little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance and opinions on my next AV purchase. Particularly a device to stream 4k. I currently have an Oppo 105. Although Netflix and Vudu look and sound quite good, it's not in 4k. When we do want to watch something in 4k, I need to first turn on the HDMI control (ARC) in my receiver and then use the Netflix and Vudu app in the Sony TV. It's kind of clunky and not very convenient.

So my question is, would my money be better spent on some kind of device that streams 4k, OR, a 4k disc player that also streams? I have never been a big buyer of movies, so I'm not sure if that's going to change. Another question is, do 4k discs look a lot better than Blu-rays ? And finally, is it possible to rent 4k UHD discs anywhere, if I did buy a player?

Thanks for any help.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A streaming device like the Chromecast Ultra can stream in UHD (4K) along with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Dolby Atmos, and you just connect the Chromecast to an HDMI port (usually the receiver). However, the receiver must not be too old as not to support HDCP 2.2 (copy protection) as well as has support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision (preferably).

The apps on Chromecast is usually updated much more often than corresponding apps in your TV or 4K player.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance and opinions on my next AV purchase. Particularly a device to stream 4k. I currently have an Oppo 105. Although Netflix and Vudu look and sound quite good, it's not in 4k. When we do want to watch something in 4k, I need to first turn on the HDMI control (ARC) in my receiver and then use the Netflix and Vudu app in the Sony TV. It's kind of clunky and not very convenient.

So my question is, would my money be better spent on some kind of device that streams 4k, OR, a 4k disc player that also streams? I have never been a big buyer of movies, so I'm not sure if that's going to change. Another question is, do 4k discs look a lot better than Blu-rays ? And finally, is it possible to rent 4k UHD discs anywhere, if I did buy a player?

Thanks for any help.
littlewing!! where you been hiding bro? i was just tell ADTG, that some of the ole members have been MIA.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
A streaming device like the Chromecast Ultra can stream in UHD (4K) along with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Dolby Atmos, and you just connect the Chromecast to an HDMI port (usually the receiver). However, the receiver must not be too old as not to support HDCP 2.2 (copy protection) as well as has support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision (preferably).

The apps on Chromecast is usually updated much more often than corresponding apps in your TV or 4K player.
Chromecast Ultra - Thanks Trell, that might be an option. The receiver is the Yammy 3060, so I think the HDMI inputs should be ok for Dolby Vision. Now finding Dolby Vision content is another issue altogether :cool:

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
littlewing!! where you been hiding bro? i was just tell ADTG, that some of the ole members have been MIA.
Hey Phase 2!! - No where man, just hanging out here in Arizona. Lurking mostly and not posting much. Enjoying my system these days and trying to resist the upgrade bug. :)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Hey everyone,

Thanks for any help.
Have you tried switching on your video processing on your Yamaha? I had Cox cable running to my Yamaha, but it only up converts when it's HDMI input. So even my Blu-ray play is upcoverted to 4K video works really good.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Chromecast Ultra - Thanks Trell, that might be an option. The receiver is the Yammy 3060, so I think the HDMI inputs should be ok for Dolby Vision. Now finding Dolby Vision content is another issue altogether :cool:
Yeah, I think that the 3060 got a firmware update adding Dolby Vision pass through, but as you write, there is the icky issue of content. I'm still not updated my old Panny plasma to an OLED, perhaps this year.

As for the Chromecast Ultra, you should consider connecting it to LAN instead of wireless as that might give better performance. The Ultra has support for LAN while the older Chromecasts a special power supply from Google for this, which I bought.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yeah, I think that the 3060 got a firmware update adding Dolby Vision pass through, but as you write, there is the icky issue of content. I'm still not updated my old Panny plasma to an OLED, perhaps this year.

As for the Chromecast Ultra, you should consider connecting it to LAN instead of wireless as that might give better performance. The Ultra has support for LAN while the older Chromecasts a special power supply from Google for this, which I bought.
Yes, the 3060, the Sony 4k TV and the Oppo are all hardwired to the router. Ethernet gives the best performance no doubt. But to me discs gives the absolute best performance.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A note about the Chromecast Ultra is that you have to control everything with your phone. Some don't mind, some do.

The other options (of which there are many) are Android TV (which is what your Sony TV likely has), Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV 4K. All have different offerings, but most have the big ones (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, etc.) so you'd just need to pick the one that has the features you're looking for.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Have you tried switching on your video processing on your Yamaha? I had Cox cable running to my Yamaha, but it only up converts when it's HDMI input. So even my Blu-ray play is upcoverted to 4K video works really good.
Good point - No I haven't. The Yamaha does no video processing for me, I set it to simply pass through the video signal. I may give that I shot though.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A note about the Chromecast Ultra is that you have to control everything with your phone. Some don't mind, some do.

The other options (of which there are many) are Android TV, Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV 4K. All have different offerings, but most have the big ones (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, etc.) so you'd just need to pick the one that has the features you're looking for.
Almost, the Chromecast has support for HDMI-CEC which I use for play/pause/stop on my Harmony remote. If you are bing-watching a series you can skip to the next episode at the end of an episode.

Edit: The bing-watching episode skipping with play-button was for Netflix.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Good point - No I haven't. The Yamaha does no video processing for me, I set it to simply pass through the video signal. I may give that I shot though.
it will work bro! i had mine off, than i was messing around with the settings one day saw it was set to direct, which is pass-through switched to processing and wallah everything 4K video now and my 7790 no where's near the Yamaha you have.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
it will work bro! i had mine off, than i was messing around with the settings one day saw it was set to direct, which is pass-through switched to processing and wallah everything 4K video now and my 7790 no where's near the Yamaha you have.
Thanks Phase 2, I had it set to Direct, but I see there is a processing choice.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Phase 2, I had it set to Direct, but I see there is a processing choice.
I to had forgotten that Yamaha has that 4K thing but it has to be set to (Processing) plus the source has to be HDMI. You have the A2070 right? My Yamaha is TSR-7790 which I believe is right under the A870. The video upscale on my unit is 2.0a for 4K HDCP 2.2. Anyways your AVR is in the Flagship line should be able to do what mine does and more. Plus your OSD has a Lot more settings also.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Almost, the Chromecast has support for HDMI-CEC which I use for play/pause/stop on my Harmony remote. If you are bing-watching a series you can skip to the next episode at the end of an episode.
Good point. CEC has always been one of those things that should be awesome, but sometimes isn't.

My projector doesn't have CEC so back when I tried to use it (control software with my PC) it freaked out since the display didn't have CEC, but the receiver and STB did. It's always hit or miss, but if it works, then awesome.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I to had forgotten that Yamaha has that 4K thing but it has to be set to (Processing) plus the source has to be HDMI. You have the A2070 right? My Yamaha is TSR-7790 which I believe is right under the A870. The video upscale on my unit is 2.0a for 4K HDCP 2.2. Anyways your AVR is in the Flagship line should be able to do what mine does and more. Plus your OSD has a Lot more settings also.
No I have the 3060. Yamaha passes through a 4k signal but I'm not actually sure what the processing function does. There are several channels on direct TV that are 4k and the receiver passes the signal as is, and it looks good. I'm thinking I might be better off just getting a 4K disc player that also streams.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No I have the 3060. Yamaha passes through a 4k signal but I'm not actually sure what the processing function does. There are several channels on direct TV that are 4k and the receiver passes the signal as is, and it looks good. I'm thinking I might be better off just getting a 4K disc player that also streams.
You won't have any issues with that receiver. Just set the video to pass through and be done.

As for a disc player that streams, they tend to have the same issues as TVs with streaming capability. They simply stop getting updated at some point. That and they are usually underpowered and can get pretty frustrating to use. I will always pull for having separate boxes for each job.

The fire stick 4k is a great deal for what it is and I think it'll give you a good idea of what a good streaming device should/could be capable of.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
To my eye some 4K Blu-Ray discs look better than 1080P Blu-Rays, it's not a huge difference but it's there. But not all, but some "4K" BD discs don't (to my eye) seem to be that much of an improvement, probably due to having been shot in 35mm and (I've read) been limited to 2k rendered special effects. I'm not in the special effects business so I cannot attest to the veracity of those 2k limitation stories. What does catch my eye with a 4K disc is HDR. FWIW I did invest in a 4K player and buy a disc when I see something that I think I'll enjoy more than once or twice.

As for streaming the last tool that I'd use for streaming is a disc player. My experience is that way too few ever see an app upgrade, and even when they do it's rarely for more than a year. I use an NVIDIA ShieldTV for Netflix and, VUDU, Youtube, and Amazon Prime, and as a Plex client. I'd also look into the latest top of the line Roku set top box for the massive number of channels and regular app updates that it provides. However I've always found Rokus a bit doggy for my taste - especially with Youtube. Of course that may have changed since I gifted my last Roku to a friend almost two years ago. I hate Amazon Prime's Amazon-centric interface so I'm not a fan of their FireTV but they have decent hardware. All of these receive regular app updates.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Good point. CEC has always been one of those things that should be awesome, but sometimes isn't.

My projector doesn't have CEC so back when I tried to use it (control software with my PC) it freaked out since the display didn't have CEC, but the receiver and STB did. It's always hit or miss, but if it works, then awesome.
Yeah, and I do not want the CEC to mess around when I use Harmony universal remote. So the only thing I use CEC for is to control the Chromecast so only the TV and receiver have CEC enabled, and other features of CEC like power on/off, audio/input switching etc, are disabled.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
To my eye some 4K Blu-Ray discs look better than 1080P Blu-Rays, it's not a huge difference but it's there. But not all, but some "4K" BD discs don't (to my eye) seem to be that much of an improvement, probably due to having been shot in 35mm and (I've read) been limited to 2k rendered special effects. I'm not in the special effects business so I cannot attest to the veracity of those 2k limitation stories. What does catch my eye with a 4K disc is HDR. FWIW I did invest in a 4K player and buy a disc when I see something that I think I'll enjoy more than once or twice.

As for streaming the last tool that I'd use for streaming is a disc player. My experience is that way too few ever see an app upgrade, and even when they do it's rarely for more than a year. I use an NVIDIA ShieldTV for Netflix and, VUDU, Youtube, and Amazon Prime, and as a Plex client. I'd also look into the latest top of the line Roku set top box for the massive number of channels and regular app updates that it provides. However I've always found Rokus a bit doggy for my taste - especially with Youtube. Of course that may have changed since I gifted my last Roku to a friend almost two years ago. I hate Amazon Prime's Amazon-centric interface so I'm not a fan of their FireTV but they have decent hardware. All of these receive regular app updates.
Thank you Sholling - very informative. I agree that not all 4k content is created equal. Some 4k shows on Direct TV definitely look better than others. It's not a huge difference, but like you said it's notable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis