Problem with Fire Stick 4K DD upmixing/passthrough

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi Guys.

Bought firestick yesterday. Noticed that for 5.1 content all works fine, sound is comming out of all speakers. Same as when I use Oppo's Netflix app. But for stereo content upmixing is not happening. In FS I have best available sound quality selected.

FS is plugged into Oppo's back hdmi. Oppo 103d into a1070.

The reason I bought FS is that internal Oppo's Netflix app is not stable and connection is dropping every 20 min. With FS all is fine. Internet is fine, all other devices have no problems with Netflix over the same home network. FS is using wired connection now just in case.

Any ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it the Oppo you're wanting to do the upmixing or the Yamaha? Does the same thing happen if you plug it into the Yamaha directly?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Is it the Oppo you're wanting to do the upmixing or the Yamaha? Does the same thing happen if you plug it into the Yamaha directly?
I would like ideally yamaha to do upmixing and FS and oppo just passthrough. This is because i hope to put minidsp between oppo and avr one day.

I need to put FS into yamaha to check what happens, but have not tried yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would like ideally yamaha to do upmixing and FS and oppo just passthrough. This is because i hope to put minidsp between oppo and avr one day.

I need to put FS into yamaha to check what happens, but have not tried yet.
What type of audio output is it from Oppo to Yamaha? What sound mode/upmixer are you using in the Yamaha?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Found this. Looks like might be a bug in firestick. Looks like if you select anything but 2ch in FS it creates a 5.1 wrapper with only 2ch active and this prevents Oppo/Receiver from doing a proper upmixing as the stream is already "5.1".

Anyone else using FireStick? Could you try playing something in 2ch and pass this to your player/receiver and see if the receiver can do upmixing?

Is there a way to get Netflix app on Yamaha receiver itself? Netflix was the only reason for me to buy FS. Though I like its variety of apps (including Tidal). Need to check how upmixing works for 2ch music. So far was checking 2ch movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well thats a different device, but maybe. I recently had a similar experience with a usb drive in my avr reading a multich flac rip. I have a fire stick and don't remember any issues with upmixing when I had it plugged in my 203 (didn't leave it there, so will test later).

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Well thats a different device, but maybe. I recently had a similar experience with a usb drive in my avr reading a multich flac rip. I have a fire stick and don't remember any issues with upmixing when I had it plugged in my 203 (didn't leave it there, so will test later).
Would be great to see how yours behaves. I guess if I set in FS 'Stereo' and pass this downstream then Yamaha will do upmixing. Will check that today. This should happen automatically though.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t have Oppo but if the firestick 4K is plugged directly into the Yamaha receiver (mine is RXA2060) it does 5.1 and displays Dolby Digital + for Mandorlorian on Disney + app. Also other titles like Empire Strikes Back.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
The problem I am facing is related to 2.0 content which is not upscaled to 5.1 probably due to the issue described in the link above. 5.1 content workes fine. I will try to plug FS into avr today but i just hoped that the current configuration would work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, mine is just a fire stick (not 4k). I have put it back in my 203 and I have no problem with a stereo feed to do any upmixing with my avr with a stereo feed (which, by the way, with the Disney trial I'm doing via Amazon, I do not get 5.1 audio, but will be cancelling such due lack of content I'm interested in, but thought I'd try it). My audio setting in the fire stick is DD output/DD+ Automatic. @snakeeyes did you do Disney thru Amazon or direct with Disney?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
First, mine is just a fire stick (not 4k). I have put it back in my 203 and I have no problem with a stereo feed to do any upmixing with my avr with a stereo feed (which, by the way, with the Disney trial I'm doing via Amazon, I do not get 5.1 audio, but will be cancelling such due lack of content I'm interested in, but thought I'd try it). My audio setting in the fire stick is DD output/DD+ Automatic. @snakeeyes did you do Disney thru Amazon or direct with Disney?
Thanks for checking. Can you try Netflix if you have it?;wondering if it might be app related.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for checking. Can you try Netflix if you have it?;wondering if it might be app related.
Yeah, Netflix is fine there too. Doesn't mean we have the same app with our different devices, tho.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Right. Can you try cold case files s1 e1? FS connected to Oppo? This is stereo movie. And in my case surrounds are silent. Any 5.1 movie are fine in my case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right. Can you try cold case files s1 e1? FS connected to Oppo? This is stereo movie. And in my case surrounds are silent. Any 5.1 movie are fine in my case.
Yep, no problem.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Disney + was a home run for my GF with all the Pixar movies. She even put the TiVo remote (Comcast cable card) down and started using the Firestick remote. (Have Firestick in all 3 rooms just like Apple TV and TiVo). I did notice that Apple TV 4K has HDR on Mandalorian but Firestick 4K doesn’t. Both have it in 5.1 not Atmos. The Apple TV 4K also gets Atmos on the Starwars movies but not the Firestick 4K.

I purchased my Disney + thru Amazon since it was simple from the Firestick to do it that way. I did the year plan to save some money. I have a Disney + login though.

My understanding is a couple more Starwars shows are coming. It’s not just Mandalorian.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Disney + was a home run for my GF with all the Pixar movies. She even put the TiVo remote (Comcast cable card) down and started using the Firestick remote. (Have Firestick in all 3 rooms just like Apple TV and TiVo). I did notice that Apple TV 4K has HDR on Mandalorian but Firestick 4K doesn’t. Both have it in 5.1 not Atmos. The Apple TV 4K also gets Atmos on the Starwars movies but not the Firestick 4K.

I purchased my Disney + thru Amazon since it was simple from the Firestick to do it that way. I did the year plan to save some money. I have a Disney + login though.

My understanding is a couple more Starwars shows are coming. It’s not just Mandalorian.
Interesting how the capabilities of each fire stick (or even type of fire device)/app are different. I'd bet my fire stick doesn't do Amzon's Ultra HD but not so interested in trying that out. I wonder if I got a 4k fire stick without a 4k display if I'd get multich audio? I literally went thru the whole of the Disney offerings and either I have the disc already (I have a lot of Pixar stuff) or not terribly interesting. I really did expect more content somehow. I was wondering if it is limited because it is thru Amazon, or perhaps if the Disney login helps or....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting how the capabilities of each fire stick (or even type of fire device)/app are different. I'd bet my fire stick doesn't do Amzon's Ultra HD but not so interested in trying that out. I wonder if I got a 4k fire stick without a 4k display if I'd get multich audio? I literally went thru the whole of the Disney offerings and either I have the disc already (I have a lot of Pixar stuff) or not terribly interesting. I really did expect more content somehow. I was wondering if it is limited because it is thru Amazon, or perhaps if the Disney login helps or....
You don’t get 5.1? I think the Firestick 4K is still $25 for prime members until the end of the year with the promo code. My 2 other rooms have just 1080p and Firestick 4K and they get 5.1 DD+

I have Starwars movies but not in Atmos so that might be cool but seems to only be in the Apple TV 4K in Atmos. I’m changing out by bipole sides for monopoles this weekend. Then I need to install the 4 ceilings next week for 5.1.4

I didn’t have any Pixar discs except Incredibles so that’s a plus for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis