John520

John520

Enthusiast
I currently have a 5.1 setup with an RBH I-12e subwoofer. This subwoofer has since been discontinued. I was looking to buy a second subwoofer and think I have settled on HSU's VTF-3 MK5 HP. I know the right answer is to buy two. Unfortunately, my spouse doesn't share my same enthusiasm for home theater (she's coming around ;). I ordered a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic and have been familiarizing myself with REW. Can I make these subs blend together and into my system? Is it worth the time and effort? I am running RBH's new impression series towers for my L/R, RBH's full range impression line center channel and RBH's bookshelves in the rear. I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 AV receiver which has two discrete subwoofer outputs. I listed the subwoofer specs below. Happy to provide any other information I may have left out, thanks!

Current subwoofer specs:
Model Name:I-12/eSeries:Impression (Compatible with all RBH Sound Speakers)System Type:powered SubwooferAmplifier Type:Class DDrive Units:(1) 12" (305mm) Aluminum Cone SubwooferVoltage:110 and 220Amplifier Power:500 Watts RMSFrequency Response:20 Hz -200 Hz ±3dBLow-pass Crossover:40Hz-150Hz (continuously variable)

VTF-3 MK5 HP:
Amplifier Power (RMS)​
2000 W Short Term, 600 W Continuous (Each)​
Hybrid Tuning​
18 Hz Ported, 22 Hz Ported or Sealed​

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have a 5.1 setup with an RBH I-12e subwoofer. This subwoofer has since been discontinued. I was looking to buy a second subwoofer and think I have settled on HSU's VTF-3 MK5 HP. I know the right answer is to buy two. Unfortunately, my spouse doesn't share my same enthusiasm for home theater (she's coming around ;). I ordered a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic and have been familiarizing myself with REW. Can I make these subs blend together and into my system? Is it worth the time and effort? I am running RBH's new impression series towers for my L/R, RBH's full range impression line center channel and RBH's bookshelves in the rear. I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 AV receiver which has two discrete subwoofer outputs. I listed the subwoofer specs below. Happy to provide any other information I may have left out, thanks!

Current subwoofer specs:
Model Name:I-12/eSeries:Impression (Compatible with all RBH Sound Speakers)System Type:powered SubwooferAmplifier Type:Class DDrive Units:(1) 12" (305mm) Aluminum Cone SubwooferVoltage:110 and 220Amplifier Power:500 Watts RMSFrequency Response:20 Hz -200 Hz ±3dBLow-pass Crossover:40Hz-150Hz (continuously variable)

VTF-3 MK5 HP:
Amplifier Power (RMS)​
2000 W Short Term, 600 W Continuous (Each)​
Hybrid Tuning​
18 Hz Ported, 22 Hz Ported or Sealed​
Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ can do it. If you use REW you should be able to do it too but will likely take a long time and you would need additional hardware, something like a minidsp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It should be fine as long as you keep the subs around the same tuning point. Both subs have variable tuning, so adjust them so that they are as close in tuning frequency as you can get.

John520

John520

Enthusiast
Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ can do it. If you use REW you should be able to do it too but will likely take a long time and you would need additional hardware, something like a minidsp.
How do I use Audyssey with a Yamaha receiver?

John520

John520

Enthusiast
It should be fine as long as you keep the subs around the same tuning point. Both subs have variable tuning, so adjust them so that they are as close in tuning frequency as you can get.
I have established I need to level match the subs. I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the tuning. Is this something you can quickly explain? I would be happy to read an article as well, thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have established I need to level match the subs. I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the tuning. Is this something you can quickly explain? I would be happy to read an article as well, thanks!
Both of those subs can be tuned to extend down to different frequencies by plugging a port. You will want their bass extension to match as close as possible to mix them as well as you can. It looks to me like the best mix would be to have both ports open on the Hsu sub and pne port plugged on the RBH sub. Make sure the Hsu sub's 'operating mode' switch is set to EQ2. for that.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What sucks is onkyo 818 does not have it .
Sometimes normal xt 32 struggles to equalize subwoofer . Since no sub eq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John520

John520

Enthusiast
Both of those subs can be tuned to extend down to different frequencies by plugging a port. You will want their bass extension to match as close as possible to mix them as well as you can. It looks to me like the best mix would be to have both ports open on the Hsu sub and pne port plugged on the RBH sub. Make sure the Hsu sub's 'operating mode' switch is set to EQ2. for that.
You're the man, thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do I use Audyssey with a Yamaha receiver?
You don't, as Yamaha has their own YPAO, and believe the YPAO version in your avr will indeed handle two subs for different level/delay.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe I’m missing something, but not sure why you can’t use just two VTF3 and sell the RBH or move it to another room.

John520

John520

Enthusiast
After tax and shipping the HSU sub costs just under $900. I could only afford one for now due to my budget. I have listed the RBH sub for sale, no hits yet. I do plan on buying a matching HSU sub. I was hoping to use the RBH and HSU together while I save/wait for the RBH to sell.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh well then definitely don’t spend $200 on a miniDSP HD if money is the reason for not having dual VTF3. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis