B&W Centre HTM62 S2 vs Polk CS 10

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
To B(&W) or not to B is the question. Damn, Shakespeare had the same question I think
:)
My current set up
LR -B&W 603s 2018 model
C - Polk CS10 - Got a used HTM62 S2 hence the question
SR- Bose 301 series V
AVR - Yamaha Aventage A870
Questions- I use my set up more for Movies & HT
1. All things being same and with no brand bias, which Centre Speaker SHOULD SOUND GOOD.
2. As my centre speaker can be placed Vertically , would that be recommended.
3. Can I have 2 Centres somehow- 1 connected to the Centre on the AVR and the other connected to any of the balance ones ( additional Surrounds/ Atmos). Not sure of the outcome but just to try it out. Just dont want to blow my AVR
I have attached the pic of the 2 Center Speakers and want some help here friends. Thanks

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am not a big fan of either center design. If I were you, I would try to get a B&W 606 or 607 and use that as a center, not a HTM6. The HTM6 isn't really a match for the 603s, because the horizontal dispersion will be completely different. The 606 or 607 should be a much better match.

To answer your question about vertical placement, either center could probably be used vertically, in fact I would expect them to behave a lot better in that orientation.

I wouldn't use the other center as speaker in another channel unless you have another matching speaker. That would make for a pretty strange surround soundstage.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Have you... perhaps... listened to them?

You have both on hand... most of us do not ;)

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
I am not a big fan of either center design. If I were you, I would try to get a B&W 606 or 607 and use that as a center, not a HTM6. The HTM6 isn't really a match for the 603s, because the horizontal dispersion will be completely different. The 606 or 607 should be a much better match.

To answer your question about vertical placement, either center could probably be used vertically, in fact I would expect them to behave a lot better in that orientation.

I wouldn't use the other center as speaker in another channel unless you have another matching speaker. That would make for a pretty strange surround soundstage.
Thank you SJ. My current budget after buying the 603s was limited and hence went for the htm62

P

Poofables

Enthusiast
Htm62 is going to be voiced a little different than your 603’s but it will work. I would save your pennies and get the matching center to your 603’s and sell off the rest of them.

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Htm62 is going to be voiced a little different than your 603’s but it will work. I would save your pennies and get the matching center to your 603’s and sell off the rest of them.
Hi- So currently I have a used HTM62 BUT if I get a HTM7 ( 2018 series) or the HTM6 (2018)- would it make a big difference? I am getting an open box HTM72 within the same cost of an open box HTM6. so wondering

P

Poofables

Enthusiast
The change from Kevlar to Continoum for the midrange definitely makes a difference in the sound character of the speakers. The old series was also really good, just voiced different than the new one. There is also a small efficiency difference between them.

Running room correction on your receiver should be able to compensate for the efficiency difference. If it were my personal system I probably wouldn’t have a problem with the mismatched center for a while, but it’s not ideal, and I don’t want to recommend it to anyone. Even if it’s far from the most awful thing I will read on this forum in the next ten min.

If you’ve made up your mind that you’re for sure getting the older center, do it and try it. If you like it, keep it.

Also remember that not having a center channel is an option as well. As long as you’re sitting in the sweet spot between the left and right speakers and your receiver knows you don’t have a center, you won’t be able to tell the difference. Anyone outside of the sweet spot will hear a huge difference though. So if it’s only you watching, maybe hold off for a little while until you have enough for the matching center.

P

Poofables

Enthusiast
Sorry I just reread the question. The 700 series center will work well with the 600s. Do that.

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Sorry I just reread the question. The 700 series center will work well with the 600s. Do that.
Thank you P. I agree with all that you stated :) I now have 2 centers Polk and B&W. looking at selling them both, convincing my wife and then buying the HTM7 is available else the HTM6. Thank you and have a good weekend.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis