SVS PB 3000 VS RYTHMIK FV15HP

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely need to stop using data bass as the end all be all. Good resource to look at though.
It's not an end all, but is consistent in his measurement method, and follows a standard. It's a great resource as the testing is very thorough. So no I want stop using his data. Other than a couple of others, ie James, they are the standard we have. The NRC measurements are great due to conditions, which most would never be able to replicate.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I didn’t say to stop using it, actually said it was a good resource.

just too many people say this sub is better than this sub based on data bass. If a sub hits 121db@20hz doesn’t make it better then one that hits 111db@20hz.

that thread on avs with cap4k vs fv25 is kinda interesting but huge bias is going on there. When fv28 comes out it’ll be much cheaper and outperform cap4k in output numbers. Again that’s not the whole story though.

so many great options out there but I’d skip jtr 1200xs. Performance is closer to fvx15 or vtf15. Fv15hp has many advantages.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I didn’t say to stop using it, actually said it was a good resource.

just too many people say this sub is better than this sub based on data bass. If a sub hits 121db@20hz doesn’t make it better then one that hits 111db@20hz.

that thread on avs with cap4k vs fv25 is kinda interesting but huge bias is going on there. When fv28 comes out it’ll be much cheaper and outperform cap4k in output numbers. Again that’s not the whole story though.

so many great options out there but I’d skip jtr 1200xs. Performance is closer to fvx15 or vtf15. Fv15hp has many advantages.
If sub A reaches 121db @20Hz And sub B reaches 111db @ 20hz The distortion level of sub A @ 111dB @ 20hz will be much lower than sub B Hence forth sub A being better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW I, as do others, look at the whole picture not just spl. Also there are many that don't and don't have their subs setup properly, making things worse. There are many that haven't ever heard a proper setup to know what they are missing.

The Monoprice THX subs are an example of a subs that are all around good performing units.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
FWIW I, as do others, look at the whole picture not just spl. Also there are many that don't and don't have their subs setup properly, making things worse. There are many that haven't ever heard a proper setup to know what they are missing.

The Monoprice THX subs are an example of a subs that are all around good performing units.
I agree it’s all about THD and those Monoliths have very low numbers

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Distortion levels don’t matter as much in subwoofers. Many have proven Distortion adds to tactile experience. Spl is not the way we should decide which sub sounds better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Distortion levels don’t matter as much in subwoofers. Many have proven Distortion adds to tactile experience. Spl is not the way we should decide which sub sounds better.
Certain harmonics can, but if you are someone that has a high crossover, it's very important...

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Distortion adds to tactile experience in subwoofers? I suggest you read this article

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say distortion matters, at least if you care for accurate sound reproduction, and would I not agree that distortion has been proven to add to tactile experience. I do agree that SPL is not the highest determining factor on what sub will sound better, qualitatively at least, but that is just subjective preference.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I posted a bunch of stuff about that thread but I deleted it. Just didn’t want to bring up avs and all the bias. I like how Audioholics does things much better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I see that this thread has been shared. Lol
I'm not sure what you are trying to reference, but I was addressing your remarks, also I'm not a member of another audio forum. You seem a little jumpy when being engaged in this discussion. I'll let others continue.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Jumpy? I was just sharing my experience. I have zero interest in arguing really.

I think at times people over value high output subs and it really comes down to what you want to achieve. Really all I was trying to say, and I wasnt referring to you or accusing anyone of doing something wrong.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Jumpy? I was just sharing my experience. I have zero interest in arguing really.

I think at times people over value high output subs and it really comes down to what you want to achieve. Really all I was trying to say, and I wasnt referring to you or accusing anyone of doing something wrong.
I was in agreement with you about most all, till we got to the distortion discussion as it wasn't a simple answer and some should know why.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I was in agreement with you about most all, till we got to the distortion discussion as it wasn't a simple answer and some should know why.
I totally agree and I have no problem with anything you said. A lot of it an a real conversation would of been clearer. A lot of this posted gets twisted or read in a way that’s not meant. Distortion does matter for sure but if one sub is 6%@30hz@117db and the other is 10%@30@116 dB it’s really not audible to our ears.

really all I was trying to say. Thanks

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I deleted one post that wasn’t responded to yet because I didn’t want to bring a different thread into this topic. Especially from another forum that was name calling and saying untrue things.

if that confused you I apologize.

I’m sure you already know all of this though

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Very funny, picking bits and pieces.
Typical fake news bs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers