SVS Ultra - speaker foam sliced

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I bought a pair of SVS Ultra Bookshelves for 300 bucks a few months ago. One of the speakers was damaged. The guy had sliced one of the speaker while taking off some waveguide he had attached. There's some other scratches and dents, but it sounds fine. I ran it, because I wanted to see if the tear would get bigger. It got bigger, so I need to fix it. What should I use to fix it? Paper and rubber cement? Or will that eat the rubbery whatever it's made out of material?

Attachments

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I'm sure others will chime in, but I've always just applied a very thin layer of clear latex caulk on the back side of the surround below the tare.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Can’t you just call SVS and buy a new driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Yes, I contacted them at the same time I made this forum post. I like to get multiple opinions. They recommended super glue, but without a patch. And if that didn't work, to order a driver for 50 bucks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I contacted them at the same time I made this forum post. I like to get multiple opinions. They recommended super glue, but without a patch. And if that didn't work, to order a driver for 50 bucks.
Well, a pair of Ultras for $350 is still a hell of a deal!
$50 for the woofer seems like SVS is not taking advantage of their "official parts" status - nice that their customer service extends into replacement part pricing!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, a pair of Ultras for $350 is still a hell of a deal!
$50 for the woofer seems like SVS is not taking advantage of their "official parts" status - nice that their customer service extends into replacement part pricing!!!
I was just going to chime in with the same sentiment! Buy a new driver from SVS and fix it proper! You still got an amazing deal for the price you paid!

That said, I performed a similar repair here with some pics to show progress. For your Ultra tho, I'd hands down just order a replacement driver. You MIGHT (maybe) get lucky and they send it at a discount or even *cross fingers* free. I'd say more likely not, but I've had some very good experiences with them and they've taken care of me outside of warranty a couple of times. Once it was a plate amp from a sub I'd bought on ebay.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I was going through the process of getting a new woofer sent, and they realized I had bought a some subs and speakers from them earlier this year, so they're sending me a driver for free. Their reputation for taking care of their customers is well deserved. I'm pretty amazed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going through the process of getting a new woofer sent, and they realized I had bought a some subs and speakers from them earlier this year, so they're sending me a driver for free. Their reputation for taking care of their customers is well deserved. I'm pretty amazed.
Ha! Told ya you might get lucky! Very cool!

I just love SVS.

SPLaddict90

SPLaddict90

Audioholic Intern
surround repair has always been E6000 for me but this was only temporary fixes until I could do a proper recone, this was also done on subwoofer drivers with crazy xmax capabilities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis