Klipsch rp280f or some other speakers

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think you will be very happy with those. They're at the top of the list for me when I downsize to 2.1 in my next living room. Be sure to post your opinion!

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I think you will be very happy with those. They're at the top of the list for me when I downsize to 2.1 in my next living room. Be sure to post your opinion!
Thanks ill be sure to post an opinion can't wait to get them.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I got my speakers today and they sound great after figureing out how to turn the crossover off. Had them set to large but crossover was still active did something an now its off. Speakers almost brought tears to my eyes never had anything this nice before. Great speakers. Now can anyone tell me a affordable sub to go with the Klipsch Rp280f ? Also i have to say i was watching alot more tv, but now ill be listening to alot more music these speakers are just that good. Oh an the sub id rather have a 10 inch i like the bass to be punchy and tight more than low and rumbleing. I mostly listen to rock music . Also what watt power sub im in a 12x15 room . Would a 150 watt do the job the Klipsch wirerless sub 150 watts on sale for 249 at crutchfield. But ive never heard it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have some sub misconceptions I think. Punchy and tight isn't particularly related to diameter of the driver. The wattage is somewhat meaningless without the sensitivity of the system let alone any actual measurements. For budget subs I'd look at Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500 at parts-express.com.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I got my speakers today and they sound great after figureing out how to turn the crossover off. Had them set to large but crossover was still active did something an now its off. Speakers almost brought tears to my eyes never had anything this nice before. Great speakers. Now can anyone tell me a affordable sub to go with the Klipsch Rp280f ? Also i have to say i was watching alot more tv, but now ill be listening to alot more music these speakers are just that good. Oh an the sub id rather have a 10 inch i like the bass to be punchy and tight more than low and rumbleing. I mostly listen to rock music . Also what watt power sub im in a 12x15 room . Would a 150 watt do the job the Klipsch wirerless sub 150 watts on sale for 249 at crutchfield. But ive never heard it.
Your speakers should have very good bass, so I wouldn't bother with a sub unless you can afford a good one. Forget budget subs, they won't be doing much that your speakers don't already do. You would need to be shopping in the $400 or better category at the very least for it to be worth adding a sub into your system.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
You have some sub misconceptions I think. Punchy and tight isn't particularly related to diameter of the driver. The wattage is somewhat meaningless without the sensitivity of the system let alone any actual measurements. For budget subs I'd look at Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500 at parts-express.com.
Probably misconception i just dont know alot about them, i know when i go to the best buy the Klipsch 10in is alot tighter than the 12 of cause my sub in my truck is tight when run out of phase thats why im on here asking thanks for the reply. By the way thanks for the options good price i dont have alot to spend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably misconception i just dont know alot about them, i know when i go to the best buy the Klipsch 10in is alot tighter than the 12 of cause my sub in my truck is tight when run out of phase thats why im on here asking thanks for the reply. By the way thanks for the options good price i dont have alot to spend.
Not sure which Klipsch you're comparing (think they have a few 10" models these days),and comparing a home sub to a car sub is a different thing as well. Might be interested in this thread running currently: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/interesting-observations-on-budget-subwoofers.115423/

Might like these bass myths https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=euj8sk

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Your speakers should have very good bass, so I wouldn't bother with a sub unless you can afford a good one. Forget budget subs, they won't be doing much that your speakers don't already do. You would need to be shopping in the $400 or better category at the very least for it to be worth adding a sub into your system.
Ill probably have around 400 as soon as i sell my 15 in compound miter saw it just sets on my porch doing nothing. Or would it be better to buy rp450c center channel next. Im trying over time to get 5.1 going. Might take awhile.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Not sure which Klipsch you're comparing (think they have a few 10" models these days),and comparing a home sub to a car sub is a different thing as well. Might be interested in this thread running currently: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/interesting-observations-on-budget-subwoofers.115423/

Might like these bass myths https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=euj8sk
Its r10sw 300watt sub not sure what the 12in they have is never looked didnt like the way it sounded.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Its r10sw 300watt sub not sure what the 12in they have is never looked didnt like the way it sounded.
If possible, save up for the R110sw, or, even better, the R-112SW
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-110SW-Subwoofer/dp/B00N41IV58

I'm with ShadyJ on this, the RP-280 has good bass and it really doesn't make too much sense to add a sub unless you are really going to add a good one.
The lower tier Klipsch subs are nothing to write home about, but their subs from this series are very competent for the price!

Last edited:
C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
If possible, save up for the R110sw, or, even better, the R-112SW
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-110SW-Subwoofer/dp/B00N41IV58

I'm with ShadyJ on thhis, the RP-280 has good bass and it really doesn't make too much sense to add a sub unless you are really going to add a good one.
The lower tier Klipsch subs are nothing to write home about, but their subs from this series are very competent for the price!
Thanks this is the sub I was thinking of getting. Saving is a problem me an my wife are both disabled and have 3 kids so its more a matter of saleing some thing to get something. Which I do have something i can sale for around 400 dollars, the only reason i could afford the rp280f was a loan. I only want the sub mostly for listening to music. But im not sure that i shouldn't buy the rp450c center channel first sense its discontinued and just get a sub some where down the road. My luck ill save and save an as soon as i get the complete 5.1 ill kell over dead lol. Im pretty old. Wish i was able to work i wouldnt have this problem .

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Hey just want to say you guys are great to take the time to reply to all my noob questions .

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks this is the sub I was thinking of getting. Saving is a problem me an my wife are both disabled and have 3 kids so its more a matter of saleing some thing to get something. Which I do have something i can sale for around 400 dollars, the only reason i could afford the rp280f was a loan. I only want the sub mostly for listening to music. But im not sure that i shouldn't buy the rp450c center channel first sense its discontinued and just get a sub some where down the road. My luck ill save and save an as soon as i get the complete 5.1 ill kell over dead lol. Im pretty old. Wish i was able to work i wouldnt have this problem .
The best $400 subs are the RSL Speedwoofer- 30 day trial, shipping both ways included, and the HSU VTF1 Mk3 (which is $449 with shipping, you pay return shipping if not happy).

If you watch a lot of action/sci-fi or other movies with a lot of bass IMO you would be better off with a good sub than a center channel. You can get by pretty well with most content using a phantom center (2.1). The speedwoofer is also wireless ready.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
The best $400 subs are the RSL Speedwoofer- 30 day trial, shipping both ways included, and the HSU VTF1 Mk3 (which is $449 with shipping, you pay return shipping if not happy).

If you watch a lot of action/sci-fi or other movies with a lot of bass IMO you would be better off with a good sub than a center channel. You can get by pretty well with most content using a phantom center (2.1). The speedwoofer is also wireless ready.
Yes sifi and action is most of my viewing thanks for the info

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just want to make sure you have the Klipsch series of subs straight ... because their numbering system is very easily confused!
Say "no" to the R-10SW (or R-12SW). Say "yes" to the R-110SW (or R-112SW or R-115SW).
The R-10SW series are relatively incompetent designs. The newer (and more expensive) R-110SW series appear to include some good consulting on how to make a quality subwoofer.

Here is a review of the larger R-115SW by Brent Butterworth (one of the very few reviewers I trust) who has pretty deep experience measuring and evaluating subwoofers (and also plays bass):
https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-r-115sw-subwoofer-reviewed/

At MSRP, the R-112SW costs $650 which is not a great deal. However they are currently on special for $400, which puts it on a short list for best value $400 subwoofer currently available!
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-IE0ywkaOMnA/p_714R112SW/Klipsch-Reference-R-112SW.html?XVINQ=GW3&XVVer=1P4&awcp=1t1&awcr=347787593255&awdv=c&awkw=klipsch r 112sw&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9010826&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZTqBRBZEiwAHHxpfm7NXVPrtJXmrMmono_frslXfhxmA9_x98-b-MuFL3kYZ8L2JoZwDhoCGN0QAvD_BwE

Note that Crutchfield has the R-110SW for $486, so the $400 R-112SW is, indeed, a special bargain!
Amazon does have the R-110 for $350, but I would spend the extra $50 for the R-112SW! For your situation, I would look at it as whether you would rather have the matching copper sub in a larger box or a more compact sub.

Note: I think you would be happy with either the RSL speedwoofer (which has also received several great reviews) or the Klipsch. The Klipsch will dig deeper, but the RSL is impressive. The main point I am trying to make is there is a lot of anti-Klipsch sub sentiment out there. I can't fault them, because Klipsch earned that reputation ... as a manufacturer of consistently poor subwoofers for many years. However, with the introduction of the R-110SW series, they are taking subs seriously! At MSRP, subs from Hsu are still better value, but the Klipsch sub is still a good sub. At $400 for the R-112SW, this Klipsch is now also a great value.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ill probably have around 400 as soon as i sell my 15 in compound miter saw it just sets on my porch doing nothing. Or would it be better to buy rp450c center channel next. Im trying over time to get 5.1 going. Might take awhile.
First, be happy that you now have a pretty nice sounding system. I suspect the change of speakers is by far the most significant improvement you will see. A good sub or center will likely improve the sound, but by a lesser extent.
I would say the decision between sub vs center would mainly be dictated by your application.
How much music vs Home Theater do you intend this system for?
I am probably 75/25 music vs TV, but when I eliminate TV shows that don't have real attention to sound (like the news or comedy shows like Jimmy Fallon - where your 280's are more than adequate) I am more like 95%/5% music/HT!
Almost all music is recorded in stereo and you are best off not using any of the synthesized multichannel features of your AVR! Thus, for someone like me (95%/5%), a center speaker offers very little, since it adds nothing to music. A sub, on the other hand will round out the bottom end of my stereo music, so is much more important to me.
I should add that there are some good music recordings made in 5.1 (or other multi-channel formats). Some of them are quite well done by people who really embraced the technology, but by and large, they are novelties - I say that because of their rarity and extra cost - I don't intend to discount the effort some groups have invested to produce a quality 5.1 recording. Others simply use the extra channels mainly for ambient effects, and then there are a few that should not have attempted 5.1 without more forethought!
If you listen to lots of TV and movies, then the center may be of greater worth (although many would still suggest the sub as more relevant). Just listen to your system as it currently is, how well is the center image maintained (without the center speaker)? Close your eyes and image a center speaker, is a fair amount of sound coming from this Phantom center? Some speakers do this better than other and I suspect the 280's do it well. Do you have difficulty hearing dialog with your 280's? If so a center may be very worthwhile for you since you can raise the volume specifically on the center which almost always carries the majority of the dialog!
I went 5-6 years without a center, even as I went from 2.2 to 4.2 (surround without a center). I finally added a center and really don't feel it made a big difference in my sound. But for others, adding a center was a major improvement, so check the above aspects with your current speakers to get a feel for what you might gain!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis