SVS SB-2000 vs DefTech ProSub 800

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would a pair of SVS SB2000's be a good upgrade from a pair of Def Tech ProSub 800's?
Room is approx 23x15 with 9 foot ceiling

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the SB2000s would have overall better performance. It should be a noticeable upgrade but not an absolutely massive upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think it would be a fairly major upgrade from what I know...but maybe @shadyJ can expand on how the DT sub might be in the ball park with it's 8" driver and usually somewhat deceptive specs....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Huge upgrade, and way better bang for the buck. I love Def Tech but the subs are way over priced for what you get. SVS is a sub first company. I have the PB1000 and it's better than any DT sub I ever had.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd think it would be a fairly major upgrade from what I know...but maybe @shadyJ can expand on how the DT sub might be in the ball park with it's 8" driver and usually somewhat deceptive specs....
The Deftech sub uses a passive radiator which will give it an SPL boost around maybe 30 Hz or so, and above 40 Hz that 8" might not be awful. It's possible that the Deftech sub could be within a few dB of maximum loudness versus the SB-2000 down to the PR tuning frequency. I would expect the SB-2000 to outperform it regarding aspects like linearity and distortion, etc., and it should be a much higher fidelity sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. This would be a good upgrade. The SB2k is a very linear, controlled subwoofer. I have direct experience with it and it is very nice. For my use case in that space I’d opt for the PB/PC.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes that would be noticeable.

Another sub I would look at in that price range is the HSU VTF2 mk5 but it’s a larger cabinet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis