Monoprice Monolith THX-365T Mini-Tower and THX-365C Center Speaker Review

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are you planning for a full review of the new Monolith full size towers?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are you planning for a full review of the new Monolith full size towers?
Not planning on it at the moment, since we just did the mini-towers, but that could change as we line up future reviews.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Not planning on it at the moment, since we just did the mini-towers, but that could change as we line up future reviews.
I hope it does change. I'd love to see how these compare to the Prime Pinnacles

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
Waiting for some objective reviews on the Monolith floorstanders to come out, but I expect they will also have impressive performance. I'm considering them and the Monolith center to upgrade the front 3 in our multichannel system.

One of the things I really appreciate about this line is that the center (at $399) seems to be a great value compared to the overpriced 2-way centers that many companies offer to match their floorstanders in the $2,000/pair range. Lots of companies try to gouge you with a $500-800 2-way center to match their $2,000/pair floorstanders - the value equation seems way off for those centers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Waiting for some objective reviews on the Monolith floorstanders to come out, but I expect they will also have impressive performance. I'm considering them and the Monolith center to upgrade the front 3 in our multichannel system.

One of the things I really appreciate about this line is that the center (at $399) seems to be a great value compared to the overpriced 2-way centers that many companies offer to match their floorstanders in the $2,000/pair range. Lots of companies try to gouge you with a $500-800 2-way center to match their $2,000/pair floorstanders - the value equation seems way off for those centers.
Don't hold your breath for objective reviews of those towers. The only reviewer publications that do consistent and thorough measurements is Audioholics, Soundstage, and Stereophile. I doubt that Stereophile will be taking Monoprice speakers on. Soundstage doesn't seem to have a very strong relationship with Monoprice, although they did review the 15" THX Ultra sub, but I am guessing that was due to Brent Butterworth's string-pulling rather than Soundstage's editorial interest in their products (that is only a guess though). IF Audioholics does a review on those towers, it won't be for awhile. But the thing is, their performance is fairly predictable given when was seen from the 365T and 365C reviews. The only real difference should be that the towers will have real bass extension. If the measured performance of the 365T speakers is appealing to you, then the towers will be a safe bet.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
James Larson stated the following on Sept 10 regarding the Monoprice Monolith THX-460T - "We will try to catch a demo of these at the CEDIA 2019 show this week to give some listening impressions. Otherwise, expect us to do a full detailed review next year." Not that we should hold them (anyone) to everything they state, however James did indicate a review is forth coming.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
James Larson stated the following on Sept 10 regarding the Monoprice Monolith THX-460T - "We will try to catch a demo of these at the CEDIA 2019 show this week to give some listening impressions. Otherwise, expect us to do a full detailed review next year." Not that we should hold them (anyone) to everything they state, however James did indicate a review is forth coming.
How low do the towers go ? This looks incredible value for a low price point as far as new speakers go .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How low do the towers go ? This looks incredible value for a low price point as far as new speakers go .

Free the reptile aliens

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern

Free the reptile aliens
Yes I agree, both the Bookshelf (THX-365T) and Towers (THX-460T / THX-465T) appear to be an outstanding Performance/Cost ratio..., and given that most people now-a-days run 1 or more Subs, your money goes into these speakers where it COUNTS, and not into speakers 'trying' to play Lower and with MORE Bass then they can actually handle. All the specs are now out on the Monoprice website - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39158 I for one would get the Towers and run them Sealed and crossed-over at 70 hz (or 80 hz depending on the design of the Sealed mode. I would need to Learn more, or get them in-hand to know better). To answer your question: The Frequency Response is 29Hz ~ 24kHz Ported -and- 45Hz ~ 24kHz Sealed. I can only hope that Monoprice takes my suggestion of producing a matching Center with Quad Mid-range woofers... say the THX-460C ;) The THX-365C is quite good and all, however for seriously Loud Music & Movies (or say Larger rooms) without 'any' strain in the Mid-bass region, I truly hope that Monoprice makes a Quad woofer center speaker... for it would be Totally worth it. At this Price I would run THX-460Ts for both Side and Rear surrounds..., just not yet sure what we are to do for the 4 (or 6) Atmos ceiling height channels? I don't believe I have yet heard of a Monolith THX-365H (could be configured as a 1 - 6.5" woofer, 2 - 2" mids, and 1 - 1" tweeter..., so the very same drivers and just a slightly different configuration..., but again I have yet to hear anything about a dedicated Monolith THX Atmos Ceiling Height channel speaker).

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes I agree, both the Bookshelf (THX-365T) and Towers (THX-460T / THX-465T) appear to be an outstanding Performance/Cost ratio..., and given that most people now-a-days run 1 or more Subs, your money goes into these speakers where it COUNTS, and not into speakers 'trying' to play Lower and with MORE Bass then they can actually handle. All the specs are now out on the Monoprice website - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39158 I for one would get the Towers and run them Sealed and crossed-over at 70 hz (or 80 hz depending on the design of the Sealed mode. I would need to Learn more, or get them in-hand to know better). To answer your question: The Frequency Response is 29Hz ~ 24kHz Ported -and- 45Hz ~ 24kHz Sealed. I can only hope that Monoprice takes my suggestion of producing a matching Center with Quad Mid-range woofers... say the THX-460C ;) The THX-365C is quite good and all, however for seriously Loud Music & Movies (or say Larger rooms) without 'any' strain in the Mid-bass region, I truly hope that Monoprice makes a Quad woofer center speaker... for it would be Totally worth it. At this Price I would run THX-460Ts for both Side and Rear surrounds..., just not yet sure what we are to do for the 4 (or 6) Atmos ceiling height channels? I don't believe I have yet heard of a Monolith THX-365H (could be configured as a 1 - 6.5" woofer, 2 - 2" mids, and 1 - 1" tweeter..., so the very same drivers and just a slightly different configuration..., but again I have yet to hear anything about a dedicated Monolith THX Atmos Ceiling Height channel speaker).
Using for bass drivers on the THX-365C might actually degrade performance a bit. It would stretch out the acoustic center of the bass drivers and increase off-axis cancellation. It might take it out of THX's spec at that point.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
Using for bass drivers on the THX-365C might actually degrade performance a bit. It would stretch out the acoustic center of the bass drivers and increase off-axis cancellation. It might take it out of THX's spec at that point.
Sorry, not Bass drivers but merely a 2nd set of mid-range drivers. So no different than the THX-460T which is using 4 mid-range drivers and no Bass drivers. So if quad mid-range drivers are done correctly, then just fine it can be. Not done correctly and then of course a mess it could quickly become. Then again the THX-365C crossed-over at 80 hz may surprise the hell out of most and therefore a quad mid-range driver setup won't really be necessary. That said, I never before seen a dual 5/6/7" mid-range driver speaker that had enough piston area to do all that I really wanted from it. For sure some have come very close, but not quite. So YES, I guess I am asking a LOT of Monoprice, however given that they already have a THX-460T, I am simply asking for a THX-460C :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry, not Bass drivers but merely a 2nd set of mid-range drivers. So no different than the THX-460T which is using 4 mid-range drivers and no Bass drivers. So if quad mid-range drivers are done correctly, then just fine it can be. Not done correctly and then of course a mess it could quickly become. Then again the THX-365C crossed-over at 80 hz may surprise the hell out of most and therefore a quad mid-range driver setup won't really be necessary. That said, I never before seen a dual 5/6/7" mid-range driver speaker that had enough piston area to do all that I really wanted from it. For sure some have come very close, but not quite. So YES, I guess I am asking a LOT of Monoprice, however given that they already have a THX-460T, I am simply asking for a THX-460C :)
An interesting center speaker along these lines is the Paradigm Premier 600C, but instead of using four bass drivers (in these three-way speakers, the 6.5"s are being used for bass only so they are functionally bass drivers for the Monolith and Paradigm), it only uses the two inner bass drivers and the two outer 6.5"s are actually passive radiators. I think that is a great way to increase dynamic range without resorting to larger drivers or more drivers, and it doesn't make off-axis lobing worse either, which is what would happen if you made them true drivers.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
An interesting center speaker along these lines is the Paradigm Premier 600C, but instead of using four bass drivers (in these three-way speakers, the 6.5"s are being used for bass only so they are functionally bass drivers for the Monolith and Paradigm),it only uses the two inner bass drivers and the two outer 6.5"s are actually passive radiators. I think that is a great way to increase dynamic range without resorting to larger drivers or more drivers, and it doesn't make off-axis lobing worse either, which is what would happen if you made them true drivers.
Here's another very interesting and effective center speaker specifically designed down to only 80 hz (just as we are discussing here) - McIntosh XCS200 Center Channel Loudspeaker delivers extraordinary sound quality, enormous acoustic output and 600 Watt power-handling. With a frequency response of 80 Hz to 45 kHz. Of course these speakers cost a bit more at Paradigm $1000 and McIntosh $6000. So the we would expect a THX-460C to cost around $700 - $800, but I contend that it would be money well spent. Yet another good example, but once again at a higher price point is the $1650 Goldenear SuperCenter Reference.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here's another very interesting and effective center speaker specifically designed down to only 80 hz (just as we are discussing here) - McIntosh XCS200 Center Channel Loudspeaker delivers extraordinary sound quality, enormous acoustic output and 600 Watt power-handling. With a frequency response of 80 Hz to 45 kHz. Of course these speakers cost a bit more at Paradigm $1000 and McIntosh $6000. So the we would expect a THX-460C to cost around $700 - $800, but I contend that it would be money well spent. Yet another good example, but once again at a higher price point is the $1650 Goldenear SuperCenter Reference.
That McIntosh speaker... the design is unorthodox to be sure. I would want to measure it to be sure of its efficacy. I don't doubt it can get loud, but on the face of it, there may be some real comb-filtering issues.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
That McIntosh speaker... the design is unorthodox to be sure. I would want to measure it to be sure of its efficacy. I don't doubt it can get loud, but on the face of it, there may be some real comb-filtering issues.
Yes, I would hope that McIntosh would know better / would have insured that comb-filtering was addressed (especially given the $6000 price tag). Tekton Design has also addressed comb-filtering despite its unorthodox speaker designs, so here too an interesting center speaker - Tekton Design Double Impact Wide Center (and at a reasonable $1200 price tag).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, I would hope that McIntosh would know better / would have insured that comb-filtering was addressed (especially given the $6000 price tag). Tekton Design has also addressed comb-filtering despite its unorthodox speaker designs, so here too an interesting center speaker - Tekton Design Double Impact Wide Center (and at a reasonable $1200 price tag).
Don't assume that these issues have been addressed in the final product- from any company. Sometimes some manufacturers and designers don't think that certain technical flaws are a big deal and so do not address that issue in the design. This is why measurements are so important- so you can see if and how these potential problems were addressed. I wouldn't want either speaker unless I know for certain how they perform, and that means measurements.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
Hmmm, I stand corrected... for it looks like Monoprice has 'already' addressed THX In-Wall speakers that could be used as Atmos ceiling height channel speakers - Monolith THX-365IW THX Ultra Certified 3-Way In-Wall Speaker, as well as the THX-LCR, and then the little brother THX-265IW. All of which are Timbre matched to the THX-365T & THX-365C & THX-460T speakers, for they all use the very same drivers.... so just as I was suggesting that Monoprice does... Well, great minds think a-like :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Wow $6 grand for McIntosh center? What do they hand craft them like a Ferrari I cannot understand how they possibly cost that much . I guess they are a top of the line brand though ? They are outclassed in the price / performance ratio by many brands .
Might be cheaper to get a goldenear triton single speaker haha , 600 watt powerful for a center wow ! Is that rms ?
I guess quality is worth it if you can afford it , I cannot dream of it .

Free the reptile aliens

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
Any idea as to the power handling? Are we talking say 100 watts continuous, or a bit higher still? How about Peak? Would you say 200 watts peak? Maybe 300 watts absolute peak? -OR- Maybe you can answer it this way... in your review when you stated that they were able to play Loud, did you mean say Peak decibels of 105, 110, or 115... for some folks actually feel that 105 is Loud ;) Ps. I'm not one of those people :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any idea as to the power handling? Are we talking say 100 watts continuous, or a bit higher still? How about Peak? Would you say 200 watts peak? Maybe 300 watts absolute peak? -OR- Maybe you can answer it this way... in your review when you stated that they were able to play Loud, did you mean say Peak decibels of 105, 110, or 115... for some folks actually feel that 105 is Loud ;) Ps. I'm not one of those people :)
Hard to say. It is THX Ultra certified, so it should be able to hit 105 dB peaks in a 3,000 square foot room at a listening distance of 12 ft from the speaker with minimal distortion. But who knows how they derived that. I will say it can certainly get louder than a traditional bookshelf speaker, probably on the level of a three-way tower.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis