLY pay attention to water then. Get hit with a good tropical storm that dumps 20" of rain in 2 days and you will really want to pay attention to water. Or buy a lot and park a houseboat on it just in case.

Heck, up in Wisconsin, water is an issue with Lake Michigan hitting record high levels. So much rain this year that many wetlands are flooded and many crops still haven't been harvested if they managed to get planted at all. People that never had to worry about water levels are now paying attention as the lakes creep closer and closer to their lake cottage.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oohh... LA area. I'd also look at mudslide and wildfire risk as well as how many ways you have to get the hell out of Dodge should you need to. Oh wait...just saw the Fleur... I'm guessing Louisiana not LA. Yeah, I'd REALLY pay attention to water then. Get hit with a good tropical storm that dumps 20" of rain in 2 days and you will really want to pay attention to water. Or buy a lot and park a houseboat on it just in case.

Heck, up in Wisconsin, water is an issue with Lake Michigan hitting record high levels. So much rain this year that many wetlands are flooded and many crops still haven't been harvested if they managed to get planted at all. People that never had to worry about water levels are now paying attention as the lakes creep closer and closer to their lake cottage.
Another huge part of the water equation is in how much of the ground is covered by materials that don't let the water through, so it has to go somewhere else while draining. Johnson Controls HQ has pavers in their whole parking lot that let water pass through and the low area under the bridge to their South on Green Bay Ave doesn't flood, as it had for decades. In a city like LA, it's even more important but all rainwater heads toward Lake Michigan unless you're on the other side of the divide in Waukesha County.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I'd REALLY pay attention to water then.
Ohh ya, you’re so right about that. I know the risk of water all too well. One storm and the streets can go under very quick. Ex- the floods in Houston and Baton Rouge last year. I plan on getting a house in a flood zone X area + I have a requirement that the house must be a couple feet off the ground.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So got all my ducks in order and waiting till mid to late February to be moved in to the new house. See some the pics below of the new living room. This will be the new space that I have to work with for the HT. I would have liked to have gotten a place with a rectangular living room but unfortunately that was not possible to find in the price range and location that I was looking for. Going to have to get creative on speaker placement/ TV placement, specially if I try to squeeze an Atmos set up in the living room. Unfortunately the contractor refused to pre-wire anything, as he said it would break the template of the house which I was kind of bummed out about. Tbh, I think the contractor is just breaking even on this house. But I’m handy enough to do in wall wiring so not a huge deal.

Attachments

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall

and if the politicians in Sacramento get their way, property taxes will likely increase. Hope you have a steady, high pay job with a good firm. Good Luck.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
'Nuther thing, I worked on a new freeway project where 2-3 year old houses ended up right next to the freeway. This/was San Diego county less than 2 miles from the beach. All the homeowners got were 6' high one inch thick 'sound walls' at the edges of their back yards. They got to eat their lower prop values.
Point is, If its a new/newer house, find out what city/county/state planners have planned near houses/neighborhoods, if sound is not an issue, traffic could be, , , ,

-c-

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis