lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I fantasized for a while about the RMC1. ;) It has 16 XLR jacks with assignable options. Thus, you can choose between how many subs vs other speakers you employ. But for the extra subs, you sacrifice a pair (at least) of other speakers.
I know I've read some odd things about Emotiva bass management in the past, so that wouldn't really surprise me. Maybe it can still handle multiple subs with 15 other channels but is limited in processing the lfe channel/bass management as one sub (for one delay/level setting). I've always been leery of Emotiva with their track record on timely releases/bugs etc in their processors. Way more than I'll be using for some time to come, don't even use all 11 my Denon can do.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Totally agree with the points I think I know about. :p Absolutely have heard a few too many negative things about Emo's track record on the RMC1... hasn't even been a year yet?
Regardless... Love the chat so far. Wanted to that email blast out there in case any people with actual experience might chime in. Perhaps hopeful. *shrugs

I'm still not up to my full 11 channels yet, either... nor am I looking for an immediate upgrade.

But if this style of AVP could be affordable and perfectly functional... I might bite in the future. But even the Monolith is a little too much right now, and I haven't seen enough from Emo to pull my ducats in their direction!

My upgrade path is maybe another year if the right combination of product and need and cash flow come together! :D *fingers crossed

Actually better to say that my upgrade path will be determined by need against available products on a want vs cost basis... and hoping they line up. *good F’n luck

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is Dirac doing something with that 3rd sub output or is that just so the marketing folks can add a number in there?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only time for a quick glance at it right now. Hopefully I’ll get to check it out a little more in depth tomorrow. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The bass management section (p.18):

The XMC-2 has three outputs designated for connecting subwoofers. These can be configured in a number of ways, depending on the number of subwoofers you have, the number of height speakers you have, and your bass management preferences.

The Center Sub output may be configured as either LFE, Mono, or None. The Left/Right Subs may be configured as either Mono, Dual Mono, Height Speakers, or None.

If the Center Sub is configured as LFE, then all Low Frequency Effects (LFE) content from surround sound sources will be routed directly to the Center Sub, LFE content will NOT be routed to the other subs, and no content will be routed to the Center Sub by the bass management system.

The Dolby Atmos consumer standard only specifies a single subwoofer channel. This channel contains the sum of any content that originates in the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel of surround sound material, and any low frequency content that is routed to the subs by the bass management system. This channel is then distributed to however many subwoofers you have configured. (Each subwoofer may be calibrated and adjusted separately, but they all receive the same content, in what would be considered “mono”, “dual mono”, or “triple mono”.)

However, because some users prefer to use different subwoofers for music and for movies, we have included an extra option that provides significantly more flexibility.

If you connect any combination of one, two, or three subwoofers to the appropriate outputs, and configure those outputs as Mono or Dual Mono, all of your subs will be treated equally, and will be used for both LFE content and content directed to your sub by the bass management system.

However, by connecting one subwoofer to the Center Sub output, and then configuring that output as LFE, you may instruct the XMC-2 to use that subwoofer exclusively for LFE content. That sub, in effect, becomes your “low frequency effects speaker” for movies. All LFE content is routed only to that sub, and any low frequency content that is redirected from any other channels by the bass management system is routed to your OTHER sub or subs.

Note: If you plan to connect two subs to the Left Sub and Right Sub outputs, then you must configure the Left/Right Subs outputs as Dual Mono. If you plan to connect only a single sub to those outputs, then you MUST connect it to the Left Sub output, and you must configure the Left/Right Subs as Mono. When Left/Right Subs is set to Mono ONLY the Left Sub output is active. (This setting is independent from the configuration of the Center Sub output.)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The bass management section (p.18):

The XMC-2 has three outputs designated for connecting subwoofers. These can be configured in a number of ways, depending on the number of subwoofers you have, the number of height speakers you have, and your bass management preferences.

The Center Sub output may be configured as either LFE, Mono, or None. The Left/Right Subs may be configured as either Mono, Dual Mono, Height Speakers, or None.

If the Center Sub is configured as LFE, then all Low Frequency Effects (LFE) content from surround sound sources will be routed directly to the Center Sub, LFE content will NOT be routed to the other subs, and no content will be routed to the Center Sub by the bass management system.

The Dolby Atmos consumer standard only specifies a single subwoofer channel. This channel contains the sum of any content that originates in the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel of surround sound material, and any low frequency content that is routed to the subs by the bass management system. This channel is then distributed to however many subwoofers you have configured. (Each subwoofer may be calibrated and adjusted separately, but they all receive the same content, in what would be considered “mono”, “dual mono”, or “triple mono”.)

However, because some users prefer to use different subwoofers for music and for movies, we have included an extra option that provides significantly more flexibility.

If you connect any combination of one, two, or three subwoofers to the appropriate outputs, and configure those outputs as Mono or Dual Mono, all of your subs will be treated equally, and will be used for both LFE content and content directed to your sub by the bass management system.

However, by connecting one subwoofer to the Center Sub output, and then configuring that output as LFE, you may instruct the XMC-2 to use that subwoofer exclusively for LFE content. That sub, in effect, becomes your “low frequency effects speaker” for movies. All LFE content is routed only to that sub, and any low frequency content that is redirected from any other channels by the bass management system is routed to your OTHER sub or subs.

Note: If you plan to connect two subs to the Left Sub and Right Sub outputs, then you must configure the Left/Right Subs outputs as Dual Mono. If you plan to connect only a single sub to those outputs, then you MUST connect it to the Left Sub output, and you must configure the Left/Right Subs as Mono. When Left/Right Subs is set to Mono ONLY the Left Sub output is active. (This setting is independent from the configuration of the Center Sub output.)
Having a different sub for movies (LFE) than for music doesn’t make sense to me but sounds like they have customers who want that flexibility.

I wonder what @shadyJ thinks about this.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Having a different sub for movies (LFE) than for music doesn’t make sense to me but sounds like they have customers who want that flexibility.

I wonder what @shadyJ thinks about this.
I think it's dumb for just a huge list of reasons.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
ADTG, how long has Bob Carver been out of business? His amps are still serviceable! :D;)
Okay, Andrew, I did what you asked me to. Like I said in my text yesterday to you. You gonna get me put in lock down for a week or more. Just last night I was asking about, where the hell did Marantz hide the power trans umm... transistors, :p in that "tunnel" of power rail. and PENG and Loveinthehd, ;) came close to giving me the boot in the butt . So please don't send me to do anymore dirty work.;). I'll still buy gear with you, I don't need to price cuts that bad;):p

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Lovin’! ;)
Read that the other morning too. (Been stupid busy, here).
Gonna read the rmc-1 manual, too, just for comparisons sake.
Seems like this is an interesting year (now throughnext summer) for AVR and AVP tech... with Sound United making some moves, ATI/monolith... don’t know their refresh schedule, but seems like Anthem is going to have to do so soon(?). Add to that the official release of the Dirac Bass Management.
;)
I’m looking forward to see what this all brings. Not eager to spend money on new electronics, but I know I want something just a little different than what I have, and what’s available. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Lovin’! ;)
Read that the other morning too. (Been stupid busy, here).
Gonna read the rmc-1 manual, too, just for comparisons sake.
Seems like this is an interesting year (now throughnext summer) for AVR and AVP tech... with Sound United making some moves, ATI/monolith... don’t know their refresh schedule, but seems like Anthem is going to have to do so soon(?). Add to that the official release of the Dirac Bass Management.
;)
I’m looking forward to see what this all brings. Not eager to spend money on new electronics, but I know I want something just a little different than what I have, and what’s available. ;)
I didn't dig too far, was just curious what was up with the channel assignment/bass management thing. They have some odd ideas at Emotiva IMO. I am interested in the Dirac thing, tho.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Makes sense, you can't be in ever zone at the same time! Guess if you have a bunch of people all over than maybe I could see 16 channels working out. But than again, with one source? or will that unit let you play different sources in all the locations?:D
Typically from what I’ve seen, when a “Zone 2” output is labeled you can play 2 separate sources at the same time.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Well there you go! 13 channels plus 3 for subs, wait a minute, 3 mono sub outs? Are all stereo, or just 3 mono? 4 would have been better, than you could've just use 4 Y splitters sub cables than you have 8 sub outs! Man that's an impressive pre pro! o_O How much? 3K?:oops: Emotiva has done it again!:eek: What kind of warranty? More than 5 years I hope. :D
If you look at the back, there is a Center Sub and L/R sub outputs that can be reassigned as two additional height channels. Is that correct?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dirac has not been "cut" from the XMC-2, RMC-1, nor RMC-1L.
It has been promised in a firmware update.
According to Emotiva, there have been delays from Dirac due to code unification and support for the new Griffin Lite chipset. This has been confirmed by Dirac.

The XMC-1 was initially delivered without Dirac and updated to include it after release.
It is fair and reasonable to buy a product for the current features versus promised features.

- Rich

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dirac has not been "cut" from the XMC-2, RMC-1, nor RMC-1L.
It has been promised in a firmware update.
According to Emotiva, there have been delays from Dirac due to code unification and support for the new Griffin Lite chipset. This has been confirmed by Dirac.

The XMC-1 was initially delivered without Dirac and updated to include it after release.
It is fair and reasonable to buy a product for the current features versus promised features.

- Rich
Altho with Emotiva the timeline for features you may need a lot of patience with....

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
I had the XMC-1 for about a year and a half before the lighting strike fried it. During the time I owned it I only experienced one small handshaking glitch that they corrected via firmware so everything on that end worked out. I did not buy it straight out of the gate though as i remember all the issues they had with the UMC. All in all they seem to diligently work through the issues but you have to be patient. The DIRAC version was also the lite version and you could pay $100 for the full version but it only works with your XMC and the computer it's installed on. You couldn't transfer it to a new laptop etc without buying a new license.

Here's what I don't like and this isn't a slam against them, just my opinion that maybe they might consider constructive criticism. When I called them to ask for support after the damage and see if they could look at the equipment and give me an evaluation, they flat out said no. They wouldn't even recommend a repair shop or private testing, basically throw it in the dumpster. PreAmp, AMPS, everything. Now I get it, they don't want the liability and at the time my insurance company was wanting inspections and reports so I was trying to do my due diligence. I found a local facility to inspect it and repair for $50/hr plus parts. They called me the next day, finding it was a $5 voltage rectifier that smoked( this is after I bought a new preAmp). The XMC seems fine now, but they still won't run any tests for me on the input/outputs.

Off the rant now, bottom line is the XMC-1 worked flawless for me but you have to be patient and let them work the bugs out. This time next year, it's probably good to buy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had the XMC-1 for about a year and a half before the lighting strike fried it. During the time I owned it I only experienced one small handshaking glitch that they corrected via firmware so everything on that end worked out. I did not buy it straight out of the gate though as i remember all the issues they had with the UMC. All in all they seem to diligently work through the issues but you have to be patient. The DIRAC version was also the lite version and you could pay $100 for the full version but it only works with your XMC and the computer it's installed on. You couldn't transfer it to a new laptop etc without buying a new license.

Here's what I don't like and this isn't a slam against them, just my opinion that maybe they might consider constructive criticism. When I called them to ask for support after the damage and see if they could look at the equipment and give me an evaluation, they flat out said no. They wouldn't even recommend a repair shop or private testing, basically throw it in the dumpster. PreAmp, AMPS, everything. Now I get it, they don't want the liability and at the time my insurance company was wanting inspections and reports so I was trying to do my due diligence. I found a local facility to inspect it and repair for $50/hr plus parts. They called me the next day, finding it was a $5 voltage rectifier that smoked( this is after I bought a new preAmp). The XMC seems fine now, but they still won't run any tests for me on the input/outputs.

Off the rant now, bottom line is the XMC-1 worked flawless for me but you have to be patient and let them work the bugs out. This time next year, it's probably good to buy.
I remember they turned Gene down for an amp repair too. Guess they're not qualified to fix their own gear?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In my book, a manufacturer that doesn't support after sales service does not deserve business. period.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis