Advice on subwoofers

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Been reading from afar for a long time, jealous of all the knowledge of which I have so little. Gonna be upgrading my subwoofers and you guys wrote the book on the subject.
My HT is 20' by 16' with 8' ceiling, 12' opening on one wall into 3000'3 room
Opening into long hallway as well. Current system is Yamaha 3080 used as prepro, with Outlaw 7700 and 7000 as amps
Front LR Klipsch Chorus (Been in storage for 30 years hea raised family)
Cen Klipsch 504
Surround Bose 901
Subs Klipsch spl120
Back Klipsch rp8000
Atmos Klipsch 500m
Was looking at monolith 12s or 15s
But Specks for Hsu vtf 15h mk2 looks good
Really only use for ht as music is through headphones. To loud for wife otherwise.
Just really want to feel the explosion in chest.
Budget maybe $2500
Thanks in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Been reading from afar for a long time, jealous of all the knowledge of which I have so little. Gonna be upgrading my subwoofers and you guys wrote the book on the subject.
Opening into long hallway as well. Current system is Yamaha 3080 used as prepro, with Outlaw 7700 and 7000 as amps
Cen Klipsch 504
Surround Bose 901
Subs Klipsch spl120
Back Klipsch rp8000
Atmos Klipsch 500m
Really only use for ht as music is through headphones. To loud for wife otherwise.
Budget maybe $2500
Thanks in advance!
Monolith THX and the Hsu VTF-15h mk2 are some of the best choices out there. For a guy who claims to be so ignorant, you sure have done your homework. In this price range, I also like what an dual Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13 can do. For just a tad over your budget, consider a Hsu VTF-3 mk5 triple sub system- that will pound you into a bloody mist. If you want something that performs well but is very easy to deal with physically, consider a few SVS PC-2000s. If you want a crazy flat frequency response to below 20 Hz, consider four Hsu VTF-2 mk5s. Also look at some Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12s.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Cen Klipsch 504
Surround Bose 901
Subs Klipsch spl120
Back Klipsch rp8000
Atmos Klipsch 500m
Budget maybe $2500
Thanks in advance!
Everything Shady said you really have done some research with your budget the skies the limit. 4 PC 2000's. Dual Monolith 15's
3 to 4 of the HSU VTF-3 or 2"s the HSU is my choice I'm leaning to here. Also the new Paradigm Defiance 15 2 of those would be a liiiitttle over budget but wow! It would smash that room just crush you like an empty soda can lol

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
You guys are the best!! Gonna have to look at Paradigm as I never heard of them. The Outlaw is down firing and I have no experience with that.
Does down firing subs hit hard at low hrz? Got their amps and they truly rock. Was gonna put the spls on back wall for now, they don’t hit hard down low
There only rated down to 25 hrz. The chorus have 15” woofers with horns for mid and tweeter. It goes down to 20 hrz. Chorus speakers are amazing. I want to put subs right next to them for most impact. I guess what I need to do is 2 subs up front for now and next year more on back wall.
As I just looked again at the hsu’s from 16 to 20 hrz they look better than monolith’s am I being stupid here?
Your guys reviews are exceptional and you should be commended for them and the only ones I trust!
I’m gonna wait for Labor Day to pull trigger

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Check what the SPL is at 16-20hz and compare!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cen Klipsch 504
Surround Bose 901
Subs Klipsch spl120
Back Klipsch rp8000
Atmos Klipsch 500m
Budget maybe $2500
Thanks in advance!

Similar sized rooms...(18x16x9) and I'm currently running dual HSU vtf 3 mk5 subs.

Mostly a music room, but I have all the sub I need...I still want a 3rd one for near field...(with two, I tried one on the TV wall and the other near field and I loved the near field sub experience but one sub up front for music was not ideal for me.

Good luck with it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You guys are the best!! Gonna have to look at Paradigm as I never heard of them. The Outlaw is down firing and I have no experience with that.
Does down firing subs hit hard at low hrz? Got their amps and they truly rock. Was gonna put the spls on back wall for now, they don’t hit hard down low
There only rated down to 25 hrz. The chorus have 15” woofers with horns for mid and tweeter. It goes down to 20 hrz. Chorus speakers are amazing. I want to put subs right next to them for most impact. I guess what I need to do is 2 subs up front for now and next year more on back wall.
As I just looked again at the hsu’s from 16 to 20 hrz they look better than monolith’s am I being stupid here?
Your guys reviews are exceptional and you should be commended for them and the only ones I trust!
I’m gonna wait for Labor Day to pull trigger
Make sure your translating the data correctly if they are measuring the numbers from 1m you need to subtract 9db from the number to compare it with the monoliths if there measured from 2m

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
The monolith 15s were at about 105 at 16 and 109 at 20. The 12s were 98.5 at 16 and 104.7 at 20
The hsu were 111.3 at 16 and 116.1 for 20
That seems somewhat significant but numbers are the only way to compare for me as I’m to far away from Southern California to hear them at show room. So I’m going by Audioholics reviews and the feedback I get from this forum .
Still unsure of downfiring subs and looking at paradigm.

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Make sure your translating the data correctly if they are measuring the numbers from 1m you need to subtract 9db from the number to compare it with the monoliths if there measured from 2m
Ok thanks

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The monolith 15s were at about 105 at 16 and 109 at 20. The 12s were 98.5 at 16 and 104.7 at 20
That seems somewhat significant but numbers are the only way to compare for me as I’m to far away from Southern California to hear them at show room. So I’m going by Audioholics reviews and the feedback I get from this forum .
Subtract nine from those HSU numbers and they'll be accurate comparing them to the Monolith

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Downfiring subs are just as badass as front firing ones bass is omnidirectional so it doesn't really matter which way they did the outlaw are fine subs and downfiring or not will work just fine.

Those new Paradigm Defiance especially the 15 is a Damn fine sub Shady did an excellent review of it here. If They had been on the market when I was shopping I would have gone with them

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Similar sized rooms...(18x16x9) and I'm currently running dual HSU vtf 3 mk5 subs.

Mostly a music room, but I have all the sub I need...I still want a 3rd one for near field...(with two, I tried one on the TV wall and the other near field and I loved the near field sub experience but one sub up front for music was not ideal for me.

Good luck with it.
I have a VTF-3 nearfield- glorious!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Call up HSU and see if you can demo. They're in Anaheim or somewhere close by. They will distort more than the Monoliths if I'm not mistaken

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5's in my large room and have plenty of bass. They did not disappoint.

All of the subs recommended so far are solid performers, tho it doesn't make it any easier to choose does it!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5's in my large room and have plenty of bass. They did not disappoint.

All of the subs recommended so far are solid performers, tho it doesn't make it any easier to choose does it!
Man, ain't that the truth! There's a lot of smart people that hang out around here. If we can invent teleporting I think a subwoofer store could be a winner. Just have one nice reference system with dozens of subs to demo. The teleportation will unite the bassaholics!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Monolith THX and the Hsu VTF-15h mk2 are some of the best choices out there. For a guy who claims to be so ignorant, you sure have done your homework. In this price range, I also like what an dual Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13 can do. For just a tad over your budget, consider a Hsu VTF-3 mk5 triple sub system- that will pound you into a bloody mist. If you want something that performs well but is very easy to deal with physically, consider a few SVS PC-2000s. If you want a crazy flat frequency response to below 20 Hz, consider four Hsu VTF-2 mk5s. Also look at some Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12s.
Note that most of these ID sub manufacturers do not give very large discounts unless you can find some B-stock/open box returns (some are barely blemished).
However, last year Outlaw had their Ultra-X13 on sale for $1000 each (vs ~$1600 MSRP)! I don't know that they will have such a great markdown in the future, but Outlaw one of the few ID companies that gives a great discount from time to time. They had a good price on there Ultra-X12 as well, but I don't remember the numbers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis