Adjusted for WHOLE ROOM music (not movie)

L

Leveldown

Audiophyte
Forget the 75db reference settings. Let's work with what we have to get what we want.
Room: 15'x22' w/cathedral ceiling 11' t0 16' H (22'L) ttl. room vol. 4,800 sq.ft. (flr. carpeted)
NO going for sweat spot. Looking for great sound through-out room. 2ch, or DSP 2.1 or 5ch STEREO.
Dolby PL 2 music surround sounds pretty good, BUT...
SYSTEM: Onkyo TX SR353 5.1
Spkrs.: Pioneer SLF3 F & CR (ttl.spkrs.=10) Sub: Yamaha YST SW 012
Set-up: L & R elev. 6', 10' apart, 3spkrs each side, standing vertical & arranged slightly articulated
Center: 2spkrs elev. 6' RR & LR: 1spkr each side, elev. 7', 12' from front at 90 degrees.
Sub-woofer: 3" off floor, 2' from back & 3' (ported side) from side wall. VOLUME set (0-10) 7
Run Auto Set-up with MIC to establish parameters CENTERED at 5' elev. 12' from front. Switch to MANUAL Set-up to tweak.

Final Settings for MUSIC: Speaker Levels: L -6 C -12 R -6 rr -8 lr -10 Sub -3.
With ALL Channel Stereo rear volumes adjusted DOWN to keep sound stage in front yet bring sound 'out' into room. Warmer sound with center OFF. Master BASS +10, TREBLE +2, volume can be any level you wish. LOUD & CLEAR! You can be within 4' of woofer and not 'SEE" it. Having levels low and volume up is harmonic bliss when done right.

FYI: try this setting with itunes: open EQ, adjust pre-amp down to about a 1/4 or less. Adjust graphics to FLAT. Adjust 150db bar to bottom or almost bottom. Plug in your Bud's or Can's and get ready. WoW! even inexpensive bud's can sound pretty darn good.

Play with this. Experiment. Adjust your pre amp and pre levels down while maintaining harmonic presence and turn up main volume. It takes some getting used to. your listening level may go from 30 to 45 to achieve same volume but clarity will amaze you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are using three different speakers combined for each the left and right channels? The center I can't quite decipher but that you're using a pair of speakers? Why the multiple speakers per channel? Why would you want to use all ch stereo at all instead of multich surround modes? Your Onkyo has their own AccuEQ REQ software? What if you use something else? That's a lot of bass boost, too (assuming you're using the bass/treble controls instead of the graphic eq).

L

Leveldown

Audiophyte
I've always been a fan of multi-speaker set-ups. In another life I had (for 30yrs) a Marantz Model 19 with a pair of Large Advents on each side. Don't think I ever had it past half volume. Afraid neighbors two blocks away might complain. That system took a lot of space. One day I decided I wanted to have BIG sound but have the system disappear into the room. These Pioneers fit the bill. The sound from 3 is greater than 1. The 2 at center, well, that was to compensate for the 6 up front. The Sub. Believe it or not, at these settings, No Boom, no distortion. Plenty of UMPH! The challenge was to get this little sub woofer to be seamless with all these speakers and fill this 4800 cubic foot space. It worked! Music presence is awesome. Surround sound is really good, but for MUSIC I like the sound of 2.1 and when alls adjusted, 5ch all stereo with center off. You would'nt know the surround mode was off. By the way, I sold the 19 but still have the Advents out in garage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've always been a fan of multi-speaker set-ups. In another life I had (for 30yrs) a Marantz Model 19 with a pair of Large Advents on each side. Don't think I ever had it past half volume. Afraid neighbors two blocks away might complain. That system took a lot of space. One day I decided I wanted to have BIG sound but have the system disappear into the room. These Pioneers fit the bill. The sound from 3 is greater than 1. The 2 at center, well, that was to compensate for the 6 up front. The Sub. Believe it or not, at these settings, No Boom, no distortion. Plenty of UMPH! The challenge was to get this little sub woofer to be seamless with all these speakers and fill this 4800 cubic foot space. It worked! Music presence is awesome. Surround sound is really good, but for MUSIC I like the sound of 2.1 and when alls adjusted, 5ch all stereo with center off. You would'nt know the surround mode was off. By the way, I sold the 19 but still have the Advents out in garage.
Never found it an advantage. Then there's comb filtering effects, acoustical interference....and just how are you wiring such to your amp?

I had the Original Advents back in the 70s. They'd blow the tweets with too much power, tho and were not spl monsters particularly. Nice speakers, tho.

I'm glad you enjoy your setup, but won't be following your lead, thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
People post stuff like this every once in a while, but we all know that channels are intended to be a single speaker, but if you like it, then I wouldn't worry about it, but you probably won't convince us to try it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
People post stuff like this every once in a while, but we all know that channels are intended to be a single speaker, but if you like it, then I wouldn't worry about it, but you probably won't convince us to try it.
It's certainly popular particularly on groups/fora catering to older gear....kind of mystifies me.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's certainly popular particularly on groups/fora catering to older gear....kind of mystifies me.
I noticed that too. That wasn't ever a standard was it? Two speakers per channel?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis