Marantz SR6014 vs Denon AVR-X3600H

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
I’m interested in a 7.2.4 setup. Don’t care too much about the surround amplification, but want external amplification of front LR channels.

I think these 2 AVRs might be ideal since they process 11 channels while only amplifying 9, so I’m not paying for amplification I don’t need.

Per the Audioholics article on the Denon, it’s also ideal because you can assign the external amp to the front LR and the preamp doesn’t clip until 4V.

Does the Marantz definitely behave the same way, and if so, would it be preferred over the Denon for better internal amps?

I plan to use with the Benchmark AHB2 power amp that I think only has XLR inputs. Is there any cause for concern there? Presumably a simple adaptor is all that’s needed? Would there be any audible difference using a Surround processor with fully balanced XLR outs instead?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m interested in a 7.2.4 setup. Don’t care too much about the surround amplification, but want external amplification of front LR channels.

I think these 2 AVRs might be ideal since they process 11 channels while only amplifying 9, so I’m not paying for amplification I don’t need.

Per the Audioholics article on the Denon, it’s also ideal because you can assign the external amp to the front LR and the preamp doesn’t clip until 4V.

Does the Marantz definitely behave the same way, and if so, would it be preferred over the Denon for better internal amps?

I plan to use with the Benchmark AHB2 power amp that I think only has XLR inputs. Is there any cause for concern there? Presumably a simple adaptor is all that’s needed? Would there be any audible difference using a Surround processor with fully balanced XLR outs instead?
Marantz and Denon do behave the same, and in fact for comparable models, the internals are the same except Marantz has the extra HDAM buffer stage that may or may not help/hurt. If you are in Canada, the SR7013 is now at C$1199.99, that is US$912. At that price, why bother with the SR6014? Such low price may not be available in the US and other countries yet, but it may be a good indicator that the 2018 models will soon be ready for blow out sales in the US and other countries too.

You can use a RCA to XLR cable for use with the AHB2, but be sure to set the AHB2 to the highest sensitivity position. Even then, you are not going to gain much power if any, unless you use two AHB2 so you can run them bridged, that is one AHB2 per channel.

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
I've been reading a lot on these forums lately, as I've been making some changes to my equipment and setup. It's been very helpful. And you, Peng, have written countless helpful replies to people, including me. Thank you.

When I saw you'd replied to this thread, I predicted you would suggest the X3600H over the SR 6013, before I read your post. I can't back that impression up by citing specific posts or anything, but that was what my reading led me to guess. I was even more surprised you recommended the SR7013! I'd thought you'd said audible differences were very minimal across models in these price tiers.

Just goes to show I need to read carefully, and avoid leaping to conclusions. :)

By the way, those prices on the SR7013 are not available in the US right now, and I haven't heard much about the 7014. I'm not sure the 7012 ever got that low here - I would guess a $999 closeout price. Interesting to know that might be coming soon on the 13.

(Sorry I don't have info for you, Sendu. Best wishes for your upgrade.)

Thanks.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Marantz and Denon do behave the same, and in fact for comparable models, the internals are the same except Marantz has the extra HDAM buffer stage that may or may not help/hurt. If you are in Canada, the SR7013 is now at C$1199.99, that is US$912. At that price, why bother with the SR6014? Such low price may not be available in the US and other countries yet, but it may be a good indicator that the 2018 models will soon be ready for blow out sales in the US and other countries too.

You can use a RCA to XLR cable for use with the AHB2, but be sure to set the AHB2 to the highest sensitivity position. Even then, you are not going to gain much power if any, unless you use two AHB2 so you can run them bridged, that is one AHB2 per channel.
Does the Marantz sr7013 or sr6014 shut down the internal L/R amplification when using all 11 channels while using an external amplifier for the L/R like the Denon x3600?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Does the Marantz sr7013 or sr6014 shut down the internal L/R amplification when using all 11 channels while using an external amplifier for the L/R like the Denon x3600?
Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but I think you are asking if the Amps for L/R Mains are able to be switched off as a user option on the Marantz models? To my understanding, no, at least of the xx12 and xx13 models. That seems to be something they do on some of the Denons that I wish they would do on the Marantz models.
Perhaps @PENG can clarify?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but I think you are asking if the Amps for L/R Mains are able to be switched off as a user option on the Marantz models? To my understanding, no, at least of the xx12 and xx13 models. That seems to be something they do on some of the Denons that I wish they would do on the Marantz models.
Perhaps @PENG can clarify?
Thanks, I misunderstood his question. Good thing I was able to delete my response to avoid confusing others.

As far as using the pre outs for L/R while reassigning the internal L/R amps for the other 9 channels, the SR6012 should be able to do it too like the x3600h.

I thought we had this conversation before but I don't remember if I included a screenshot for you to check. It not, please try it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I misunderstood his question. Good thing I was able to delete my response to avoid confusing others.

As far as using the pre outs for L/R while reassigning the internal L/R amps for the other 9 channels, the SR6012 should be able to do it too like the x3600h.

I thought we had this conversation before but I don't remember if I included a screenshot for you to check. It not, please try it.
I’m not totally sure I’m following your suggestion but if I am... I use a 6012 in a 7.3.4 configuration. I reassigned the L/R to Top rear(iirc) and use the LR preouts to my Yamaha amp.
If I understood the original question, it was if the amp channels get turned off when the rca connection is made. AFAIK, they’re both live all the time. Maybe I need more coffee?!?!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Its a tricky thing... without the Atmos speakers connected to the Marantz AVR (SR6012, in my case) I cannot turn off the amps while using the pre-outs for L/R Mains. I did some diving a while back and, IIRC, confirmed that I can do what is discussed, but need to have the Atmos speakers connected...
Perhaps it is just a misunderstanding (again) on my part, but I thought a Denon model, somewhere along their line, allowed a user to switch off the L/R mains Amp if using the Pre-outs, and not requiring reassignment to another speaker channel as described above.
Does that make sense, what I'm describing?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a tricky thing... without the Atmos speakers connected to the Marantz AVR (SR6012, in my case) I cannot turn off the amps while using the pre-outs for L/R Mains. I did some diving a while back and, IIRC, confirmed that I can do what is discussed, but need to have the Atmos speakers connected...
Yes you do have to select 11.1, i.e. in the assign mode layout you have to select 4 ch for the height/top speakers. You don't have to connect the speakers though, you can still select "none" for those channels.

So you may be right saying it is tricky, because if you are only doing 7.1 or 9.1, you have to lie to the amp assign menu lol..

Perhaps it is just a misunderstanding (again) on my part, but I thought a Denon model, somewhere along their line, allowed a user to switch off the L/R mains Amp if using the Pre-outs, and not requiring reassignment to another speaker channel as described above.
Does that make sense, what I'm describing?
I guess then you did misunderstand a little (like 5% +/-:D). Denon's work exactly the same way. That's why Gene stated specifically in point 3 of the procedure he provided in the X3600H review (https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3600h)

"Here is the procedure for reassigning the front channels to the height surrounds:
  1. Go to AVR`s setup menu
  2. Select “Speakers”, enter “Amp Assign”
  3. Select “11.1ch” for “Assign Mode” setting
  4. Select “Front” for “Preout” setting. The other option is “Height”.
Gents, make no mistake, and don't listen to the marketing hypes, practically speaking, Denon in fact=Marantz when comparing equivalent models, except the 7.1 analog inputs (useless to most people) and the HDAM modules that are found in Marantz only. That's why between the two I always recommend that if both satisfy your I/O needs and if look is not an issue, then just go for the one that you can find a better deal for.

The screenshot below should help, hopefully. Again, you can cheat if you don't have 4 top/height speakers connected.

11.1.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m not totally sure I’m following your suggestion but if I am... I use a 6012 in a 7.3.4 configuration. I reassigned the L/R to Top rear(iirc) and use the LR preouts to my Yamaha amp.
If I understood the original question, it was if the amp channels get turned off when the rca connection is made. AFAIK, they’re both live all the time. Maybe I need more coffee?!?!
Please see my response to Ryan, after coffee obviously.. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis