Best speaker wattage match?

R

RHD

Enthusiast
I have a Denon AVR-X1500H rated at 80w per channel. Would a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers rated for 85/340 or 100/400 be the best match?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Wattage has almost no determination in which speakers/amps will match. As long as you use common sense to turn it down when it sounds bad or distorted, any amp will match.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at the sensitivity and impedance specs to see what would be more appropriate for the amp you have; as was said the speaker wattage ratings aren't very useful except as melting points usually (and not likely they'll sound good at these levels of input). Klipsch tends to have fairly good sensitivity ratings so they work well with most amps well enough. Should choose the speaker on what sounds better to you more than worry about the amplification, tho. What specific models of Klipsch do you have?

R

RHD

Enthusiast
I'd look at the sensitivity and impedance specs to see what would be more appropriate for the amp you have; as was said the speaker wattage ratings aren't very useful except as melting points usually (and not likely they'll sound good at these levels of input). Klipsch tends to have fairly good sensitivity ratings so they work well with most amps well enough. Should choose the speaker on what sounds better to you more than worry about the amplification, tho. What specific models of Klipsch do you have?
Considering Klipsch RP-160m

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if you take Klipsch's sensitivity figures down a few dB (say from 96 to 93) to account for their in-room spec rather than anechoic, they're still fairly high sensitivity and most amps wouldn't have trouble driving them to uncomfortably loud levels....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis