Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never heard of James Loudspeaker company before and I found 4 of these S33 speakers for $400, so $100 apiece. Is this a find worth jumping on? The company seems to be associated with pricey speakers and these look in decent shape.

00k0k_9qZhepgZCP_300x300.jpg

00303_iFA5tNlqqpc_600x450.jpg

00s0s_2Wl7YJVOXfu_600x450.jpg

*Edit: I updated the title of this thread to reflect what I intend to do with it.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also found these Cube63 speakers made by the same company. $500 for the pair.

01616_eJLgkiDDusv_600x450.jpg

00X0X_bvnXJbmjMcf_600x450.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't bother with them unless the performance is verified somewhere. Just because something is pricey does not mean its good, and this is even more true in the audio world.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I have a bud who’s a dealer of them. He likes them, but for the other speakers they offer. I’m not sure he likes using their box speakers over other choices like Revel or Klipsch or Kef.

Their architectural stuff is legit, take a look at their page. They got stuff for just about every job and unique stuff you don’t see elsewhere. A huge selling point is their use of aircraft grade aluminum, very nice stuff, will not degrade over time. They also do custom paint jobs per the job required.

I like their vacuum looking in ceiling/in wall/in floor subs.

But value is in the eye of the beholder, have a listen, you’ll know if they’re worth the $100 :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've read nice things about James but no real experience let alone whether what I've read relates to the models you've found.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would buy the S33 and if you do not like them, then sell them, James has gotten some good reviews

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Most likely I'd turn around and sell them. I guess I was hoping it would be one of those esoteric treasures you always hear about people stumbling across. I've been digging through Craigslist just looking at stuff, inspired by gene's thread asking for pics of bargains found on speakers. I started thinking, "well, I'll never find one if I never look"... lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They are a little bit beat up.

00C0C_5eaRgjVmEs6_600x450.jpg

00j0j_1zjlkcv5kRx_600x450.jpg

00101_nkAfg1dz3j_600x450.jpg

And I just now noticed only one of them is bi amp-able. Shouldn't they all be?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks to be a different speaker.

You can see based on the grills and tweeter that it’s definitely different, it’s even slightly bigger.
It does look like a different speaker. I just sent an inquiry to the seller.

"Hi, I'm contacting you about the RBH C-770s you have on Craigslist? I noticed one of the 3 have 2 sets of binding posts and the other 2 only have one, suggesting different speakers. I might be interested, but am curious about that. It almost looks like a different speaker."

Sent him a text. Let's see what he says.

*Edit: I changed the thread title to better reflect my intentions here. I'll probably be bumping it fairly often.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
It does look like a different speaker. I just sent an inquiry to the seller.

"Hi, I'm contacting you about the RBH C-770s you have on Craigslist? I noticed one of the 3 have 2 sets of binding posts and the other 2 only have one, suggesting different speakers. I might be interested, but am curious about that. It almost looks like a different speaker."

Sent him a text. Let's see what he says.
Hehe I’m excited :D

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Man now you got me searching Craigslist. I’m wanting something a little fun for myself. I have Ascend CMT340’s which are great but I think a cool little tower speaker from RBH or other would be cool to have.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man now you got me searching Craigslist. I’m wanting something a little fun for myself. I have Ascend CMT340’s which are great but I think a cool little tower speaker from RBH or other would be cool to have.
I have no need for speakers either, lol. I love them tho and if I can stumble across something better than what I have I'd be tickled. If not then try and turn a buck. If I can make a couple dollars and get to audition a bunch of speakers at the same time I think it might be fun.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I have no need for speakers either, lol. I love them tho and if I can stumble across something better than what I have I'd be tickled. If not then try and turn a buck. If I can make a couple dollars and get to audition a bunch of speakers at the same time I think it might be fun.
Exactly my thoughts :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I searched Ebay and found me a nice clean set of speakers ..... part of the hobby thing .... I have now lost count on how many speakers I have owned

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Um, Phase Technology 7T floor speakers. One with a blown tweeter and woofer damage, the other in working condition... $15!

00f0f_5gN7gUZFxMW_300x300.jpg

00k0k_3i3dODZ68y6_600x450.jpg

00X0X_lkp5m2RoO2W_600x450.jpg

00P0P_iPRvDoM5DiE_600x450.jpg

00L0L_kmL16W7YSDQ_600x450.jpg

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
That seems like a very easy fix, phase tech has great customer service. If not, $15 for a tweeter and woofer and two cabinets!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis