JL Sub: Advice Needed Concerning Purchase

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
First, imagine a home theater that is around 18x18. When it comes to bass, my preference is overkill. My new system is overkill for the space. I understand this. I see “overkill” as a lifestyle choice of sorts.
Second, I am able to buy JL at a terrific price and absolutely love their theater subs. I am not seeking advice on any other brands or a cost x performance analysis.
Disclaimers out of the way, I currently have a Fathom f113v2. I’ve had it for a few months and have been very impressed with its performance. I have a couple options now, options which will vanish in a couple weeks and I’ll never have again.

Option A) add a second f113v2
Option B) remove current f113v2; add a Gotham v2

Not considering price as a factor, which option would you choose? And any particular reason?

I appreciate your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First, imagine a home theater that is around 18x18. When it comes to bass, my preference is overkill. My new system is overkill for the space. I understand this. I see “overkill” as a lifestyle choice of sorts.
Second, I am able to buy JL at a terrific price and absolutely love their theater subs. I am not seeking advice on any other brands or a cost x performance analysis.
Disclaimers out of the way, I currently have a Fathom f113v2. I’ve had it for a few months and have been very impressed with its performance. I have a couple options now, options which will vanish in a couple weeks and I’ll never have again.

Option A) add a second f113v2
Option B) remove current f113v2; add a Gotham v2

Not considering price as a factor, which option would you choose? And any particular reason?

I appreciate your help!!

JL are amazing subs I'm not sure on the specs generally 2 subs is better then one both for bass quality across multiple seats and increase in overall output although for a lot of us the improvement in frequency responses across room issues and better bass response in multiple seats is the thing we look for although increase in output doesn't hurt either

I'll go on there site and look at the specs but unless the V2 is just some absolute monster that totally dominates the one your happy with Id put in a second f113v2 that's just my opinion

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Happy hunting!!! Lol
LOL I really appreciate the advice! It’s extremely rare that the less expensive option is the better one, at least in my life anyways. A part of me, the not so rational part, just wants to see/hear the Gotham. It’s just looks so insane and over the top, but you are likely right in that sonically speaking, a second Fathom might be the right choice. While I’m a huge fan of overkill, even I can’t rationalize two Gotham’s in this room.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I'd just go with the second fathom. You'll essentially have the same wooferage as one gotham, plus get all the benefits of having a second sub placement option.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I'd be going with the second fathom as well the Gotham is impressive but it's not like those fathoms are light weights duals in the fathom will crush that room for sure plus give you all the benefits we were speaking about

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t hoping the advice would have been to go with the Gotham. A super massive JL sub weighing hundreds of pounds and called “GOTHAM” just seems epic. The only real plus for the Gotham seems to be that it occupies less space than two Fathoms. However, speaking rationally, seems going with stereo subs is the better option. Also I have been very impressed with the Fathom. It puts out some beautiful low frequency sound and I can only imagine what a second will be like. This sub will complete my system. I really appreciate the quick advice. I’ve just placed the order the second Fathom.
Here’s my newly completed equipment list:

McIntosh MI254 (dig amp)
McIntosh MC303 (SS Amp)
McIntosh MPC500 (conditioner)
Marantz AV8805 (processor)
JL Fathom f113v2 (X2)
B&W CCM7.5 (X2)
B&W CWM7.4 (X2)
B&W 803D2 (X2)
B&W HTM2D3 (center)
Sony VPL-VW695ES
Screen:
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro
Fixed-frame projector screen with ultra-thin frame and LED backlight, Black Diamond dark gray material (100")

12x2 - 250ft oxide free wire

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t hoping the advice would have been to go with the Gotham. A super massive JL sub weighing hundreds of pounds and called “GOTHAM” just seems epic.
Happy to help!
You definitely need a pair of Gothams!
Sure, it may be overkill right now in your current room, but who knows what your listening room might be 20 years from now! ...and Hey! Dual Gothams!!!:cool:

PS You also need to get grandfathered in before the HOA ban!:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Happy to help!
Sure, it may be overkill right now in your current room, but who knows what your listening room might be 20 years from now! ...and Hey! Dual Gothams!!!:cool:

KEW your such an instigator!

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Happy to help!

I consider myself lucky that i can’t afford two two Gotham’s, otherwise I might’ve done something stupid and reckless... not to say that doesn’t explain most of my decisions, but here it does not.
So far as my HOA, while technically speaking, I do not have fibromyalgia, low frequency sound can play a regulatory function by driving neural rhythmic oscillatory activity. Should I hear anything from the HOA, I might come down with a raging case of fibromyalgia. If that fails, I can get a letter from a psychiatrist saying that I’ve responded well to ESLFS (Emotionally Supportive Low Frequency Sound). If people can fly on a plane with a dog, why can’t I listen to intense bass?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I consider myself lucky that i can’t afford two two Gotham’s, otherwise I might’ve done something stupid and reckless... not to say that doesn’t explain most of my decisions, but here it does not.
So far as my HOA, while technically speaking, I do not have fibromyalgia, low frequency sound can play a regulatory function by driving neural rhythmic oscillatory activity. Should I hear anything from the HOA, I might come down with a raging case of fibromyalgia. If that fails, I can get a letter from a psychiatrist saying that I’ve responded well to ESLFS (Emotionally Supportive Low Frequency Sound). If people can fly on a plane with a dog, why can’t I listen to intense base?

You need an emotional support humpback whale!:oops:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t hoping the advice would have been to go with the Gotham. A super massive JL sub weighing hundreds of pounds and called “GOTHAM” just seems epic. The only real plus for the Gotham seems to be that it occupies less space than two Fathoms. However, speaking rationally, seems going with stereo subs is the better option. Also I have been very impressed with the Fathom. It puts out some beautiful low frequency sound and I can only imagine what a second will be like. This sub will complete my system. I really appreciate the quick advice. I’ve just placed the order the second Fathom.
Here’s my newly completed equipment list:

McIntosh MI254 (dig amp)
McIntosh MC303 (SS Amp)
McIntosh MPC500 (conditioner)
Marantz AV8805 (processor)
JL Fathom f113v2 (X2)
B&W CCM7.5 (X2)
B&W CWM7.4 (X2)
B&W 803D2 (X2)
B&W HTM2D3 (center)
Sony VPL-VW695ES
Screen:
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro
Fixed-frame projector screen with ultra-thin frame and LED backlight, Black Diamond dark gray material (100")

12x2 - 250ft oxide free wire

Why do you say stereo subs? You going to try and set them up that way?

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
I was using that to just mean two subs. That’s I heard anyways. Wrong?

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
You need an emotional support humpback whale!:oops:
I have a reef aquarium, but was told my reef was too small supper large whales. Nothing is never enough.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was using that to just mean two subs. That’s I heard anyways. Wrong?

Stereo subs would be setup as L/R channels. Two subs using mono source (like LFE or sub output from an avr) is just two subs. Personally I wouldn't bother with stereo subs.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In a perfect world people would do 2 identical subs to make it difficult to localize where the sub is. Otherwise you may have a sense of the bass is coming from the single sub’s position rather than all around evenly. You might have certain movies where a big explosion is supposed to be from the back right surround but the sub is sitting front left so that could sound a little strange for a few seconds as the surround speaker starts the explosion behind you but the LFE strongly finishes on the sub in front.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis