Might try Audioengine for new computer speakers...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I repurposed my older Logitech kit but need something on my computer as the built in speakers are... lame? :)

My searches keep me coming back to Audioengine powered speakers... either A2+ or A5+. Don't need to compete with my actual setup, just want better sound for my computer needs, thus am really leaning more towards the refurbished A2+ for $199.

Anybody have any experience good or bad? Advice, please? Is there something better for less that I am not catching on to? @Irvrobinson , I think I saw that you use the A5+ on an old post, would you mind chiming in please with your thoughts? (Thank you!!!)

:)

Cheers!

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I tried the same set in Red a few months ago. Either mine were defective or they just plain sounded bad. I returned them and ended up with some JBL 305P MkII's and the JBL LSR 310S. Love it now.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey brother! Hope this finds you all well.

Fwiw, I do t have any direct experience with them but have only read favorable ink in regards to them. I also think there’s not one single itty bitty chance they won’t be better in every way to the ol Logitech.
Edit: also as above, the JBL 305 monitor has also gotten serious love.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Edifier makes some decent powers speakers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I still use my six year-old pair of A5+, and I'm still happy with them. For desktop use they're great, especially when paired with the SVS SB-1000. For five years that system, along with my 27" iMac, was also my HT system for my work apartment. An OmniMic made matching the sub and the satellites a 20 minute operation.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I still use my six year-old pair of A5+, and I'm still happy with them. For desktop use they're great, especially when paired with the SVS SB-1000. For five years that system, along with my 27" iMac, was also my HT system for my work apartment. An OmniMic made matching the sub and the satellites a 20 minute operation.
Just to clarify here, an OmniMic is essentially the same as REW w/microphone that you already have. The OmniMic is generally considered a bit more user friendly, but you have already incurred the mainstream aspects of the learning curve for REW, so you're good with what you have for tuning!
Irv, correct me if you are thinking different!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Just to clarify here, an OmniMic is essentially the same as REW w/microphone that you already have. The OmniMic is generally considered a bit more user friendly, but you have already incurred the mainstream aspects of the learning curve for REW, so you're good with what you have for tuning!
Irv, correct me if you are thinking different!
I didn't know Ryan already had a REW set-up. It is for this purpose the functional equal of OmniMic.

B

bingotem

Audiophyte
I've had a pair of A5+ and an S8 sub in my office for more than 5 years now. I'm quite happy with them, not plans to change. You certainly need a sub with these speakers, probably even more so with the A2+.
Only slight complaint is that the A5+ is a little large for a computer speaker setup, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Having looked at a bunch of other options, the points that Audioengine checks off are pretty comprehensive.
I want to replace a "passable" 2.1 system with something better. So the Logitech and Klipsch "THX" options aren't going to be an improvement. Edifier leads strong, but comes up week... too many questions about the 2.1 systems they don't answer without downloading the manuals (Frequency Response, for example), and less-desired connectivity with the 2.0 options (spring clips and no subwoofer out, no desire for bluetooth). Other Studio Monitors (JBL, KRK, etc) get pricey and again get into the realm of connectivity issues: I would prefer not having to Split-and-Adapt my way to getting signal to them and a sub.

My thought, since this is not a Critical Listening rig, is to do the A2+ and a Dayton Sub1200: $340 total. That's ~2x the cost of the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, and probably 4x the quality. Yes, the A5+ will be much better still in audio quality by all accounts... I think the added cost is not worth the investment (considering my needs), and the size will only complicate my set-up..

Of course, if cost was no object, I get the Salk PowerPlay Monitors! :)

Regardless, Still open to further recommendations and ideas!!!

Many thanks, again, to all!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey brother! Hope this finds you all well.

Fwiw, I do t have any direct experience with them but have only read favorable ink in regards to them. I also think there’s not one single itty bitty chance they won’t be better in every way to the ol Logitech.
Edit: also as above, the JBL 305 monitor has also gotten serious love.
Hey-Hey, buddy! Doin' the best a tired 'saur can on this wacky rock we call home! ;) Hope you are well too!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’d pass on the A2. I helped my nephew set up a pair of those with a sub a few years ago, and the measurements I took showed that the lows roll out really high, something like 200 Hz, if not higher (don’t recall the exact figure). The sub we had wouldn’t even go up that high for a proper blend. IMO the A5 is what you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Balanced input only is a pain with a Mac. Less so with a Windows desktop. Annoying with any new laptop.
This. I am a Mac baby. And beyond that, I have never (until very recently in the grand scheme) pursued audio connectivity beyond the 1/8" jack. (That is to say, since I was using Midi to USB on my oldest Mac from my Music School days back in... like... '93/'94?)
Anywho... I am on a 2013 series of iMac right now. Just old enough, as I understand, for there to be some issues with Thunderbolt-to-HDMI, which also seems(?) to be complicating my REW process. Of course, I freely admit, I could just be stupid about this whole thing and am in need of guidance. *blushes

That aside...
If I were to consider JBL, or any Monitor lacking a stereo mini input, then I would need to split Stereo Mini to Left/Right audio; split those again, and adapt one L/R set for RCA Male to go to a Sub, and adapt the other set to 1/4" mono TSR(?) and send one each to the appropriate speaker.
That amount of connective kerfuffle seems silly and counterproductive to the goal of decent audio.

AE are decent speakers, but not getting JBL LSR305 1st gen, at very frequent $89/each sale would be simply silly.
Other than the fore mentioned connectivity test... what separates the LSR305 from the newer 2nd generation, other than the $20 retail cost, and probably less frequent sale (if any at all)?

I’d pass on the A2. I helped my nephew set up a pair of those with a sub a few years ago, and the measurements I took showed that the lows roll out really high, something like 200 Hz, if not higher (don’t recall the exact figure). The sub we had wouldn’t even go up that high for a proper blend. IMO the A5 is what you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Hi Wayne. Thanks for chiming in: I appreciate your input here. Other than the A5+, do you have any thoughts on a worthy and significant-though-cost-effective step-up beyond the Logitech z623/Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 "THX" systems?
~~~~~~~~~
In general, I can get a refurbished A5+ from AE for $375... though with the sub it will put me well over budget for what I wanted to attain/spend, though as I stated above, I recognize the SQ will be a significant improvement. Again, this is not a critical listening situation. My computer is in the same room with my 3's and BMRs. ;)
Comparatively, If $375 is the direction I go, that put s the KRK Rokit 5 G4 into play... which seems to review highly too, moreso than the JBLs do.

*sighs

How many times have we all been here, gentlemen? :D Please help me spend... not all... my money. Ha! :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is a tsr port? Photo shows two balanced inputs, one phone plug and one XLR.
Ah. 1/4 inch phone connector. it plugs in to the middle of the XLR jack, I think, judging by the photo I just looked at. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I were to consider JBL, or any Monitor lacking a stereo mini input, then I would need to split Stereo Mini to Left/Right audio; split those again, and adapt one L/R set for RCA Male to go to a Sub, and adapt the other set to 1/4" mono TSR(?) and send one each to the appropriate speaker.
That amount of connective kerfuffle seems silly and counterproductive to the goal of decent audio.
See a single cable linked by me above. If you can't handle a single cable, maybe you should reevaluate your hobby choices ;-)

Other than the fore mentioned connectivity test... what separates the LSR305 from the newer 2nd generation, other than the $20 retail cost, and probably less frequent sale (if any at all)?
Changes are minimal. Mostly to boost sales and show that the company produced a "new" product.
https://produceralternatives.com/comparison/jbl-lsr305-vs-305p-mkii/
https://www.reddit.com/r/proaudio/comments/7tmf4j
On the subject of hissing, I personally never had it using AE D1 with shielded cables with my LSR2325p.
I also replaced AE D1 for Behringer UMC404HD for few neat functions and it fully supports balanced connections.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis