Upgrade to 7.2.6 from denon avr-x6400h

E

elmessan

Audiophyte
I wonder which direction should i take? I got a denon avr-x6400h now with an emotiva xpa7 gen3. And i would like to upgrade to 7.2.6. I can either go for the denon avr-x8500h or for the preamp av8805 and add another amp to power the atmos speakers. Any advice please?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder which direction should i take? I got a denon avr-x6400h now with an emotiva xpa7 gen3. And i would like to upgrade to 7.2.6. I can either go for the denon avr-x8500h or for the preamp av8805 and add another amp to power the atmos speakers. Any advice please?
If money no object, and you have the room for another amp, and don't mind all the additional wiring mess, the AV8805 would seem logical. In terms of simplicity, cost saving and value, the AVR makes sense. The money you save can be spent on things that will make a real difference instead of perceived or expected SQ difference that are not actually there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You've already installed 6 in-ceiling speakers?

E

elmessan

Audiophyte
Not really i just run the cables and bought the ceiling speaker for now.

R

Rajith

Enthusiast
If budget & space is a not a problem ,Then AV8805 is the way to go .A pre-pro combination is better for an AV enthuasist . I have heard AV8805 with Krell Theater 7 &5 power amps + ATC SCM100 (as LCR )speakers at a demo,and it was fantastic.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If money is not an issue, I would wait for the $4K Monolith HTP-1 7.3.6-pre-pro (based on the $10K DataSat LS10 and ATI ATP-16 pre-pro). Match that with the Monolith (ATI made) 200WPC Amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think most would agree (as I started saying..:D),on money/budget no object basis, prepro is the way to go. In that case, like ADTG suggested, a separate prepro may be even better, but I would research it to the nth degree before jumping in just for the "separate" thing. For example, you can spend a lot more on the so called boutique brand, only to find later they actually used lower grade components such the the highly important (for those who believe) DAC, preamp/volume control ICs, among others. When I say "research", I don't mean the subjective part of professional reviews, those are highly subjective, often borderline on exaggerated bs.. I mean specs, parts used, evidence of good build quality (not lead plates..),bench tests etc.

On the practical side, the picture is very different, because factually speaking, there no hardly any evidence something like an AV8805 would, or could result in one's speakers sounding any different, let alone "better" side from people express their opinions and audition experience that are highly subjective and varies a lot, by nature. That's the reason why I switched back from AVP to AVR, after spending more and gain nothing other than bragging right. So for better values, imo the x8500h is actually a good deal if 13 channel is a must. If 11 channels is acceptable then there are much more choices.

Edit: To Op, I should mention that the Denon has an significant advantage in having a close to real preamp mode. That would avoid some undesirable scenario such as the one Gene noted on the SR8012:

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8012-receiver/marantz-sr8012-bench-tests

I was unable to do a preamp frequency sweep exceeding 1.2Vrms as it tripped the protection circuits since the power amps were still engaged and exceeded full rated power (140 watt/ch, 8 ohms, Av = 29dB). Unfortunately, Marantz doesn't offer a preamp only mode to disconnect the power amp from the circuit if you're using only external amplification.
I don't recall him finding something similar in the older Marantz and Denon AVRs AH reviewed in the past, so this may be something new, or an anomaly that Marantz could fix in a future FW update. If not, I would avoid using Marantz AVRs as prepro with amps with lower to average gains such as ATI's, because a 200 W ATI would need 1.6 V input to reach their rated output.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would avoid using Marantz AVRs as prepro with amps with lower to average gains such as ATI's, because a 200 W ATI would need 1.6 V input to reach their rated output.
Wow. The Marantz SR8012 cannot exceed 1.2Vrms before protection mode?

The A860 shut down with 1.9Vrms, not 1.2Vrms!

Calling Voltage-Police @KEW ! :D

Looks like we got another Voltage-Violation. :D

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Wow! That is sad!
Edit: To Op, I should mention that the Denon has an significant advantage in having a close to real preamp mode. That would avoid some undesirable scenario such as the one Gene noted on the SR8012:
It looks like Denon is the gold standard.
Surprising that Denon and Marantz would be different unless it is those damned dubious HDAM modules that Marantz likes to brag about!:)

Of course, we do need to consider PENG's comment that this may be an anomaly:
I don't recall him finding something similar in the older Marantz and Denon AVRs AH reviewed in the past, so this may be something new, or an anomaly that Marantz could fix in a future FW update. If not, I would avoid using Marantz AVRs as prepro with amps with lower to average gains such as ATI's, because a 200 W ATI would need 1.6 V input to reach their rated output.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

The prepro Amir tested didn't have such issue either. Gene also noted 3rd harmonics higher than the little Deon avr-x3300h he also measured. So much for the HDAM that is supposed to improve..just kidding..I still love my 8801, in fact listening to it just now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The prepro Amir tested didn't have such issue either. Gene also noted 3rd harmonics higher than the little Deon avr-x3300h he also measured. So much for the HDAM that is supposed to improve..just kidding..I still love my 8801, in fact listening to it just now.
This is what we are talking about in terms of REAL LIFE vs the LAB. :D

Things could happen in the lab that don't transfer over to the real world. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow! That is sad!

It looks like Denon is the gold standard.
Surprising that Denon and Marantz would be different unless it is those damned dubious HDAM modules that Marantz likes to brag about!:)

Of course, we do need to consider PENG's comment that this may be an anomaly:
I do think it is an anomaly, though it could be as intended too. It is puzzling because why just the SR8012 and not the ones previously measured? On the other hand, there are no preout measurements on other recent SR models that can be found online, so we can't rule out the possibility that they may all behave similarly.

Interesting point on the HDAM thing. One of the Marantz unit that impressed Gene was the SR6004 and that may be the reason he had mentioned once or twice that Marantz may have cleaner preout and would be more suited for use as prepro than Denon's. The SR6004 had its preout measured unclipped at 2.49 Vrms, over 7 V p-p, though that's lower than the 4.5 V rms he measured on the AVR-X3300W and the AVR-X5200W.

The funny thing is, and I may be mistaken, but I don't think the impressive SR6004 has HDAMs. I don't think they put HDAMs in AVRs until later years. I should double check the schematics though just to be sure. The SR8012 of course has the latest HDAM version, identical to those in the flag ship AV8805, except they (all channels) are mounted on one board whereas the AV8805's are on separate boards (each channel), for better isolation.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I do think it is an anomaly, though it could be as intended too. It is puzzling because why just the SR8012 and not the ones previously measured? On the other hand, there are no preout measurements on other recent SR models that can be found online, so we can't rule out the possibility that they may all behave similarly.

Interesting point on the HDAM thing. One of the Marantz unit that impressed Gene was the SR6004 and that may be the reason he had mentioned once or twice that Marantz may have cleaner preout and would be more suited for use as prepro than Denon's. The SR6004 had its preout measured unclipped at 2.49 Vrms, over 7 V p-p, though that's lower than the 4.5 V rms he measured on the AVR-X3300W and the AVR-X5200W.

The funny thing is, and I may be mistaken, but I don't think the impressive SR6004 has HDAMs. I don't think they put HDAMs in AVRs until later years. I should double check the schematics though just to be sure. The SR8012 of course has the latest HDAM version, identical to those in the flag ship AV8805, except they (all channels) are mounted on one board whereas the AV8805's are on separate boards (each channel),for better isolation.
I believe the SR6008 was the first 6000 series to use the HDAMs. Not sure if 7000 series had them earlier with a trickle down or if they were introduced across all series at the same time!

But I don't want to start a bogus theory about HDAM being responsible without more info to support it. Mostly having fun with Marantz's story that the HDAM is a great and substantial improvement (which compels you to buy Marantz to get it) when the reality is it is just a different set of trade-offs from circuitry that was never at issue for the preceding decades that Marantz has been making receivers!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Not so fast!!!

The A860's a case of THD+N vs Volt output.

The SR8012's issue appeared to be an overly protective setting and as Gene explained, prevented him from doing his sweep using continuous sine wave. It should not be an issue for real world movie and music enjoyment, though it is conceivable that someone may get into trouble by listening to compressed music at ref level sitting far enough from their non Klipsch speakers.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe the SR6008 was the first 6000 series to use the HDAMs. Not sure if 7000 series had them earlier with a trickle down or if they were introduced across all series at the same time!

But I don't want to start a bogus theory about HDAM being responsible without more info to support it. Mostly having fun with Marantz's story that the HDAM is a great and substantial improvement (which compels you to buy Marantz to get it) when the reality is it is just a different set of trade-offs from circuitry that was never at issue for the preceding decades that Marantz has been making receivers!
Yeah, I think some, such as Irv, actually prefer ICs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Even now, they didn't bother putting it in their slim line series, but people still think they hear the "warm" sound or Marantz sound from circuitry identical to Denon's in this case.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I had known that (D/M = Demons and Monsters), I might have used holy water on my Demon AVP-A1HDCI. :D
Careful!
You are getting in dangerous trademark lawsuit territory with Monster Cable.
They are ever watching, looking for the next opportunity!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Careful!
You are getting in dangerous trademark lawsuit territory with Monster Cable.
They are ever watching, looking for the next opportunity!
Wow, thanks, I fixed my typo, I hope that's good enough?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis