Issue with Jamo Bookshelf speakers and Denon Receiver

W

wave.91

Audiophyte
So I have had this problem with these Jamo bookshelf speakers before. I got them from a friend's parent, they upgraded their speakers so I received them in a functioning condition. However, whenever I have tried to connect them to my Denon receiver, there is a lot of static and very faint signal coming from either my record player or TV. I know this is not an issue with the receiver as I have had success with other speakers. I refuse to believe these speakers do not work, and would love any help anyone could give. The only thing I can think of is in their previous setup they had very very thick speaker wire.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have had this problem with these Jamo bookshelf speakers before. I got them from a friend's parent, they upgraded their speakers so I received them in a functioning condition. However, whenever I have tried to connect them to my Denon receiver, there is a lot of static and very faint signal coming from either my record player or TV. I know this is not an issue with the receiver as I have had success with other speakers. I refuse to believe these speakers do not work, and would love any help anyone could give. The only thing I can think of is in their previous setup they had very very thick speaker wire.
Electronically speakers are pretty simple. If other speakers work with your Denon, then those Jamo speakers ARE most likely blown.

The way to tell is to see if those speakers work on another set up.

Speaker wire is not the issue.

What is the model of those speakers? There is the very remote possibility that those speaker have an impedance that makes them unsuitable to be driven by a receiver.

W

wave.91

Audiophyte
They are Jamo Cornet 145's. I have had this issue before with these speakers, and after connecting a different set of speakers to the receiver I had no issues. I did witness them being fully functional before switching them to my setup only to have a lot of static and low signal from the source of the sound. It does say the impedence is 6 ohms on the back. It also says long term power 60 w and short term power 90 w.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Speakers generally are being driven with less than a couple of watts, depending on distance and sensitivity. Mark is probably right about the speakers being blown. What you are hearing, if other speakers function fine, is a damaged speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure sounds like the speakers are an issue. You can try them on another amp perhaps but doubt that will change anything. Did you ask your friends' parents if they had any issues with the speakers? Your logic that because they upgraded speakers these must work fine isn't conclusive....

W

wave.91

Audiophyte
I witnessed them working in their home theatre system before disconnecting and originally transporting to my home. However, I really appreciate all of the advice, I ended up doing a couple of tests and I guess they are in fact blown. How this happened is beyond me, but I have moved on to new speakers. Thank you everyone for the help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I witnessed them working in their home theatre system before disconnecting and originally transporting to my home. However, I really appreciate all of the advice, I ended up doing a couple of tests and I guess they are in fact blown. How this happened is beyond me, but I have moved on to new speakers. Thank you everyone for the help.
You did the disconnecting under power or something odd happen during disconnection? Just curious, blown is blown to an extent (unless you want to trouble shoot what particularly has gone wrong).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They could even be fixable. It's surprising the parts you can find with a little patience and some searching skills.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis