What kind of basic device needed to play 4 ohm speakers?

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
Hi all, first time visitor and hope this is the right forum for my question.
I'm a computer geek and know next to nothing about audio.

I have a pair of Bose 151 Indoor/outdoor speakers mounted outside.
On the back, it says
Rated from 10-80 watts/channel
40 watts IEC
Impedance 4 ohms.

I would like to find a very inexpensive device (amp?) to power them for
a) playing tunes from an MP3 player - via the headphones jack
b) playing tunes from my laptop - via the headphones jack.

I'm in Canada so the seasonal window for use is very small
And I'm not looking to blast party music - just local, on-the-deck listening with the odd time a bit louder when I'm further away in the yard.
Hence a very small budget for this limited use.
Can anyone recommend a suitable inexpensive device, preferrably from amazon.ca or a Cdn retailer?
Is sub $100 possible?

Cheers!
steve

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A modest amplifier capable of 4 ohm loads shouldn't be too hard to find. Even in Canada, but less than CAD 100 will limit what you get. This would work I think https://www.amazon.ca/Lepy-LP-2051-Audio-Component-Amplifier/dp/B01M6BMKD6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4+ohm+amplifier&qid=1558549453&rnid=5264023011&s=electronics&sr=1-3

As long as you don't expect concert levels it should work fine. Want something of higher quality used can be a good way to go.....maybe check out kijiji (I think that's what it's called)?

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
A modest amplifier capable of 4 ohm loads shouldn't be too hard to find. Even in Canada, but less than CAD 100 will limit what you get. This would work I think .......

As long as you don't expect concert levels it should work fine. Want something of higher quality used can be a good way to go.....maybe check out kijiji (I think that's what it's called)?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
I will look into this one as well as Kijiji.
BTW, in terms of "something of higher quality", what specs would I be looking at to determine with it's higher (or lower) quality?

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
This is
None of the "cheap" small amps are going to deliver much power. There is one that claims 200W but I bought one, had it replaced twice and none of them worked so I would not recommend it. here's a few others..........

This is helpful - I appreciate the added info and links. I will check them out.
I'd rather spend the little bit more, if needed, to buy once, rather than learn/buy/repeat.

I should have also mentioned that no, not looking for theater-grade sound - but something a little better than my laptop speakers or an inexpensive sound bar - something to enable me to get something out of the Bose since they're already sitting out there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
I will look into this one as well as Kijiji.
BTW, in terms of "something of higher quality", what specs would I be looking at to determine with it's higher (or lower) quality?
The audio quality and general spec of these types of amps are fine, more talking about general features/long term usefulness/capabilities sort of thing and one with more than a wall-wart power supply....a few years ago I picked up something similar, a Lepai 2020A+ to fool around with (I have many other amps around)....why I think for your purposes you'd be fine with one of these for your stated purpose. Kinda depends on your long term audio desires, tho....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The audio quality and general spec of these types of amps are fine, more talking about general features/long term usefulness/capabilities sort of thing and one with more than a wall-wart power supply....a few years ago I picked up something similar, a Lepai 2020A+ to fool around with (I have many other amps around)....why I think for your purposes you'd be fine with one of these for your stated purpose. Kinda depends on your long term audio desires, tho....
The Lepai is good for what it is. A small, cheap chip-amp. I have 1 in an arcade build, and a copy-cat Kinter amp in a different build. My Lepai runs a set of small Dayton Audio cube speakers, and it sounds surprisingly good for a small cheap amp running small cheap speakers, like $60 for the combo.

I did want to mention that the new model is likely a little better (linked above),as it certainly has a better quality TI chip now, and the new model is the 2020TI to reflect that update. I can't remember which one I have, I bought it around the time of the transition.

I agree that I typically "don't like wall warts" for amps, but that chip really takes care of those types of concerns, from the datasheet:
Feedback Power-Stage Architecture With High PSRR Reduces PSU Requirements

EDIT: https://www.parts-express.com/DisplayProductVideo.aspx?VideoID=3002&zpid=39930

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Lepai is good for what it is. A small, cheap chip-amp. I have 1 in an arcade build, and a copy-cat Kinter amp in a different build. My Lepai runs a set of small Dayton Audio cube speakers, and it sounds surprisingly good for a small cheap amp running small cheap speakers, like $60 for the combo.

I did want to mention that the new model is likely a little better (linked above),as it certainly has a better quality TI chip now, and the new model is the 2020TI to reflect that update. I can't remember which one I have, I bought it around the time of the transition.

I agree that I typically "don't like wall warts" for amps, but that chip really takes care of those types of concerns, from the datasheet:

EDIT: https://www.parts-express.com/DisplayProductVideo.aspx?VideoID=3002&zpid=39930
Agreed. My comment about wall warts were general for the variety of these types of amps, not a specific one. I noticed when looking around some have ratings dependent on using a higher powered wall-wart than came with the amp in some cases even.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed. My comment about wall warts were general for the variety of these types of amps, not a specific one. I noticed when looking around some have ratings dependent on using a higher powered wall-wart than came with the amp in some cases even.
Yup, and from what I've seen, that looks to be pretty common. And, many of these don't even come with a PS, you must source your own.

Looks like you would get the best performance/power from something along the lines of a laptop PS.

But, that is one of the advantages of these chip amp designs, a fairly large PS usable voltage range!

S

steve1771

Audiophyte

Appreciate the suggestions and advice. Very helpful.
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind we're talking about old Bose outdoor speakers....so qualities in the amp are going to be of minimal impact compared to what the speakers can do....but that's where I ask about future audio considerations....

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
Yup, and from what I've seen, that looks to be pretty common. And, many of these don't even come with a PS, you must source your own.

Looks like you would get the best performance/power from something along the lines of a laptop PS.

But, that is one of the advantages of these chip amp designs, a fairly large PS usable voltage range!
Thanks - more useful info - I found myself assuming they come with a power supply.

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
Keep in mind we're talking about old Bose outdoor speakers....so qualities in the amp are going to be of minimal impact compared to what the speakers can do....but that's where I ask about future audio considerations....
Ahh now I see.
Well, we don't plan to to stay in this house beyond 2 more years before downsizing and the speakers will remain.
So in that regard, it's a very limited window of use, both seasonally and years-wise.
Thanks for that heads up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh now I see.
Well, we don't plan to to stay in this house beyond 2 more years before downsizing and the speakers will remain.
So in that regard, it's a very limited window of use, both seasonally and years-wise.
Thanks for that heads up.
The amp will remain useful, but depending what kind of audio setup you do in the next place, may or may not be the best way to go. Bose speakers are just generally meh.

S

steve1771

Audiophyte
A modest amplifier capable of 4 ohm loads shouldn't be too hard to find. Even in Canada, but less than CAD 100 will limit what you get. This would work I think https://www.amazon.ca/Lepy-LP-2051-Audio-Component-Amplifier/dp/B01M6BMKD6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4+ohm+amplifier&qid=1558549453&rnid=5264023011&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I finally got this done. I ordered the Lepy as you suggested and just finished wiring it and trying it out.
It's a perfect fit for *my* needs and with these speakers. Not blasting volumes but great for background listening.
A great starting point for me.
And as a bonus, I scored a Warehouse deal on it from Amazon - about 50% off.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice and learning-links.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis