Infinity speakers back on sale!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO, when they are on sale, the R162 are the absolute best "Sound Quality for the Buck" speaker at $200/pr!
I think they are a very competitive speaker at their MSRP of $450, handily beating the $500 Elac UniFi B5 (my subjective experience)!

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/reference-series-home/

The reason I consider them the best "Sound Quality for the Buck" speaker is (among the many speakers I have heard) they are the least expensive speaker currently in production that, to my ear, do nothing wrong during casual listening! Perhaps a better way to say that is, unless I am listening critically and deliberately looking for flaws, none will catch my attention. When I look for flaws, they are subtle and well balanced (by well balanced, I mean no specific weakness stands out - I'd rather have a speaker that is 95% perfect in 5 categories than one that is 100% in 4 categories, but 75% in the 5th category)

As someone who spends at least 6 hours a week surrounded by live acoustic instruments, the fact that these do not draw my attention as being deficient makes them impressive speakers and being able to get them for $200/pr makes them absolutely amazing!

Quick comments
If you need a center, and as long as you can afford the size of the larger cabinet, get the RC263, not the RC252. The RC263 is easily worth the $30 difference! Disclosure - I have not heard the RC252. I have the RC263 (which is a great center). On paper, the differences should result in better midrange (from the 3-way design - done right) and better efficiency (from the 6.5" woofers vs the 5.25 mid-woofers of the 252). I know @shadyJ is a big fan of the tweeter over the mid-range design in-between the woofers!

The SUB R10 discounted from $400 MSRP to $130 is pretty enticing, but if you want a sub, go with the R12 instead! I don't know if inventory is low or if they want to sell more of the R10's, but you have to play hide and seek to find the R12:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/SUBR12BK.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3308392364&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Brand+(No+Product)&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=520457207964_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_components&product_id=SUBR12BK&utm_content=Infinity&adpos=1o1&creative=289426932644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kDoIsFyneWHE30ByjswJWk4gbXBRDQuzQjuLni-y_HoZw8NtWYAu-waAn0UEALw_wcB

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I just did a look see on the towers some interesting speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just did a look see on the towers some interesting speakers.
Yeah Infinity has definitely put some good engineering into these.
It is also interesting that they are likely one of the earlier designs to employ flat-piston drivers like Dennis chose for his BMR design!

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I’m running the 162 and the 263 center.
Amazing performance for the price.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I’ve had the R162s hitting over 100db on the meter and not any distortion and sounding amazing.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
IMHO, when they are on sale, the R162 are the absolute best "Sound Quality for the Buck" speaker at $200/pr!
I think they are a very competitive speaker at their MSRP of $450, handily beating the $500 Elac UniFi B5 (my subjective experience)!

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/reference-series-home/

The reason I consider them the best "Sound Quality for the Buck" speaker is (among the many speakers I have heard) they are the least expensive speaker currently in production that, to my ear, do nothing wrong during casual listening! Perhaps a better way to say that is, unless I am listening critically and deliberately looking for flaws, none will catch my attention. When I look for flaws, they are subtle and well balanced (by well balanced, I mean no specific weakness stands out - I'd rather have a speaker that is 95% perfect in 5 categories than one that is 100% in 4 categories, but 75% in the 5th category)

As someone who spends at least 6 hours a week surrounded by live acoustic instruments, the fact that these do not draw my attention as being deficient makes them impressive speakers and being able to get them for $200/pr makes them absolutely amazing!

Quick comments
If you need a center, and as long as you can afford the size of the larger cabinet, get the RC263, not the RC252. The RC263 is easily worth the $30 difference! Disclosure - I have not heard the RC252. I have the RC263 (which is a great center). On paper, the differences should result in better midrange (from the 3-way design - done right) and better efficiency (from the 6.5" woofers vs the 5.25 mid-woofers of the 252). I know @shadyJ is a big fan of the tweeter over the mid-range design in-between the woofers!

The SUB R10 discounted from $400 MSRP to $130 is pretty enticing, but if you want a sub, go with the R12 instead! I don't know if inventory is low or if they want to sell more of the R10's, but you have to play hide and seek to find the R12:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/SUBR12BK.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3308392364&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Brand+(No+Product)&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=520457207964_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_components&product_id=SUBR12BK&utm_content=Infinity&adpos=1o1&creative=289426932644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kDoIsFyneWHE30ByjswJWk4gbXBRDQuzQjuLni-y_HoZw8NtWYAu-waAn0UEALw_wcB
Nice - the R10 goes down to 31HZ while the R12 dips slightly lower to 29. Heck for $130 I might buy the R10 and store it since I cant really use it in an upstairs apt right now. Thanks for the heads up KEW!

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Nice - the R10 goes down to 31HZ while the R12 dips slightly lower to 29. Heck for $130 I might buy the R10 and store it since I cant really use it in an upstairs apt right now. Thanks for the heads up KEW!
Yeah I was torn between 2 R12s vs a single Hsu15h mk2 on the last sale.... I went with the Hsu after some feedback from @shadyJ

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
You did the right thing.
Yep so far it’s excellent for movies, I have to raise the level for music tho,
Be nice to have 2..... but next years upgrade is a 2020 model LG oled... from my 2016 Samsung KS9000

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Yep so far it’s excellent for movies, I have to raise the level for music tho,
Be nice to have 2..... but next years upgrade is a 2020 model LG oled... from my 2016 Samsung KS9000
Totally understand. Got to feed the eyes as well as the ears.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Last 2 years it’s been audio lol, next year its gotta be eyes.
Same here. I finally upgraded my old TV last year and now both my senses are happy. I actually impulsively ordered a pair of these speakers based on KEW's recommend the other day. Not exactly sure why I did that as I need more speakers like I need a hole in my head but I'll swap out my Wharfedale Diamond bookshelves when they arrive and give them a listen. I figured for just under 200 bucks I wasn't hurting myself too bad and I could return them if I wasn't happy with their sound. I doubt that will happen though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Same here. I finally upgraded my old TV last year and now both my senses are happy. I actually impulsively ordered a pair of these speakers based on KEW's recommend the other day. Not exactly sure why I did that as I need more speakers like I need a hole in my head but I'll swap out my Wharfedale Diamond bookshelves when they arrive and give them a listen. I figured for just under 200 bucks I wasn't hurting myself too bad and I could return them if I wasn't happy with their sound. I doubt that will happen though.
Definitely let us know what you think after you get them.
I think you'll be happy, but Wharfedale does make nice speakers!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! For the price them R12s are still a good deal.
Yes. If you are all about full solid bass LFE for HT, spend more and look elsewhere, but these are fine subs for music with decent gratification for HT (depending what your expectations are) at a great price.
From my perspective the really deep bass of the subs Shady recommends is fun for some extra "nervous giggles" when the content is there! I do not mean that in a derogatory way, in the least! It is a kind of magic to have that kind of bass at home watching tv! If you have the coin and the place, by all means, get the big guns.
But if you don't, these are solidly designed well-behaved subs at a great price!

PS - I have not actually heard the R10. It seems a reasonable assumption that it is of similar design as the R12 which I have been using for the past 3 months.

Last edited:
R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Definitely let us know what you think after you get them.
I think you'll be happy, but Wharfedale does make nice speakers!
I will KEW. They get here tomorrow. The Wharfedales are very nice(bought them open box through Music Direct at a great price) but I only use them for certain types of music. I like a more neutral speaker for everything else. I bought the WD 10.1's off of a forum recommend as well and kept them. I figured for under 200 bucks shipped and you're glowing recommend I'm not on too long of a branch for my listening biases. I also never put back my other RBH bookshelves after getting the WD's. If I really like these Infinity's I could finally sell them off and keep the WD's and the new ones and pick a few bucks back up in the process.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Well KEW I finally got the speakers in tonight and I just had a chance to finally open the box up due to a family member unexpectedly breaking their foot stepping off of a tall curb and they are both damaged. One had the driver just hanging out of the enclosure with absolutely no screws holding it in and I only found 3 of the black screws even loose in the box. Plus the top is torn up as well. The other one looks perfectly fine but when I shake it it seems like the whole crossover board has come completely loose inside the speaker.

What's strange is the speaker grilles that are in cardboard directly in front of both speakers are perfectly fine and the box isn't damaged other than a couple of slight outer box tears here and there. This wasn't damaged in shipping IMHO. These are big bookshelves by the way. Almost 16 inches tall for God's sake. Oh well. Time to find out how good Infinity's customer service is.

EDIT: Found one more driver screw so only 2 are still missing. Probably in the enclosure itself along with the broken port tube. That's what's broken and rolling around on the 2nd lesser damaged one as well.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looking at the photos, your first pic looks like something punched into the box in the top right area, but that doesn't really explain loose port tubes in both speakers.
I have bought several refurbbed BT speakers from Harman and have always been very impressed at how they looked brand new and were so well packaged! So I am pretty astounded that they are throwing busted stuff in a box and sending it out! Who knows, maybe someone in the packing department was pissed off about something! I hope this is not a reflection of the future of Samsung's ownership of Harman!
Are the threads where the screws go stripped out?
Good luck with Harman, I suspect they will take care of you just fine.
Sorry about the hassle, but thanks for letting us know!

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Yeah mine came in perfect condition, this is really strange... shipping or an asshole Harmon employee I’m guessing

My experience with their customer service has been good, and they are covered by a life time warranty, so you shouldn’t have any problems.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Looking at the photos, your first pic looks like something punched into the box in the top right area, but that doesn't really explain loose port tubes in both speakers.
I have bought several refurbbed BT speakers from Harman and have always been very impressed at how they looked brand new and were so well packaged! So I am pretty astounded that they are throwing busted stuff in a box and sending it out! Who knows, maybe someone in the packing department was pissed off about something! I hope this is not a reflection of the future of Samsung's ownership of Harman!
Are the threads where the screws go stripped out?
Good luck with Harman, I suspect they will take care of you just fine.
Sorry about the hassle, but thanks for letting us know!
No worries . Stuff happens and this is the first time I've gotten something damaged in the mail so I guess I was due for my turn. That spot inside the box is just a bit of the inner cardboard ripped loose . There's a small outside dent and small tear on the outside on one side of the box but it just looks like normal warehouse to warehouse type of stuff. The more I think about it maybe the box was dropped and the shipping foam wasn't enough to stop the speakers from compressing since their not MDF and everything just broke loose. The weight of the larger driver being too much for the wood screws into fiberboard. Just speculation but I'm sure they will take care of everything fine. I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis