Yamaha RX-A780 with external amp

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
Hello everyone! First post here, but I have a specific setup that I need some help choosing a receiver for.

So here is what I have:

2 Klipsch RF-82 II fronts outside

2 Klipsch RB-61 II up front in-between the towers and the center

1 Klipsch RC-62 II center

2 Klipsch RP-500SA atoms up-firing

2 Klipsch R-15M sides

2 Klipsch R-14M rear

2 BIC America H-100II 12-Inch sub-woofers

Yamaha A-S501BL which is powering the RF-82 II's and RB-61 II's (I can A/B them depending on whether I want the full sound of the towers or bookshelf speakers)

Yamaha RX-A780 AVENTAGE which I run my TV, turntable, a bluetooth receiver, and Playstation 4 though. This is powering everything else.

When I play music via bluetooth or the turntable only the front speakers fire...I cannot get the subs to output any sound at all. After talking to Yamaha support, I found out that this is a limitation of the receiver and I would have to step up to the A1080 or higher to be able to use the sub at the same time...and I listen to lots of bass heavy music so I want the subs working when I play music. This is my main concern at the exact moment.

My other concern is being able to effectively use the s-501. Do I need to be able to have some sort of passthrough so I'm not preempting into an amp?

I have no use for any extra Zones and I already have a phono preamp so I'm not using the phono input on the receiver.

I want to have a good setup for movies for sure, hence the surround and atmos setup, but I want to make sure my music setup sounds good. I have decent sized room, not gigantic so I won't be needing ridiculous amounts of power, but it's pretty big.

So I want to just upgrade my AV receiver and am thinking about either the Yamaha RX-A1080 or RX-A2080. I can get these for $800 and $1,100 respectively. Am I making the right move here or is there a better option at that price point?

Any help is appreciated!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I play music via bluetooth or the turntable only the front speakers fire...I cannot get the subs to output any sound at all.
Do the subs play when using other sources besides Bluetooth and Turntable?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha A-S501BL which is powering the RF-82 II's and RB-61 II's...Yamaha RX-A780 which I run my TV, turntable, a bluetooth receiver, and Playstation 4 though. This is powering everything else.
Why are you using a 85WPC Integrated Amp with a 95WPC AVR?

Why not keep it simple and just use the AVR by itself and connect everything to the AVR?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
2 Klipsch RF-82 II
2 Klipsch RB-61 II
1 Klipsch RC-62 II
2 Klipsch RP-500SA
2 Klipsch R-15M
2 Klipsch R-14M
2 BIC America H-100II
So you have 11 speakers + 2 subs.

Your current AVR is 7.2, which supports 7 speakers.

If you want to do 7.2.2 (9Ch), then get the A2080 or A3080.

I say move the 85W Integrated Amp and RB-61 speakers to another room.

For your HT room, do 7.2.2, and use the RF-82, RC-62, 500SA, R-15M, and R-14M.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The subs work fine during movies. There just isn't an option to turn the subs on while I am listening to music.
That's weird. So subs work for movies, but not for music?:eek:

Which surround/sound mode are you using for music?

I use DTS NeuralX for my music.

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
Why are you using a 85WPC Integrated Amp with a 95WPC AVR?

Why not keep it simple and just use the AVR by itself and connect everything to the AVR?

Well, the actual power of the a780 isn't actually going to be 95 WPC once I have a bunch of channels hooked up. The benchmark tests on even the a880 seem to be pretty low once it powering 5 speakers.

I started with the tower speakers and the s501 and they sound great, the a780 was added when I decided to do a home theatre setup.. Also it frees up the a780 to supply more power to the other speakers.

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
So you have 11 speakers + 2 subs.

Your current AVR is 7.2, which supports 7 speakers.

If you want to do 7.2.2 (9Ch), then get the A2080 or A3080.

I say move the 85W Integrated Amp and RB-61 speakers to another room.

For your HT room, do 7.2.2, and use the RF-82, RC-62, 500SA, R-15M, and R-14M.

Ok, so I A/B between the front towers and the bookshelf speakers depending on the situation. They are both hooked up to the s501 via the pre-out on the a780...so they are really using the same front signal.

But you are right, I do need to upgrade at this point....things just got out of control because I was finding awesome deals on more speakers ;)

I don't really have another room to put them in since my bedroom is pretty small and all ready has a decent sounder with my TV....and my studio/gaming room has professional studio monitors already.

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
That's weird. So subs work for movies, but not for music?:eek:

Which surround/sound mode are you using for music?

I use DTS NeuralX for my music.
When I put it on "Audio 4" where I have my turntable hooked up it just gives me the option for 2.0. I looked around the settings to try and add the subs somehow but I cannot seem to find it....support said it wasn't an option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I put it on "Audio 4" where I have my turntable hooked up it just gives me the option for 2.0. I looked around the settings to try and add the subs somehow but I cannot seem to find it....support said it wasn't an option.
Took a look at the manual (as I don't trust the phone rep to know even that much), not much help altho seems to indicate you should be able to use the sub if the correct sound mode is engaged. How about the extra bass setting, does that change anything?

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
Took a look at the manual (as I don't trust the phone rep to know even that much), not much help altho seems to indicate you should be able to use the sub if the correct sound mode is engaged. How about the extra bass setting, does that change anything?
I'm going to mess around with it here in a minute and try different sound modes.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
If your subs work for movies there is really no good reason they shouldn't work for music except for maybe the sound mode you are in. Try Dolby Surround.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What source is Audio4? Turntable?

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
So I went to attempt to mess around with the sound settings and one of the subs wouldn't turn on. I thought it might be a fuse so just to check I used the fuse from the other sub...and now they are booth not working!

So, I have BIC sending me a new amp for the one sub that stopped working initially and some new fuses coming from amazon tomorrow.

I will update as soon as I can. Thanks for all the help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, 4 is the turntable and 5 is the bluetooth receiver. They both just appear as 2.0 and only plays form the front L/R.
I only use a HTPC now for my source.

But back in the days when I had multiple sources and Denon AVR, I did notice that for some sources, the Denon AVR would only give me certain sound/audio options.

So I had to CHANGE the DEFAULT source type (like from Tape to DVD, etc.).

So it's possible that for Sources 4 and 5, the AVR only allows 2.0, instead of 5.1, etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a Yamaha guy but they have things like Straight, Through etc IIRC....what are all your settings being used when trying the 2.0 content on sources 4 & 5?

SkyMagnet

SkyMagnet

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to get the other speakers working by messing with the different DSP presets they have, but they all seem to be emulations of different clubs, concert halls, movie theaters, etc...I would love to just be able to choose which speakers I want to use for different situations, but I haven't cracked that one yet.

I am waiting for a replacement amp from BIC for on of my subs, they sent me a new one right away after I showed them my receipt, so good on them.

So my new thing is that I replaced some speakers. My new setup is as follows:

2 Klipsch RF-82 II fronts outside

1 Klipsch RC-62 II center

2 Klipsch RB-61 II side surround

2 Klipsch RB-51 II back surround

2 Klipsch RP-500SA atoms up-firing

2 BIC America H-100II 12-Inch sub-woofers

So after seeing that I can only run a 5.2.2 setup, it looks like I am going to have to go a step up because you can't use the rear surround and atmos at the same time.

So I am going to return my RX-a780 and S501 and get the RX-a2080 for $1,100 open box with 3 year warranty form an authorized dealer.(I'm still skeptical of refurbished electronics)

This way I can get a full 7.2.2 system up and running.

If there is a better receiver at that price point that can do 7.2.2 I am open to suggestions!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I am going to return my RX-a780 and S501 and get the RX-a2080 for $1,100 open box with 3 year warranty form an authorized dealer.(I'm still skeptical of refurbished electronics)

If there is a better receiver at that price point that can do 7.2.2 I am open to suggestions!
Got my stamp of approval. :D

There are other AVR that can do 7.2.2 and 7.2.4, but I would personally say they are not as good as Yamaha. :D

And personally I wouldn’t buy refurbished either. Personally. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still curious what other sound mode settings you had getting in your way before, expect it will be the same with the 2080 in that sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis