Apparently, someone was listening- Marantz 2 channel AVR

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Great option for a small setup, bedroom system, etc. Affordable, too.

highfigh

highfigh

Exactly what I would be looking for in an AVR.
I would like to see at least one more optical and coax digital input, but it's really not a deal breaker. Glad to see it has preamp and sub outputs and IR input jack.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If they wanted to take it one step farther, take the amps out and sell it as a $500 pre-pro. That product would, IMO, sell like ice cream on a hot day. I use the similar NR1608 as a pre-pro and it is very competent in that role.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Even if I have use for a 2.1 HT setup, I would still pay a few hundred dollars more for a SR7013 or 6013, and pretend it has only two channels. I would like to see a modular prepro that offers 7, 9, or 11 channels, with minimal video features, not tuners, and just a couple of analog I/Os for two channels, no phono, may be 1 optical and 1 coax and a asynchronous USB that take advantage of a flagship class DAC IC such as the ESS9018/28/38 or AK4497. Then I would go back to separates instead of AVR for sure.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I find this (from the link) rather interesting:
Supports dual subwoofers for even, low-frequency bass response within your listening environment. Enjoy accurate bass with no audible peaks or dips no matter where you place your subwoofer.
Do you know if it has a crossover between sub and speakers in the AVR? That is something I would want.
The above seems like one heck of an exaggeration, but I would not expect them to make such a statement unless they were doing something to counter/EQ room effects!

Edit - I guess they are saying that by supporting 2 subs, it accomplishes this. Gotta give their marketing department crediting for getting the most mileage out of integrating a "Y splitter" into this receiver!

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most importantly of all:

• The NR1200 features speaker A/B letting you easily configure it to drive two pairs of loudspeakers in separate rooms, or to drive a single pair of bi-wired audiophile compatible speakers

That's what I'm talking about! Now I just have to check the list of bi-wired audiophile compatible speakers and see if the Klipsch RP-280F's are on there. If not, then off to the dumpster they go. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Got an e-mail from the regional Marantz rep with info about the NR-1200 receiver.
Highfigh,
This is a bit off topic, but an image in the link got my curiousity up!
As someone who has been in audio retail (I presume!?), I'm hoping you may have some insight.
How does Marantz square this image with their manual (which was not available, but I imagine requires more clearance above the receiver than this CD player allows):

It is a good look, but aren't they presenting an image that would violate your warranty?
I might think you could get away with putting the CD player on the bottom if the CD player does not get too hot?!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Highfigh,
As someone who has been in audio retail (I presume!?),I'm hoping you may have some insight.
How does Marantz square this image with their manual (which was not available, but I imagine requires more clearance above the receiver than this CD player allows):

It is a good look, but aren't they presenting an image that would violate your warranty?
I might think you could get away with putting the CD player on the bottom if the CD player does not get too hot?!
I'm not highfigh, but for a while Revel had their pictures of midrange drivers and tweeters mixed up for their descriptions in the Ultima2 web pages. I have no doubt that some clueless photographers did whatever they thought looked cool.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not highfigh, but for a while Revel had their pictures of midrange drivers and tweeters mixed up for their descriptions in the Ultima2 web pages. I have no doubt that some clueless photographers did whatever they thought looked cool.
If they hired a professional photographer I don't think that he put those photographies on the web pages and it's more likely some web "developer" did that on the request of the marketing people, which we all know have very flexible morals combined little technical understanding are deeply committed to give the prospective customer the best possible information to make an informed decision.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If they hired a professional photographer I don't think that he put those photographies on the web pages and it's more likely some web "developer" did that on the request of the marketing people, which we all know have very flexible morals combined little technical understanding are deeply committed to give the prospective customer the best possible information to make an informed decision.
Sorry for the poor grammar. The second sentence about the photographers referred to the Marantz photo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they wanted to take it one step farther, take the amps out and sell it as a $500 pre-pro. That product would, IMO, sell like ice cream on a hot day. I use the similar NR1608 as a pre-pro and it is very competent in that role.
With the relatively weak amps in it, may as well. If you're going to do a 2ch unit, should have more significant amp I think.

highfigh

highfigh

Highfigh,
As someone who has been in audio retail (I presume!?), I'm hoping you may have some insight.

I doubt the engineering department had any input once this reached marketing and I doubt marketing knows that stacking the CD player on top can cause overheating. However, people have put the receiver on the bottom for decades, so......

Maybe they think it could fall over from being top-heavy.:)

highfigh

highfigh

With the relatively weak amps in it, may as well. If you're going to do a 2ch unit, should have more significant amp I think.
75W/channel@.08%THD, 20Hz-20KHz was considered to be fairly high power before people became obsessed with output numbers but it's good that they included preamp output jacks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
75W/channel@.08%THD, 20Hz-20KHz was considered to be fairly high power before people became obsessed with output numbers but it's good that they included preamp output jacks.
Was that when higher sensitivity speakers were in vogue? How will people get their speakers to sing to their full potential?! ;) Still, its on the light side....

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Whenever my old Yamaha dies, something like this would fit the bill perfectly. The Outlaw Roadrunner would probably be overkill for my (future) living room setup and costs $250 more, so...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis