Canton Vento Reference 3 DC

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I posted this question in the deals section page and thought I would also post the question here. I am looking at purchasing the Canton Vento Reference 3 DC not the 3.2 DC from A4L. Is there a difference between the two. I will be using these in a dedicated two channel system as I am having a studio / office being built in my walk out basement. The room will be 11 x 18 with 8 1/2 ft ceilings.

I love the price for the pair and will probably sell the free center channel that comes with this purchase as I won't need it.

Has anyone on the forum purchased these speakers and what are your impressions so far? Anything else with this quality for the price? Seems like the is very limited reviews beside the ones from Stereophile and another publication. I'm looking for reviews from actual owners.

I truly appreciate the comments and feedback.

Thank you,
revrob

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I can speak to the Vento Towers. I have had that lie with the center for about 3 years. They are fantastic. They can play it all well. The tweeter is spot on and smooth or bright as the material calls for it. I can’t say I’ve really seen anything written up on this forum about any of the Canton lineup. I would be confident in your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I own 2 all canton setups and they’re amazing. My main room is vento 896 with 866.2 center. The 4 Atmos and 4 surrounds are all the canton 8” in ceiling/in wall with the ceramic tweeters as well. My avr is an onkyo rz920 and I’m running a b&k 200.5 s2 reference amp. Subs are Rythmik fv18 paper rev2.

I went back and forth looking at that deal you’re talking about. Was kinda bad timing, that deal came out weeks after I got mine and I didn’t want to put mark through a big return. The more research I did the happier I got with my purchase. Those reference speakers are very good but they are getting older now. Obviously older doesn’t mean bad but canton has made some significant upgrades over the years. I had the opportunity to hear some reference 3.2 last month and I loved them as well but they were missing something.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
3.2 vs 896

3.2 excellent mids, sharper tweets, bass that didn’t extend to lowest octaves

896 similar mids, smooth tweeters with amazing details, extended bass with new upgraded titanium drivers.

also the 866.2 vs 50.2 is interesting too. 866 is a 3 way with a tweeter that’s moved up off axis. The 50.2 is a 2 way with tweeter in the middle on axis. 866 is definitely a upgrade in many ways and is very full and detailed.

The new reference line is probably incredible and one day I’m sure I’ll have a set.
If you’re doing a 2ch setup I’d probably get the cherry 896.2 and call it a day.

Then again the a45 would be nice as well. Too bad they don’t carry the a65.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
On a side note in my master bedroom I have chrono 518 and 515 center in white with pioneer elite 502. Sub is a Rythmik e15. These new chrono rock and I’m very impressed with them as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't had the chance to listen to them, but there are several people here that have various Canton speakers. In general, they seem to be held in pretty high regard. :)

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all of the replies. I don't do home theater per se and the system I am building is for a 2-channel system only. This for my office / listening room that is currently being built. I had some Salk HT3 speakers several years ago and absolutely loved them but sold them when my son went to college.

Purchased a new home 2 years ago and now back to the drawing board for new speakers. I thought about the Canton 9.2 with stands and subwoofers but was offered a pretty good deal on a new pair of the Reference 3 DC. Because I am building my own listening room to spec and with mostly Class A components I believe it will be good synergy. Downside is that I have never listened to the Cantons.

Reading the Stereophile article and measurements and the phenomenal price I can purchase them for it seems like a no brainer. I don't want to upgrade later own so I will probably pull the trigger on these sometime tomorrow. Also looking to add an inexpensive / quality turntable to the system as well. (suggestions)

I appreciate all of the feedback.

Peace.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can’t say I’ve really seen anything written up on this forum about any of the Canton lineup.
Say What?
Am I just wasting my time? ;)

See post #7:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/canton-vento-820-2-2-way-6in-bookshelf-speaker.109838/#post-1223215

And here:

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Say What?

See post #7:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/canton-vento-820-2-2-way-6in-bookshelf-speaker.109838/#post-1223215

And here:
Sorry. You are correct. Typing on my phone is not great. My intent was to say I have never seen anything negative posted on the site about Cantons.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General

Here are my towers at my old house. Just relocated and need to get some updates.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Say What?

See post #7:

And here:

Thank you for the information. Much appreciate it.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I was able to purchase the Reference 3 DC for a discounted price today from Mark. I want to thank all of you that help me make a decision with my purchase by providing first hand experience with Canton speakers. I am looking forward to hearing them in my system. Previous speakers where the Salk HT3 full range speakers.

Peace

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Make sure you get back to us with your first impressions and review.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was able to purchase the Reference 3 DC for a discounted price today from Mark. I want to thank all of you that help me make a decision with my purchase by providing first hand experience with Canton speakers. I am looking forward to hearing them in my system. Previous speakers where the Salk HT3 full range speakers.

Peace
What?!
You’re changing from Salk HT3s?

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
What?!
You’re changing from Salk HT3s?
Not actually. I sold my Salk HT3 5 years ago when my son went to college. I actually sold my entire system to help with his expenses. Since then I been using some Lenehan Audio bookshelf speakers in my living room. My wife and I decided to fix up the lower level of our house where I could build my own office / listening room. I was going to use the Lenehans and my SVS subwoofers but she loves the system so I gave it to her and now I am starting from scratch.

I have a budget for $3500 for speakers about what I sold my HT3 for and starting researching some new speaker choices which led me to the Cantons. After reading several reviews and staying within my budget (including shipping) I decided to pull the trigger on a brand new pair of the Cantons after being offered a great deal with free shipping.

The Salks were the best speakers I have owned but they're about $7,000 today with shipping and out of my budget. So that my story.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just saw your post from last week over on Audiogon. Dig it.

As a very fortunate and grateful owner of Salk-built Phil 3s, I get, truly, the magic of Jim and Dennis working together.

And yes, those HT3s were my pie-in-the-sky speaker... if only I had an extra $3K! :p My understanding of the story is that Dennis started the Phil 2/3 speaker as a response to his work on the Salk SS8. Many have said that is one of the best speakers they had ever heard. Dennis wanted something more affordable. :) After having the Phil 3s in my home for a bit, I had the opportunity to hear the newer Salk SS9.5 at the CAS this year. Stunning.

And I get your position. :D

I hope the Cantons work out well for you!!! I do hope you will come back and post your thoughts once you get them all set up and adjusted.

Best,
R

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis