Older Oppo players not compatible with current equipment despite update

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
IIRC, so far neither Denon nor Marantz have a HDMI certication on their products. Would that explain the problem?
I din't think so, as it acts the same whether connected to the Marantz 7705 or directly to my new LG 77" OLED TV. Both these units are brand new, and I updated the firmware of both before putting them to use. My son who is a senior software engineer and more expert than me in this area, looked into the problem extensively. He is certain it is the OPPO BDP 85 that is rogue. I suspect Oppo knew they were incompetent and that is why they closed up shop. My legacy Marantz DV 9600 which is 14 years old works just fine. That has no issues at all. I strongly advise against making any purchases of used Oppo equipment on line or otherwise.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I din't think so, as it acts the same whether connected to the Marantz 7705 or directly to my new LG 77" OLED TV. Both these units are brand new, and I updated the firmware of both before putting them to use. My son who is a senior software engineer and more expert than me in this area, looked into the problem extensively. He is certain it is the OPPO BDP 85 that is rogue. I suspect Oppo knew they were incompetent and that is why they closed up shop. My legacy Marantz DV 9600 which is 14 years old works just fine. That has no issues at all. I strongly advise against making any purchases of used Oppo equipment on line or otherwise.
Looks like the player was 1.3x so if you're still using the included Oppo 1.3x HDMI cable, can you try a 1.4x or 2.0 HDMI cable?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The newer HDMI inputs on your Marantz pre-pro should be compatible with the HDMI 1.4 output from the OPPO BDP-83. If they are not, then your Marantz might be defective.
EDIT: HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with earlier formats, and that includes the 1.4.
I did some research and found the same. I suggest TLS check the HDMI from the OPPO is the audio one and the not the other which might be set to output video only.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I tried every version of HDMI cable there is and the result was the same.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did some research and found the same. I suggest TLS check the HDMI from the OPPO is the audio one and the not the other which might be set to output video only.
I used the correct HDMI output, I'm not that stupid. The issue is that this unit would not work with not only the Marantz, but would not work connected directly to the new LG OLED TV. So even if the Marantz is not included the result is the same. The Oppo has the latest software. The Oppo works fine with a variety of older equipment, including the monitor of my DAW. It does not work with the Marantz to TV or with the latest HDMI cable direct to the TV. The result is a biege/mauve picture and no audio at all.

My Oppo BD 83 is not compatible with my two new devices and it should be.

No matter what you guys say, the Oppo is rogue. And yes Lovonthehd, on this matter Oppo have been incompetent. Of that I am experienced enough to be able to determine. I have spent hours on this issue.

You can all make every suggestion you want, but this Oppo BD 83 is NOT compatible with newer equipment. Of that I'm 100% certain. So owners of these players be aware.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used the correct HDMI output, I'm not that stupid. The issue is that this unit would not work with not only the Marantz, but would not work connected directly to the new LG OLED TV. So even if the Marantz is not included the result is the same. The Oppo has the latest software. The Oppo works fine with a variety of older equipment, including the monitor of my DAW. It does not work with the Marantz to TV or with the latest HDMI cable direct to the TV. The result is a biege/mauve picture and no audio at all.

No matter what you guys say, the Oppo is rogue. And yes Lovonthehd, on this matter Oppo have been incompetent. Of that I am experienced enough to be able to determine. I have spent hours on this issue.

You can all make every suggestion you want, but this Oppo BD 83 is NOT compatible with newer equipment. Of that I'm 100% certain. So owners of these players be aware.

Hey, I know you're not stupid. I also know that I don't know much about anything, and I can prove it. In fact, after 2 years of experimentation with my OPPO-205 I still do not have a handle on Network playback possibilities and limitations, although I did discover that not getting gapless from Network connection had nothing to do with my hook-up, but rather the concept's inability to deliver gapless. At any rate, it seems your new equipment does not support your OPPO, apparently, a problem with HDMI being an evolving standard, which neither Marantz or OPPO has addressed for backward/forward compatibility. So, who's breaking the rules here? Do the rules have an expiration date?

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I asked around, the only suggestion was to bring your preamp's output to 1080i.

If that doesn't work, verify the other tv and preamp display settings are correct.

Has anyone heard of similar issues with the 83 series players? My oldest is a 93 series, and it took to my 2.0 HDMI Yamaha 3060 without issue.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I have an 83 but I haven't tested it with anything new.

highfigh

highfigh

I wanted to keep my 10 year old Oppo DP 83 in my new system to play SACD over HDMI. My new flagship Panasonic player does not support SACD.

The Oppo BDP 83 works perfectly with older 2K gear. However it will not work with my new Marantz pre pro or when connected directly to my new LG OLED TV. This all despite installing the latest firmware, and checking every conceivable setting. When connected to these devices it shows a misty beige screen. The Oppo logo appears, and it shows a disc playing and you can get a misty picture, but no audio. It will not even play a CD! It shows it playing but no audio is passed.

So I'm pretty sure this is why Oppo closed up shop. They just did not have what it takes to keep their software updated.

So to play SACD over HDMI I have a Sony universal disc player on order, that is on special.

So the Oppo has been demoted to the family room system!

So members might want to be aware, that Oppo players are actually not now properly supported.

I personally will not be missing Oppo.
Are you using HDMI to connect the OPPO to the Marantz? If so, is the Marantz set to Auto detect in HDMI?

F

Fonze

Audiophyte
I know this is an old thread. Just hooked up my old 83-SE to my new LG CX OLED. Had similar issues to OP but managed to finally get the old player working with the new TV.
I initially had display issues similar to OP. Changed HDMI settings in OPPO to RGB Video Level and disabled HDMI Deep Color and display came good.
Still had no sound like OP.
Tried different cables and re-checked all settting but would not work.
Finally I switched to HDMI 3 and sound over HDMI was working. Don't know why I couldn't get sound on HDMI 2 but on HDMI 3 all good.
I can understand how OP might think the old OPPO was incompatible but with a bit of fiddling was able to get around video and sound issues.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am using my 205 a lot more these days with 4K and Atmos. No issues so far and I am hoping it stays that way for a while. Have not had any issued with the 105 because it doesn't support 4K; it is mainly music only.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis