Vacuum cleaner for my pet hair!

A

Arkintosh

Audiophyte
Guys,

As the title says it all. I need a vacuum cleaner for my pet hair. I have a decent budget of over $200 for a single one. Looking for the best and reliable one. If there have a warranty would be nice too.

Can you please recommend a good one? Thanks!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
we have had at one time or another two labrador retrievers in the family. Its amazing that with the hair they drop in just one week that they don't die from the loss. We have had to automate the hair removal process or we'd all sink beneath the ocean of discarded protein. We have had several Roombas. They can be scheduled to run and you can literally forget about the chore. You can't forget to empty their bins or they will choke to death, but, you don't have to vacuum every day manually either.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
When I had three dogs, the hair from the yellow Lab and Lab/Beagle wasn't bad, but when Gus came into the house, it got ridiculous. We tried several different models and towards the end of the older dog's lives, we got the Shark and it worked pretty well, but brushing Gus constantly was the best solution. My mother went to a lot of doctor's appointments and I would bring a brush and a comb and a bag to put it in, and let Gus stick his head out the window and I would brush him and the amount of hair from a fairly short haired dog was amazing, especially in the spring and fall, when he would blow his coat. One time, mom was in the doctor for 2 hours plus, and I spent most of the time brushing him out. The wind was blowing and the pillow sized mound ended up blowing out of the car and getting stuck to the fence on the side of the parking lot. For almost 2 years, it stayed there, fading as time went by to light blonde, and we would drive over there across town just to see if it was still there or not. I never saw a dog with a great coat like Gus always had shed like he did. After he died, I found his hair in boxes radios, amps for years. We could always tell his hair because each hair was 3 colors and even though he appears to be Golden Retriever colored, if you cut the tips off he was light blonde, and if you went down further the hair would be almost black. If you look at the blonde patch on the pic along the collar, he had recently had a cyst removed a couple weeks earlier. In a couple more weeks, it would be the same color as most of the rest of him. Under all that hair was a brindle pigment pattern.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I had three dogs, the hair from the yellow Lab and Lab/Beagle wasn't bad, but when Gus came into the house, it got ridiculous. We tried several different models and towards the end of the older dog's lives, we got the Shark and it worked pretty well, but brushing Gus constantly was the best solution. My mother went to a lot of doctor's appointments and I would bring a brush and a comb and a bag to put it in, and let Gus stick his head out the window and I would brush him and the amount of hair from a fairly short haired dog was amazing, especially in the spring and fall, when he would blow his coat. One time, mom was in the doctor for 2 hours plus, and I spent most of the time brushing him out. The wind was blowing and the pillow sized mound ended up blowing out of the car and getting stuck to the fence on the side of the parking lot. For almost 2 years, it stayed there, fading as time went by to light blonde, and we would drive over there across town just to see if it was still there or not. I never saw a dog with a great coat like Gus always had shed like he did. After he died, I found his hair in boxes radios, amps for years. We could always tell his hair because each hair was 3 colors and even though he appears to be Golden Retriever colored, if you cut the tips off he was light blonde, and if you went down further the hair would be almost black. If you look at the blonde patch on the pic along the collar, he had recently had a cyst removed a couple weeks earlier. In a couple more weeks, it would be the same color as most of the rest of him. Under all that hair was a brindle pigment pattern.
Aww... what a good looking boy! Sorry to hear he passed. I absolutely love my dogs. I have lab mixes (mostly lab) and they're not too bad with shedding, tho like you said, spring and fall get a little... hairy.
26240.jpeg
26239.jpeg

I have a Shark duo clean NV800 and it comes with a pet power brush that we use on the furniture, which as you can see, our dogs live on with us, lol. That little attachment works better than the little stand alone we took back, and it was made just for pets and furniture. They sell a ton of other very helpful looking attachments too.

hero-NV800.jpg
hero-232FLIN800.jpg

The cannister lifts away which makes it a lot more portable. It does a great job on dust, dirt and hair and has a hepa filter on it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know, whilst looking up my model and a couple images I found out that I can replace almost any part on my vacuum cleaner and there really are a couple of attachments I was unaware of that I think I could make good use of! Go Shark!

This is what you get when puppies discover mud for the first time...

26053.jpeg
26055.jpeg

I love those dogs... lol. Loki (black, male) is almost 2 and Misty (yellow, female) is almost 4 now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, it does crack me up that someone can post a question about vacuuming up pet hair on an audiophile site and get useful replies without anyone batting an eye. I put almost 5 minutes into that first post! Ha ha!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also, it does crack me up that someone can post a question about vacuuming up pet hair on an audiophile site and get useful replies without anyone batting an eye. I put almost 5 minutes into that first post! Ha ha!
I've got a shark as well, and rather than dogs, 4 cats.
Admittedly, I question the shark, as it's low-end extension leaves a lot to be desired... it's kind of a one-note device. In our 8000'3 greatroom, it does alright, but seems like I should add 1 or 2 more to even out performance.
In terms of multi-zone usage, it does its job respectably, and the various attachments help.
In the end though, I still feel it kind of, well...
Sucks!
:rolleyes::p:cool:

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
If budget is no object (and I did see the OP's price constraints and know that it is) and you want a vacuum that can't be beat, buy a Miele. You will not need to purchase another. They are expensive. Their brand bags are expensive. But they are built to last and work great. When I bought mine the guy was rebuilding a 30 year old machine. He showed me the size of the brushes he was putting into the motor. Impressive!
When I bought mine we were living on a 160 acre horse farm. We had 7 rescued cats and 2 rescued dogs. I used to vacuum up enough hair every 5 days to make another cat!:eek: My machine is currently 20 years old. I've had to replace the duster brush and the on/off switch for the power head. It was an investment. I like that they are built to last and can be re-built when needed. Not a throw away machine.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
We have been through them all. Nothing but made-in-USA Simplicity products for the last 18 years, though we're only on our 2nd one. The first lasted 15, and could have been refurbished but we just wanted a new one.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Dyson Animal works good. Haven’t tried Shark or Miele. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Miele is BEAST! Just too d@mned expensive to justify on a budget. I will say, as a Private Chef working for High Profile clients... none of their housekeepers use anything less!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dusted and polished up my speakers today.

Funny how they always sound better after I clean 'em up... :p

Seriously tho, damn dogs and their nose prints... I use r/o water to dampen a soft cloth to get any smudges, then a chamois cloth to dry and finish the job. Swiffer with a wand for regular cleaning. I have yet to touch my speakers with my bare hands. My wife says that I'm "anal". Pft.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wouldn't their noses stick out through the tail hole?
Not if you do it right. :p But then again, I'm a cat guy. ;)
*shrugs
I deep vacuumed the other day... probably coulda built a cat! *facepalm

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Aww... what a good looking boy! Sorry to hear he passed. I absolutely love my dogs. I have lab mixes (mostly lab) and they're not too bad with shedding, tho like you said, spring and fall get a little... hairy.
View attachment 30210View attachment 30211

I have a Shark duo clean NV800 and it comes with a pet power brush that we use on the furniture, which as you can see, our dogs live on with us, lol. That little attachment works better than the little stand alone we took back, and it was made just for pets and furniture. They sell a ton of other very helpful looking attachments too.

View attachment 30212View attachment 30213

The cannister lifts away which makes it a lot more portable. It does a great job on dust, dirt and hair and has a hepa filter on it.
Thanks, he's been gone 20 years now, and the ones that came after him have been gone almost 7 years. I miss having dogs. The cats are ok, but they are weird like cats are and it's just not the same, but it sure is nice to be able to leave them alone for a day or so without any worries. I would have to have little dogs now, since I'm in an apartment, and I'm not a little dog fan.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Wouldn't their noses stick out through the tail hole?

View attachment 30264
I didn't know they had such things. I pictured a human baby diaper but the pic explains a lot. A friend use to put diapers on his Pug. I don't recall seeing a tail hole but that waist strap looks familiar. Beastly little creatures, resistant to house breaking ... establishing dominance by dropping a deuce? Most dogs just go #1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis