Polk Legend Series Speakers Bring Back SDA Technology

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You should seemingly be able to sub in the smaller tower design for center. :)
Ehhhhhh! It's 3 identical towers or bust for me I know that's sounding stupid but that's just how I like it. Whelp scratch these off the upgrade list. My primary focus is just to finish building the dang room this year get a lottoff components I need. And use the speakers I have for now. I'll upgrade to an endgame move on speakers in 2 to 3 years I'm spending enough already :eek: I'm still going to be excited to hear Genes review on these though

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It doesn't look like you can use them as a trio. That design doesn't work as a center channel speaker.
Shady you just broke my heart! Lol but in a money saving kind off way so I appreciate ya my friend!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ehhhhhh! It's 3 identical towers or bust for me I know that's sounding stupid but that's just how I like it. Whelp scratch these off the upgrade list. My primary focus is just to finish building the dang room this year get a lottoff components I need. And use the speakers I have for now. I'll upgrade to an endgame move on speakers in 2 to 3 years I'm spending enough already :eek: I'm still going to be excited to hear Genes review on these though
sort of like preferring 3-ways, huh! :p :cool:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
sort of like preferring 3-ways, huh! :p:cool:
You got me!!! I'm guilty as charged!!! :D

And like preferring big beautiful subs with lots and lots of ports!!! Oh crap! I almost relapsed!!! I need to call my therapist!!! :eek:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had a pair of non SDA Polk 7bs back in the early 80s. Boy those things sure could do voices right. Thanks Gene!

L

lanion

Audiophyte
I would believe you are correct. The whole point of the speakers is to cancel out the right channel wave going into your left ear and vice versa IIRC.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This is what headphones do better than SDA ever could. But, stereo mixes include standard feedback unless it is a headphone specific mix... the whole SDA thing seems like a gimmick, but one that could sound great, so... I'm not even mad about it, really.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
This is what headphones do better than SDA ever could. But, stereo mixes include standard feedback unless it is a headphone specific mix... the whole SDA thing seems like a gimmick, but one that could sound great, so... I'm not even mad about it, really.
Well I'm gonna find out soon how SDA sounds. I can't afford 6k on these new L800 but I see a pair of SDA-2B from 1987-89 on Facebook for $50 I'll probably pick them up after I hear them and make sure everything is in working order.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Well I'm gonna find out soon how SDA sounds. I can't afford 6k on these new L800 but I see a pair of SDA-2B from 1987-89 on Facebook for $50 I'll probably pick them up after I hear them and make sure everything is in working order.

Wow - that's quite a find.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It doesn't look like you can use them as a trio. That design doesn't work as a center channel speaker.
I've been thinking Shady even if you disconnect the cable between the 2 speakers? Basically they are just regular speakers then right? Then you still couldn't use them as 3 speakers up front? I can't imagine they would build a flagship tower that can only be used for 2 channel listening. Not for that price hopefully they'd sound good as just regular ol speakers as well.

I'm just curious is all on your guys take on this.

I've still Not given up on them yet! :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've been thinking Shady even if you disconnect the cable between the 2 speakers? Basically they are just regular speakers then right? Then you still couldn't use them as 3 speakers up front? I can't imagine they would build a flagship tower that can only be used for 2 channel listening. Not for that price hopefully they'd sound good as just regular ol speakers as well.

I'm just curious is all on your guys take on this.

I've still Not given up on them yet! :D
I don't know that would work. The thing is, if you do only connect one channel of signal, this speaker loses its advantage. No point in getting this speaker if that is the case. But there is no reason why you could only use this speaker in a stereo pair- you just would have to use a different speaker in the center channel. The center in this series looks like it could be good, so why not use that one.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know that would work. The thing is, if you do only connect one channel of signal, this speaker loses its advantage. No point in getting this speaker if that is the case. But there is no reason why you could only use this speaker in a stereo pair- you just would have to use a different speaker in the center channel. The center in this series looks like it could be good, so why not use that one.
Siiiiiigggghhhhh okaaaaayyyy :rolleyes:. Gotta wait for some real reviews any way. It's just it looks so frickin cool man can you just imagine 3 of those mamba jambas as your front 3!!!!!!! EPIC!!!! :p:p:p:p

I still don't understand why you build a 3000 dollar flagship that can only be used a certain way! Bummer bro! :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Or the Tower next down the line! :)

Or forget Polk. :eek: Those Studio 6 speakers look like they might be great. Or a 5-channel system with the JTR Noesis210RTs! :cool:

Anyway, Danzilla, my instinct tells me Shady is spot on. I'm certain you could go in and connect the drivers in-phase and override their SDA system... but then as he said... "no point getting that speaker...."

I'm intrigued to know how flexible it is, in terms of room placement and acoustical phenomena. It could be a very clever technological advancement if it works for everyone in the room. But if the sweet spot is limited, and the effect of comb filtering or unwanted cancellations becomes prominant elsewhere in the room, then again... no point. I'm further intrigued to know if there is any additional XO work they did to assist in cancelling out the crossing signals, or if its just in the angled baffle for those drivers plus phase.

Regardless, there's a lot of good speakers at $3k each! :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Siiiiiigggghhhhh okaaaaayyyy :rolleyes:. Gotta wait for some real reviews any way. It's just it looks so frickin cool man can you just imagine 3 of those mamba jambas as your front 3!!!!!!! EPIC!!!! :p:p:p:p

I still don't understand why you build a 3000 dollar flagship that can only be used a certain way! Bummer bro! :D
Well have you taking a look at RBH speakers? With their module speakers? Lots of speaker manufacturers, do design a speaker to be used a certain way. Take tower speakers with a Sub that's mounted on the side of the cabinet. There a L/R specific also placement critical. Untill Gene or someone can run those through the mill, but with Polks passed history of cutting corners with their flagship line, no one really knows till Gene or any others can get ahold of a pair. Polk has a history of being top-end bright or distortion at higher volumes with their entry level Monitors.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The old SDAs were some of the best Polks ever built. Glad to see them bring it back.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to respond to an older thread but didn't the original DCM Time Windows attempt this with multiple speakers facing outward? Also no signal processing was involved. Thanks for jogging my memory and I did have the Time Windows as well as some non SDA Polk Model 7Bs back in the 80s.

D

dcrandon

Enthusiast
for all those who don't remember, Interaural Crosstalk was first talked about by Bob Carver with his Sonic Hologram Generator. It was absolutely astounding what it could do, if your head was in a 1sqft area. Polk came out with the SDA series in 1982, which was almost as effective, but didn't have the tiny sweetspot. Bob Carver's current speakers employ similar tech.

Audioluvr!

Audioluvr!

Enthusiast
Oh No! Not this again.

That whole series from Polk was really awful. I would not get too excited. Sorry I forgot the picture. Now added! For some odd reason the picture keeps disappearing. Never had this happen before.
You seem like a "Glass Half Empty kind of guy". Some people like to bring more attention to themselves then the questions at hand. Save us the misery of your pointless opinions unless you have something meaningful to post.

As for the pic of the SDA 2.3TL's you posted. Those, if driven properly are excellent sounding speakers.

R.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis