Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am having trouble formatting and playing a thumb drive on my Denon.
I formatted the drive in Fat 32, exported a couple of playlists from ITunes, when I try to play the drive the message sis “no data”
Any ideas?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Did you put the playlists in a folder? If it's anything like my Yamaha, the tracks won't be recognized unless they're in a folder(s).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What file type is it specifically on your usb drive? Ponzio's question about folders not sure I've tried in my Denon both ways (I tend to use folders for all my music),but I do see a note in my Denon manual for mp4 files that if the artwork is too large it may not play correctly. Might describe what you're doing in the Denon to play it, too. Are the applish files protected in some fashion?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks Ponzio, do you mean a folder on the drive, or a folder on the receiver?

Either way how do I do that?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I created a music folder in the flash drive and moved the music there. The Denon show the music file but no data.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
What file type is it specifically on your usb drive? Ponzio's question about folders not sure I've tried in my Denon both ways (I tend to use folders for all my music),but I do see a note in my Denon manual for mp4 files that if the artwork is too large it may not play correctly. Might describe what you're doing in the Denon to play it, too. Are the applish files protected in some fashion?
The file is an MU file. I am starting to think it’s a Apple thing!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The file is an MU file. I am starting to think it’s a Apple thing!
Not heard of an mu file and googling shows it to be probably not correct (some sort of extension for other applications). I'd have expected some sort of applish thing like m4a....but a long time since I discarded iTunes for unfriendly play with pc stuff. Did you buy the music?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
MU files are playlist file(s). It's not an Apple thing. You can create them using Foobar/Winamp/etc. for your PC/MAC to play a whole album or list of songs ... playlists :D

Delete it. Just put the tracks in a single or multiple folder(s). And remove any type of temp files/etc. too. Anytime I get MP3/ALAC files from my Apple buddies there's all these extraneous files I have to get rid off to get them to play correctly on my PC and I suspect Denon's built-in processor. Typical Apple priority bull... :p

Good luck

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have about 300 cd’d That I own, maybe 200 songs that I downloaded.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Ponzio fwiw when I searched I saw top results for a MU file having nothing to do with apple or music generally (like this)....but I only looked at top results. Is it an actual file extension? Searching m3u extension I see a playlist reference....

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
@Ponzio fwiw when I searched I saw top results for a MU file having nothing to do with apple or music generally (like this)....but I only looked at top results. Is it an actual file extension? Searching m3u extension I see a playlist reference....
My bad. I just did a search in my music folders by extension and they're xxxx.m3u files like "Old Onkyo" mentioned not MU.

Here's the skinny on all things M3U.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am having trouble formatting and playing a thumb drive on my Denon.
I formatted the drive in Fat 32, exported a couple of playlists from ITunes, when I try to play the drive the message sis “no data”
Any ideas?
I don't know if you read the manual for this, but here it is-

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4100W/EU/EN/GFNFSYrovixdpl.php

AAC isn't shown, so if your music is in that format, you'll need to change it.

I installed a Marantz AVR in a boat for a customer and he has a ReQuest music server at home, with a lot of music on it. The files for listening onsite are .wax, but it also stores MP3 files for streaming through their ddns server. ReQuest used a network drive at the time and their system is proprietary, so the .wav files are harder to copy but I found that I can copy the MP3 files from the hard drive easily. I did that and copied them to two SanDisk 64GB thunb drives and the first two, as well as the ones I had for testing it, worked fine. The third wouldn't format in FAT32, only ExFAT32. I'll find out if this is the problem- I couldn't play the tracks on my Yamaha MusicCast or his Denon AVR, either.

I don't have the first two thumb drives here (the boat is a three hour drive from here) but if they formatted in FAT32, I suspect the third was mis-packed because, from what I read, FAT32 is used up to and including 32GB drives, ExFAT32 is used for larger drives but according to Denon/Marantz tech support, they should be compatible.

As far as folders, look for anything that isn't a music file. The ReQuest automatically places all music in a folder for each artist, regardless of the number of songs which made it easy to copy/paste in this case. If your computer's hard drive is large enough and you have the time to do it, you can create folders in a master folder on your desktop and manage the music as you want- the Denon and Marantz AVRs can separate the music by genre, artist, song, etc so you can use that if you want.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have about 300 cd’d That I own, maybe 200 songs that I downloaded.
This is what you transferred to the usb drive? They all show the m3u file extension? By downloaded you mean paid for I assume? So shouldn't be any ownership issues?

Still having issues or did you resolve?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis