Need a wireless setup

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Sorry if this happens to be in the incorrect section, but if so, mods please move.

I'm looking for a wireless speaker system that will serve well for general TV viewing. For reference, I currently have an LG OLED E7p hanging in my living room, so we use the attached sound bar for sound (no receiver hooked up to this TV, not sure if I would need one with any of these wireless systems). The E7p will be moving to the bedroom as I just purchased a C9 and need more than the junk speakers installed on the TV. The TV is mounted on a floor to ceiling fireplace, so there's not much I can do to hide wires. I also do not need to have a super top of the line system as I have an SVS ultra 7.2 system (to be set up soon) in the basement dedicated HT room. This living room TV is for News, sports, kids shows, and general Netflix relaxing at the end of the day. The room is roughly 20x20 with a 25 foot cathedral ceiling.

Basically I'm looking for the best sound, with a small form factor. I'm not opposed to a sound bar and wireless rears. Curious to see what everyone thinks the best system would be. I literally know close to nothing about the wireless sound systems, and I've never really had the need for wireless until now. I have hear good things about HEOS and Sonos, but I would like to hear some other opinions. I just don't want to hop into an option and feel like I made a big mistake (ie getting a 3.1 sound bar and wishing I picked up a 5.1 wireless system or something)

Thanks in advance.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Kef LSX series comes to mind. Also I know Salk Sound can do custom ones.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks didn't know about the LSX, will consider that. Ideally, any speakers will be mounted on the wall. There is a mantle for the center to rest on as well, but I'm not opposed to 2.0 sound. The multi room systems like HEOS or Sonos have my eye thought as the wife said she wants to be able to play music in multiple rooms. Maybe this would kill two birds with one stone.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks didn't know about the LSX, will consider that. Ideally, any speakers will be mounted on the wall.
So you don’t mind the power cables dangling down the wall?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that vein just what wires do you want to do away with? Maybe there are some wifi/bt battery powered speakers you might call wireless, but otherwise....

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
With the kind of viewing and room you're describing, especially with that cathedral ceiling, I think I'd just do the Sonos Beam or Soundbar. I'm not typically a fan of sound bars, but I think this is the right approach for one. The Sonos may be a little pricey for what they are, but they sound pretty good - especially for this purpose, they're easy to use, and they're expandable if you decide you want to add the surrounds or sub later on, or add in speakers or Amps in other rooms for a multi-room setup. You aren't going to get any kind of reference sound in that room without significant cost/effort, and it doesn't sound like your viewing habits in that room require it anyway, so what I would be looking for there is something that is 1) easy to use for everyone in the family; 2) works without a lot of thought (no point in room correction software, etc). and 3) is somewhat multi-functional. The Sonos gives you your TV audio but also obviously gets you access to all your music streaming services. It's also Alexa compatible if that's important to you.

I think HEOS offers a similar product at a roughly similar price point, so maybe play around with both apps and see which you find easier to use.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
All,

Thanks for the input. Wayne and lovin, I was thinking about getting rid of all of the wires. I guess most would still need to be powered somehow though, but ideally I would like no wires. Remember, I'm not overly concerned with "the best sound", but more or less what would sound the very good while losing the majority of cords as I have no receiver hooked up in this room.

Right now I'm leaning toward Sonos. I also considered Nakamichi - Shockwafe 9.2.4, but I think that I will set all of this up and feel like I should have just purchased another full system. At least with Sonos, I can bring some of the speakers in other rooms when we have guests and are listing to music in various rooms.

Play Bar, Play 5, Sub

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
All,

Thanks for the input. Wayne and lovin, I was thinking about getting rid of all of the wires. I guess most would still need to be powered somehow though, but ideally I would like no wires. Remember, I'm not overly concerned with "the best sound", but more or less what would sound the very good while losing the majority of cords as I have no receiver hooked up in this room.

Right now I'm leaning toward Sonos. I also considered Nakamichi - Shockwafe 9.2.4, but I think that I will set all of this up and feel like I should have just purchased another full system. At least with Sonos, I can bring some of the speakers in other rooms when we have guests and are listing to music in various rooms.

Play Bar, Play 5, Sub

I think that's a good plan, but why do you want the Play 5? For other rooms or for that one? I would think for that room, you could do the Playbar, the Sub and two Play 1's

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Wayne and lovin, I was thinking about getting rid of all of the wires. I guess most would still need to be powered somehow though, but ideally I would like no wires.
The only other option is battery-powered speakers. They’ll work fine, as long as you don’t mind recharging them all the time and having them go dead in the middle of your program.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I think that's a good plan, but why do you want the Play 5? For other rooms or for that one? I would think for that room, you could do the Playbar, the Sub and two Play 1's
So I made the purchase last night, Playbar, Sub, 2 Play 5s and 2 One's. I plan on using the 5s in other rooms for music when we have company. The ones will be the surrounds for HT. Now I know these are only capable of 5.1 (bar sub and two rears),but will it be easy to activate the 5s vs the ones and vice versa? I ordered them online so I'm not quite sure how I will handle all of this.

Furthermore, I also had purchased a pair of Klipsch AW-650 which I was going to install outdoors for music on our deck. Should I consider the Sonos outdoor speakers, and do I need one of the Sonos amps to use them?

Again, thanks for all the help thus far. I really know close to nothing about wireless speakers.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't have a problem with the Sonos products, other than the PlayBase and the Beam- I haven't heard either sound as good as the PlayBar.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Each Sonos speaker gets it's own name, so you can direct sound however you'd like to whichever speaker. You can group speakers as well. The app is pretty self-explanatory to walk through.

As for outdoor speakers, you will need to power them off of some kind of amp. The Sonos outdoor speakers aren't really Sonos, they're just Sonance speakers sold through Sonos. Nothing wrong with them, but they aren't active speakers like the Play1 or Play5, they need an amp like any other speaker. You can drive them off of their own amp or you can buy a Sonos Amp if you want to connect them to the rest of the system.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

I really like my Sonos speakers. The sound from the play 5 is awesome. Once summer comes I would like to have outdoor speakers set up. I currently have a pair of Klipsch AW-650's BNIB. Has anyone heard these in comparison to the Sonance? Is the AMP powerful enough to drive the 650's?

I really love the sound of the play 5's and think the Klipsch horn might not produce the sound I'm growing to really enjoy.

Thoughts?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Outdoor speakers are different in that the boundaries are larger, sometimes non existent. The horn would help with that if anything, but again its outdoor speakers, so none are really used for critical listening

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis