2020 C8 Corvette ....... Love at first sight ?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how many bare bone models were ordered....if any.
while I don't know my bet is none, again I would hazard to guess most will option out @ 70k or higher.

Any idea of a performance model? I saw the Jay Leno introduction with GM but don't remember....
eventually in a year or two a ZO6 and probably a ZR1(Zora) variant will be offered. It's common practice for Corvette to wait a couple of years to be sure no major bugs are present as well as the continued development cycle in a new model. Initially the Z51 option is it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
while I don't know my bet is none, again I would hazard to guess most will option out @ 70k or higher.

eventually in a year or two a ZO6 and probably a ZR1(Zora) variant will be offered. It's common practice for Corvette to wait a couple of years to be sure no major bugs are present as well as the continued development cycle in a new model. Initially the Z51 option is it.
I wonder what power levels the Z06 and ZR1 will be this go round?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
While this thing is clearly fantastic, is it really a Corvette outside of the name? A redesign this drastic (mid engine instead of front engine) would (to me) be a new model.

My friend has always been a Corvette freak (owns 3) and he is none too pleased, but I also wouldn't be surprised to ride in his new C8 when he caves and buys one.

Man that's a good looking car.
It's always a juggling act, real innovation vs. pissing off the purists!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Glad to see Corvette put out better cars the last few versions. Not tempted personally, my sports car owning days ended many years ago. Might rent one one day for the fun of it, tho.
So true. One of the joys of getting old. When it takes me longer to get in or out of a car than it takes the car to go from 0-60, it's time to look elsewhere. (But it does look great!)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So true. One of the joys of getting old. When it takes me longer to get in or out of a car than it takes the car to go from 0-60, it's time to look elsewhere. (But it does look great!)
I may own a sports car again one day, for many years I had a Ford Mustang and a Nissan 300zx.

But, I'm in TX, and I needed a truck! So, I drive an F150 now. I do love the "throne" seating in the truck. And, around here the other drivers are terrible, so I feel much more safe in a truck vs. a little sports car.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I may own a sports car again one day, for many years I had a Ford Mustang and a Nissan 300zx.

But, I'm in TX, and I needed a truck! So, I drive an F150 now. I do love the "throne" seating in the truck. And, around here the other drivers are terrible, so I feel much more safe in a truck vs. a little sports car.
In the late-'80s, I had an RX-7 until it was stolen. I can't imagine driving that in Milwaukee now- people can't seem to see my white cargo van or the '90 Chevy Silverado I had and they try to merge into my space as if I'm totally invisible.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In the late-'80s, I had an RX-7 until it was stolen. I can't imagine driving that in Milwaukee now- people can't seem to see my white cargo van or the '90 Chevy Silverado I had and they try to merge into my space as if I'm totally invisible.
RX-7 was a fine car! Except, it tended to be difficult to find anyone that could work on the engine.

Did you ever have problems with finding mechanics with the proper knowledge?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

I had no idea how well-equipped F-150s are these days. Now, you only have to stop for gas, since you can take a dump in the driver's seat! ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I had no idea how well-equipped F-150s are these days. Now, you only have to stop for gas, since you can take a dump in the driver's seat! ;)
Oh man, trucks aren't what they used to be! Top end trim packages are right up there with luxury cars, and you have plenty of leg room and elbow room too. Gas mileage be damned!

Even the new 6 cylinder ecoboost can push 25mpg combined nowadays!

I have the FX2 trim package, which is a very nice mid-level trim. A bit more of a "street truck" look instead of a "work truck", but no performance penalty either.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ask a Boxter owner how you change the spark plugs and you'll see where this Vette is headed. You just quadrupled the cost of maintenance.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Now that the reveal of the upcoming C8 Corvette is a week old are there any interested parties in the new mid-engine design ?

Myself, from what I've seen in the pics and vids I think they have hit a home run. Cantwait to see it in person next month @ Carlisle

https://www.motor1.com/news/362769/2020-corvette-up-close-tour/
Well, for me, it's average cute millionth product in a row with transformers aesthetics. My only problem with it is "Stingray" atribute in the linked video. I hope they decide to drop it. I'm getting a bit tired of these flimpsy, lukewarm efforts at rehashing. Legendary models didn't become legendary through rehashing, which (and I'm really just testing my understanding of logic) would make it impossible to make a new legend by evoking old ones.

It's like a dumb kid in a talent show singing Jacques Brel.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Ask a Boxter owner how you change the spark plugs and you'll see where this Vette is headed. You just quadrupled the cost of maintenance.
Since the replacement interval for spark plugs on a GM naturally-aspirated V8 is 97,000 miles, it's really not a huge maintenance consideration. The mid-engine Porsches aren't a really good analogy, because the flat-six engines have a [ridiculous] 18,000-36,000 mile spark plug change interval, depending on the generation, and the boxer engine design makes the plugs relatively easy to get to from the underside of the car. I am wondering what the spark plug replacement procedure will like for the C8. Plug access is from the upper-sides of the engine. I'd imagine it's going to be a very annoying job.

One attraction of the C8, for me at least, is that mid-engine design eliminates the very annoying tunnel heat problem every Corvette since the 1997 C5 has had. As the power output of the engine went up over the years the problem got worse, and no amount of insulation fixes it.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well, for me, it's average cute millionth product in a row with transformers aesthetics. My only problem with it is "Stingray" atribute in the linked video. I hope they decide to drop it. I'm getting a bit tired of these flimpsy, lukewarm efforts at rehashing. Legendary models didn't become legendary through rehashing, which (and I'm really just testing my understanding of logic) would make it impossible to make a new legend by evoking old ones.

It's like a dumb kid in a talent show singing Jacques Brel.
it's far more than a 'lukewarm rehashing' !

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, you're far north enough that 35 is much worse than it is for me. Granted, my 2500 Ram is a bit cumbersome compared to your f150. My brother-in-law just got a 2015 and that is a nice looking truck for sure.

I do want a sports car, but my main gripe is where can I drive it and actually have fun? I'd have to go to a track probably.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, you're far north enough that 35 is much worse than it is for me. Granted, my 2500 Ram is a bit cumbersome compared to your f150. My brother-in-law just got a 2015 and that is a nice looking truck for sure.

I do want a sports car, but my main gripe is where can I drive it and actually have fun? I'd have to go to a track probably.
I actually moved to Bastrop, but still work in Austin.

I got tired of the city, the city traffic, and the ubiquitous homeless / panhandlers in Austin. Austin ain't what it used to be!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I actually moved to Bastrop, but still work in Austin.

I got tired of the city, the city traffic, and the ubiquitous homeless / panhandlers in Austin. Austin ain't what it used to be!
Nice! The traffic in Austin is horrible. That city wasn't ready for the amount of people that live there now.

Wife and I went to 6th street to go to the original Alamo Draft House. Never again. Especially on a day they close the damn road. Stupid.

Granted, I'm not a big fan of down-town anywhere in a large city. Even in NB parking is impossible, but we don't have homeless folks down-town.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! The traffic in Austin is horrible. That city wasn't ready for the amount of people that live there now.

Wife and I went to 6th street to go to the original Alamo Draft House. Never again. Especially on a day they close the damn road. Stupid.

Granted, I'm not a big fan of down-town anywhere in a large city. Even in NB parking is impossible, but we don't have homeless folks down-town.
15 or so years ago, the "small city" mentality in Austin was, "if we don't build it, they won't come".

WRONG! So, our roads and infrastructure have always been about a decade behind where they need to be. And, Austin does not have a true loop, and that is a big part of the problem.

Yup, us old-times call 6th Street "Dirty 6th", that's what it is. At least do yourself a favor and head towards 2nd-5th streets, a bit older and wiser crowd in that area.

For the record, the Alamo Ritz is NOT the original. The original was over in the warehouse district around 4th and Colorado or so. Back then, the Ritz was a bar for the low lifes. Mostly joking, I loved the old Ritz bar, it was a real come as you are place.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
One attraction of the C8, for me at least, is that mid-engine design eliminates the very annoying tunnel heat problem every Corvette since the 1997 C5 has had. As the power output of the engine went up over the years the problem got worse, and no amount of insulation fixes it.
having owned a C6, 2012 GS I know full well of what you speak. With the exhaust running down the middle of the car it was a problem. But the main culprit was the initial set 'cats' that were there up front. I installed a complete(minus cats) aftermarket exhaust from Borla which reduced the temps greatly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
15 or so years ago, the "small city" mentality in Austin was, "if we don't build it, they won't come".

WRONG! So, our roads and infrastructure have always been about a decade behind where they need to be. And, Austin does not have a true loop, and that is a big part of the problem.

Yup, us old-times call 6th Street "Dirty 6th", that's what it is. At least do yourself a favor and head towards 2nd-5th streets, a bit older and wiser crowd in that area.

For the record, the Alamo Ritz is NOT the original. The original was over in the warehouse district around 4th and Colorado or so. Back then, the Ritz was a bar for the low lifes. Mostly joking, I loved the old Ritz bar, it was a real come as you are place.
Ah, guess that's just the oldest one now. It's cool, but I've got a newer location just down the street so on the rare occasion I go to a theater I'd probably go there.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
having owned a C6, 2012 GS I know full well of what you speak. With the exhaust running down the middle of the car it was a problem. But the main culprit was the initial set 'cats' that were there up front. I installed a complete(minus cats) aftermarket exhaust from Borla which reduced the temps greatly.
That's a good point. With the way they route the exhaust it makes sense there would be heat issues. I never noticed it on any of my buddy's cars, but I didn't ride in them all that much. To hard for me to get in and out of them.

He has a C6 and a C7 Z06 now so I'm curious to see if he's had any heat issues. Being in TX I would imagine it's already so hot he never noticed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis