New and need some help!

G

GreatLights

Audiophyte
Hi there!

Newbie here - first post and all. I'm looking for some help with my audio setup if anyone is so inclined.

I recently bought a house that has an existing zoned audio install. There are 6 zones with in-ceiling speakers and in wall controller keypads.

The speakers are klipsch and the keypads are Russound.

I recently bought the Russound CAA66 controller to go with the keypads, but have no idea what else I need.

5 of the 6 zones are stereo, and one zone is 5.1.

I think I need a separate receiver/amp as a source to connect to the controller and 5.1 zone, but not sure what else I need, or how to wire it.

As far as sources go, I'd like to use the smart TV in the 5.1 zone as a source. There are 2 CAT5 cables run from the wall mount to the place where a the speaker and controller wires terminate.

I'd also like to be able to stream from mobile devices.

Please forgive my ignorance here. I've tried to do my own research, but I just keep going in circles.

Feel free to ask questions and please LMK what you suggest.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi there!

Newbie here - first post and all. I'm looking for some help with my audio setup if anyone is so inclined.

I recently bought a house that has an existing zoned audio install. There are 6 zones with in-ceiling speakers and in wall controller keypads.

The speakers are klipsch and the keypads are Russound.

I recently bought the Russound CAA66 controller to go with the keypads, but have no idea what else I need.

5 of the 6 zones are stereo, and one zone is 5.1.

I think I need a separate receiver/amp as a source to connect to the controller and 5.1 zone, but not sure what else I need, or how to wire it.

As far sources go, I'd like to use the smart TV in the 5.1 zone as a source. There are 2 CAT5 cables run from the wall mount to the place where a the speaker and controller wires terminate.

I'd also like to be able to stream from mobile devices.

Please forgive my ignorance here. I've tried to do my own research, but I just keep going in circles.

Feel free to ask questions and please LMK what you suggest.
Okay...as I understand it you have six total zones, five 2 ch and one surround sound zone.

Our resident whole house / low voltage expert will probably see this thread soon.

In the interim, I don't want to create more fog here, but from what I've read, you're going to need a surround sound AVR...5.1...all of your speakers will be wired directly to this AVR.

Secondly, you're going to need a multi-zone amp capable of powering 10 speakers. The speakers should already be wired to the wall control panel. Essentially the zone amp will be powering the wall panels for each zone.

Streaming...the AVR will control that so you'll want one with bluetooth connectivity or wifi and it will be able to recognize your mobile device as a source.

Yours will basically be a more sophisticated version of what I have. I have 3 pairs of speakers, one pair in 3 rooms. I opted not to use wall control panels...I control 2 of the 4 zones from a separate control box that handles on/off and volume for those 2 zones. The main zone (my surround sound zone) and zone 4 are controlled by my prepro (an AVR without power).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Channel-Multi-Zone-A-B-Speaker-Selector-w-Volume-Control-100-Watts-Channel/290816188150?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20180816085401&meid=95a870092d1a4b0d910ff1dc249a6704&pid=100970&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=322327948497&itm=290816188150&pg=2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci:13e39f7a-a3ea-11e9-ac50-74dbd1801485|parentrq:e17c1e1c16b0a99c15ca3611ff7fd0a5|iid:1

For power I bought a Emotiva zone amp.

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-800

Wiring.

5.1...all speakers are wired via the AVR

All of your wall panel units will be wired to the multi- zone amp.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

G

GreatLights

Audiophyte
Thanks. I have the Russound amp for the other 5 zones. Now I need to choose an AVR for the 5.1.

I'm also trying to make sense of how to get the audio signal from my smart TV to the AVR. From what I've seen so far, it's either run a 75-100' run of HDMI (for ARC from TV) orfiber optic, or use an HDBaseT extender with ARC capability.

Its just the audio signal that I need to run from the TV to the AVR, so not sure which is best. To be clear, theres no cable box/blue ray, etc. We only stream our content.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I have the Russound amp for the other 5 zones. Now I need to choose an AVR for the 5.1.

I'm also trying to make sense of how to get the audio signal from my smart TV to the AVR. From what I've seen so far, it's either run a 75-100' run of HDMI (for ARC from TV) orfiber optic, or use an HDBaseT extender with ARC capability.

Its just the audio signal that I need to run from the TV to the AVR, so not sure which is best. To be clear, theres no cable box/blue ray, etc. We only stream our content.
Running an optical cable from tv has the same 5.1 capabilities....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis