Amazon offers lossless and high bit rate streaming

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SR6011 does not have HEOS, but the 6012 and newer do... fook. Well, @ryanosaur might be happy about that. He can stream it directly through HEOS on his SR6013.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Edit: For the logos to show up on my iPhone for Ultra HD, I had to delete the app and reinstall it.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The Amazon Prime app on Xbox/S/X has had audio sync problems that haven’t been fixed since 2016, I wouldn’t place much stock in Amazon having any high quality streaming audio.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Amazon Prime app on Xbox/S/X has had audio sync problems that haven’t been fixed since 2016, I wouldn’t place much stock in Amazon having any high quality streaming audio.
Last night I direct a/b compared my mp3 copy (320 kbps) of Fear Inoculum using Foobar to the Prime Ultra HD version and the mp3 sounds better on Foobar. I smell a rat...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Last night I direct a/b compared my mp3 copy (320 kbps) of Fear Inoculum using Foobar to the Prime Ultra HD version and the mp3 sounds better on Foobar. I smell a rat...
I would be interested in your opinion of the Amazon service and something you already know and trust. A nice a/b nonscientific compare.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I listened quite a bit last night, and unfortunately, there were a number of split second audio drop outs, which ruin the flow of the music. Not sure if the problem is in my laptop or the Amazon service. I have 1 GB internet service, so that should not be the problem.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would be interested in your opinion of the Amazon service and something you already know and trust. A nice a/b nonscientific compare.
Very non scientific, lol. Just quick n dirty. I had Amazon Music and Foobar2000 open and playing the same song at the same time code. I let one play for a few seconds, then pause it and hit play on the other and listen to the exact same section of music. If anything I would have expected the "superior" Amazon source to sound better (if there was any difference at all). The sources were not level matched and everything was controlled by me so flawed for sure.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I also just signed up, already had Amazon Unlimited, so it's only $5 more per month(three months free). Need to figure out best way to play it from my laptop to my AV system.
Probably bluetooth

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Very non scientific, lol. Just quick n dirty. I had Amazon Music and Foobar2000 open and playing the same song at the same time code. I let one play for a few seconds, then pause it and hit play on the other and listen to the exact same section of music. If anything I would have expected the "superior" Amazon source to sound better (if there was any difference at all). The sources were not level matched and everything was controlled by me so flawed for sure.
What was the Foobar source ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What was the Foobar source ?
CD rip (FLAC) and the mp3 download of the same CD. I used Foobar to do the ripping. Both Amazon and Foobar were played from the same laptop in 2 different windows.

*Edit: It just occurred to me that it wouldn't be difficult to level match with a SPL meter. Both apps have their own volume control. I have both at 100% right now.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well, I tried Bluetooth, but it will apparently only give you CD quality that way. Once I disconnected Bluetooth, it would play 24 bit again.
CD quality is fine. No one is getting 24bit sonic quality anyway, can't hear it. However their quality should be on par with CD, FLAC, APPLL, etc.
I still have test to see I can get it via my Firestick.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
CD rip (FLAC) and the mp3 download of the same CD. I used Foobar to do the ripping. Both Amazon and Foobar were played from the same laptop in 2 different windows.

*Edit: It just occurred to me that it wouldn't be difficult to level match with a SPL meter. Both apps have their own volume control. I have both at 100% right now.
Quite honestly, even if you were to do a controlled, level matching test, I wouldn't expect your results to be much different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Quite honestly, even if you were to do a controlled, level matching test, I wouldn't expect your results to be much different.
I wouldn't expect to hear a difference at all, but I do. Like I said tho, wasn't a very well controlled situation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about level matching?
I mentioned a couple posts up that I didn't level match, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do so. I might even be able to BT it with my wife controlling what's playing when.

*Edit: I'm getting a higher bit rate using Amazon Music app on my laptop. Regular cd quality on my FireTV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mentioned a couple posts up that I didn't level match, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do so. I might even be able to BT it with my wife controlling what's playing when.

*Edit: I'm getting a higher bit rate using Amazon Music app on my laptop. Regular cd quality on my FireTV.
I'd think BT would just confuse the situation. Just curious if the difference is as obvious as when level matched....

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
CD quality is fine. No one is getting 24bit sonic quality anyway, can't hear it. However their quality should be on par with CD, FLAC, APPLL, etc.
I still have test to see I can get it via my Firestick.
Well, I'm used to listening to SACDs, DVD-Audio, and they do sound better to me, more organic and natural, than CD quality. So, I'm going to give it a try.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis