Two New Nvidia ShieldTV Streamers Reported To Be Coming

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This looks interesting...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/17/new-nvidia-shield-android-tv-streaming-device-leaks-via-amazon-listing/

The fact that Nvidia is updating its Shield TV hardware has already been telegraphed via an FCC filing, but a leak earlier today paints much more of a detailed picture. An Amazon listing for a new Nvidia Shield Pro set-top streaming device went live briefly before being taken down, showing a familiar hardware design and a new remote control and listing some of the forthcoming feature updates new to this generation of hardware.

The listing, captured by the eagle-eyed Android TV Rumors and shared via Twitter, includes a $199.99 price point, specs that include 3GB of RAM, 2x USB ports, a new Nvidia Tegra X1+ chip and 16GB of on-board storage. In addition to the price, the Amazon listing had a release date for the new hardware of October 28.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The latest information now that they are official. For me the question is, will they have Amazon Music HD available (FLAC) or just the old MP3 version. As a long time Shield user I'm just wondering if they'll start releasing new or more more Shield ready apps. What's sucked about the otherwise world beating Shield media player is the darth of state of the art Android TV/Shield-TV apps. Time to wake up guys. For now, until NVIDIA catches up I've fallen back to Roku (2019), but hoping that the Shield catches up again.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The latest information now that they are official. For me the question is, will they have Amazon Music HD available (FLAC) or just the old MP3 version. As a long time Shield user I'm just wondering if they'll start releasing new or more more Shield ready apps. What's sucked about the otherwise world beating Shield media player is the darth of state of the art Android TV/Shield-TV apps. Time to wake up guys. For now, until NVIDIA catches up I've fallen back to Roku (2019), but hoping that the Shield catches up again.

Good thing is Google is taking Android TV much more seriously now. I have no need for DV and as much as I like the new Amazon Music, it doesn't work with Google Home so it's a no go for me. Wish Google would just make Google Play Music better instead of going to YouTube Music. IMHO YouTube Music sucks big time.

https://www.slashgear.com/google-isnt-giving-up-on-android-tv-10594921/

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Good thing is Google is taking Android TV much more seriously now. I have no need for DV and as much as I like the new Amazon Music, it doesn't work with Google Home so it's a no go for me. Wish Google would just make Google Play Music better instead of going to YouTube Music. IMHO YouTube Music sucks big time.

https://www.slashgear.com/google-isnt-giving-up-on-android-tv-10594921/
They need more apps like Android Music HD, and dozens more. But for now I'm happy with the new Roku and may just stick with that.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have been really interested in getting a Shield but a big turn off for me has been the lack of integrated support for a universal remote control. Any device which requires you to buy something else just to get 1980's level of control from a universal remote is woefully behind the times. I suppose if they had an open API with standardized remote control functionality, that may be acceptable. But, as it stands, most integrators buy their USB controller to get IR functionality. Which is absolutely ludicrous. Then, the functionality still appears to be very limited. Which, once again, sucks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have been really interested in getting a Shield but a big turn off for me has been the lack of integrated support for a universal remote control. Any device which requires you to buy something else just to get 1980's level of control from a universal remote is woefully behind the times. I suppose if they had an open API with standardized remote control functionality, that may be acceptable. But, as it stands, most integrators buy their USB controller to get IR functionality. Which is absolutely ludicrous. Then, the functionality still appears to be very limited. Which, once again, sucks.
I control mine via IP and bluetooth. I've never used my shield for IR (I have the original with a blaster built in).

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Harmony Hub remotes work fine. Instead of IR they use Bluetooth. It takes a bit of work because you have to pair the two and map the keys but it's easy.

R

RRRR

Audioholic Intern
Same device as from 2015 + 2017
NVIDIA is lying to customers, this is not a new device
And there is no 25% improvement

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Harmony Hub remotes work fine. Instead of IR they use Bluetooth. It takes a bit of work because you have to pair the two and map the keys but it's easy.
Yep. That's what I've done on all three of mine. Works great.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Incorrect. This device supports Dolby Vision, the previous models do not. It also supports Atmos from services like Netflix, the previous models do not.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It features a new processor with new features that neither of the previous devices had before. Way to do your homework...

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Personally I don't think there is a better streaming device then the new Nvidia shield. The ability to use it's remote to control my receiver, TV. Stream pretty much anything accept Apple... cause Apple Including Kodi.. It's soo full of options I don't even use half of them.

It's had a few bugs, but I think most if not all of them have been worked out?

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Guys,

I have a PC hooked up to the Denon and it to the old LG LED TV. I noticed that when I plug HDD to the TV and play some Blu-ray content picture is great. TVs processing is superb. But sometimes i get some tirle issues and then I hook my HDD to the laptop and play same content there. When played from laptop picture is much worse so I concluded that my TV processes video much better than my laptop. It seems that when playing from laptop "the panel is doing nothing", its like any display, just receiving info.

I am in a process of buying a Sony OLED and they are known for the smoothest processing of all TVs, I prefer them. I would like to avoid a scenario where I will play high-res from any streamer like Nvidia Shield or my laptop, and these devices will process the video and not my new TV.

Benefit of a good TV chipset is to use it for primary video processing and not just "as a window" for a video that was processed in another streaming device.

For example I'm not sure if Netflix from Nvidia Shield will look as good as on the Sony.
Same goes for Blu-ray movies that come to TV directly and when played by another source connected through an AVR.

Maybe you will say that Nvidia shield will process much better than X1 Ultimate chip in Sony TV, but experience with my current setup tells different story. I would still want Sony to process, not just show content.

I hope I'm not confusing you. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe you will say that Nvidia shield will process much better than X1 Ultimate chip in Sony TV, but experience with my current setup tells different story. I would still want Sony to process, not just show content.
Does your current setup include a shield? Seems like you played it from your laptop, so who knows what if any processing it is doing. You can't exactly compare a general use laptop to a dedicated streaming device.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Does your current setup include a shield? Seems like you played it from your laptop, so who knows what if any processing it is doing. You can't exactly compare a general use laptop to a dedicated streaming device.
Yes I guess I can't, you're right. But can you understand why I would want Sony to process, to upscale and else? It is a top dog.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I have the new Shield pro and as well as an LG Oled with the a9 Gen2. The Shield is way better, not just because I have Kodi and all my other steaming aps. But the remote that can control everything.. It's the best streaming options.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I have the new Shield pro and as well as an LG Oled with the a9 Gen2. The Shield is way better, not just because I have Kodi and all my other steaming aps. But the remote that can control everything.. It's the best streaming options.
Shield does better upscaling and motion interpolation than new TV? Hm, that's great.
I agree with streaming, it can do highest bitrate 4k of all and support lossless audio.
That's all we need.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I guess I can't, you're right. But can you understand why I would want Sony to process, to upscale and else? It is a top dog.
Sure, it's a top dog TV, but how likely are they to support the apps you want for an extended period of time? I just want my TV to show a nice picture, I can get all the apps I want somewhere else, likely with a better interface and more long term support. I hardly ever even touch my TV remote anymore. Maybe once every few months I'll drag it out from hiding to tweak some display settings.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Sure, it's a top dog TV, but how likely are they to support the apps you want for an extended period of time? I just want my TV to show a nice picture, I can get all the apps I want somewhere else, likely with a better interface and more long term support. I hardly ever even touch my TV remote anymore. Maybe once every few months I'll drag it out from hiding to tweak some display settings.
That's all true. I was just talking about picture processing aspects, motion and upscaling.

Nowadays your TV can upscale, your AVR can do it, streaming box can do it.

You can watch videos from HDD plugged into any of these sources, so I was just wondering what is the best option in terms of motion/upscaling and picture quality in general.

I will definitely test this when I get all the gear because that is the way I am.

I am really curious if someone is willing to try this and see if maybe movie is upscaled better when plugged in TV than in Shield. Netflix app also interests me, where does it look better.

I would not be able to get all at the same time and I'll be stuck with the TV, so it must be good :D and when I get used to TV processing it will be easier to see the difference when I switch to a streaming box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis